Never see anyone anchored midriver

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by onlyriverfish, Sep 24, 2006.

1. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Just wondering if others fish anchored mid-river in channel on missouri. Never see others doing it.

There are many spots where the blues are holding right behind structure that has baitfish resting there. Be no way to fish these from bank as current wouldnt allow the angle even with 1lb weight.

Seems common on other rivers here on BOC.

Ran accross this doing some unrelated research:

"Because proper anchoring is difficult in the Missouri's heavy current, King notes that anglers fail to fish numerous blue catfish lairs --- especially those that lie under the swiftest current and the ones that are situated in the middle of the river."
    http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4179/is_20050327/ai_n13476679

2. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have fished all over the river on a given day and I have a anchor that allows me too hold where ever I choose to fish.working on a way to fish more mid river places but it will take time to figure out the proper way to do it. Some places will be easy and others will take some thinkin and trying new stuff to do it.I do know that if you can learn something new everytime ya go out you are trying to improve and get better at chasing what ya after.Have you ever just ran up river and just drifted down river and watched the graph to really see what you have been missing. I have found midriver rock ledges that most people would never know about.

3. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Billy,
    Ditto.
    few weeks ago I made a drag weight using a small tractor tube filled w/sand and tied a rope to it and bow. The test was to find the right weight for my boat to slow to about 1mph and see how boat reacted to passing "tuna boat waves". I tracked channel perfectly for 7miles and waves however big were no problem-immediate correction.
    I was amazed what I saw slowing down to 1mph that seemed to miss going faster. Maybe its cause drag followed channel better than I do with motor.

I think there is 50% or more untouched fishing water there.

I since do alot more mid-river using digger anchor and works well.

Find many spots bank line just wouldnt touch and youd have to know of them via sonar to target them properly. Anchoring in channel is only way.

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    if you are drifting at 1 mile per hour why not drop a couple lines and drift fish the middle of the river my brother and i do well drifting the middle of the ohio river dont see why the missouri would be any different , good luck

5. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Billy,
    I know what you are talking about...I have drifted the middle of the river several times and have found some great drops 10-15 at a time... I know there should be fish in them, but i need to learn how to anchor on them and get my bait to stay down. Are you fishing the tourney on the 14th of Oct??

6. Styx

Styx New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I caught my first blue drifting by alton dam on the mississippi.

7. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Charles.
    Doing some now.
    Havent had success yet, but not done much except when not bitting. Have to drop to one rod to keep it downriver of drift. Havent tried dragging bait(s).
    Do think it will pay-off, just hard to spend time doing it when having success otherwise. :big_smile:
    Do like to hunt-fish by looking for them first, then position for increase adrenalin time be it flatheads or blues.

8. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    I get real spooked being out in the middle of the river, the barges crank down the Ohio can sneak right up on you in a moments notice and if your engine fails to start your toast just seen too many people get run over, Barges know they have the right of way I hate hearing that air horn at full blast mode you know somebody is in trouble.

Now I fish mainly during daylight hours, and drifting is just not my style of fishing but I'm going to have to learn to do it to stay competative in tournaments when there is no current, what times I have drifted it's just a ton of work for me, I barely have the weights touching the bottom and it seems when I feel real confident I'm doing it right, that's when a hump shows up on the screen and all the rods are hung up, drfting really stresses me out, maybe I'm doing it wrong who knows, I have a drag weight to slow the boat down made out of 3 inch PVC and three foot long filled with sand has an eye bolt sticking out the end that I attach the anchor rope to it does a great job of keeping my big boat barely moving, I like to have my rods in the rod holders in doing so I fish kind of backwards from my normal style of fishing............Doc

9. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Good Post Again James!! I am off thursday and I've got to go up to the cabin cause I know the grass needs mowing as I haven't been up there for three weeks now, and was thinking of draging the boat up and doing some fishing an try the channel like you have suggested. How big of a boat do you fish out of? and how much weight did You have to put in the innertube drag that you are useing to slow the Boat down to 1 mph. Mine is an 18 ft. lund and loaded with my gear, gas and such i'm guessing it's probably around 1400 Lbs. or so. Thanks again Your Friend J.D.
    :smile2:

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Barge traffic is a non-issue on the Missouri. Other than 1 sand barge near KC I haven't see any commercial traffic at all in the last 3 months.

I think the only effective way to fish the main channel is to drift - just don't see how you have a chance of anchoring accurately in all that current and water 15 or 20 ft deep. At least, I'm not good enough with the sonar and anchor tossing to put myself exactly where I want to be. Maybe someday, but not today.

Everyone reading this needs to remember that the Missouri is a lot different than other rivers around the country - the current *never* stops (there are no locks and dams to create pools) and the current flows faster than many or most other rivers - 3 to 5 mph at the minimum. So when we talk about "drifting" on the Missouri, it really means floating downstream in some controlled fashion - wind direction and speed doesn't really come into play.

Haven't tried drifting in the river yet, but it's moving up rapidly on my "to do" list. Think you almost have to hold your rod in your hands to have any chance of success. 3 to 4 oz of weight and a 3-way rig of some sort seems to be the usual rigging.

Plan to use the trolling motor to slow me down, but think trying to drift exactly here or exactly there is a but too much effort - just get in the channel, get the speed under control and let the current take you where it takes you. I might find that the trolling motor won't work, in which case I'll have to think about dragging something to slow me down.

11. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    JD,
    I have an 18ft 94beam with 90 4stroke its well loaded (2000-2400?) and find 50lb sand too much. Around 35-40 seems about right.
    I use the small round tube so to get a hook or arch so rope end rides higher and less snag-drags easier.
    Trying bunch of things-chains, several window weights tied,etc...
    Best so far is 25lb sand in small tube supplimented with one or more window weights to match terrain-speed desired in channel at that stretch.

Guy years back drifted by me floating with suspended rig and regret now that I didnt talk with him more about what he was doing. I was flathead fishing then and not into blues like I am now or would have.

I do believe the biggest fish have learned to survive by staying in that channel structure that is seldom fished. Least that where most all my effort goes toward.

12. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Ditto here Marty re barges.
    Seen only handful of barges this year all but one was rock for reventments. Wish there were more loaded ones for structure!

I anchor anywhere using one of 2-digger anchors with 4ft chain attached. Use quick-clip to switch between diggers depending on hold needed. I fish alot of bridge pillings and waters faster there than anywhere.

I dont think C-rig is best if rod is bottom bouncing downriver from boat. I use Palamar tag line for weight and figure mr biggie over 50 doesnt care if its heavy.

Hardest part is keeping rig bouncing along and wanting to look back at sonar to observe structure at same time. May have to rear mount sonar.

I dont know if this method could be excellent or not, but only thing I ever carve in stone on Missouri is that "if I am not trying new stuff and areas all the time I do not do well".

13. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    To anchor in the middle of a big river with heavy currant in 50 feet of water would require 500 feet of anchor rope to be safe and even then you could get fast and run over by a barge if you couldn't get out of the way. One time of your boat not starting would be all it would take to get you in big trouble.........................Don't do it................ Drift those areas it's much safer

14. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Cool thing about that method is a guy can add/sub weight til right amt is found. Maybe have a screw on end.
    It doesnt scatch boat either. Have to try that.

I use that tube idea also to hang over boat side so not to rub barges. Sometimes works for tossing on top of barge for second hold too.

Window weights make light-little toss anchors for rocks and bushes I have found too(fyi).

Danny, My channel aroud here typ around 15-20ft. I forget south its deeper.

15. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    If quick disconnect were required I would just have line with a bouy and quick connect to boat bow then come back after it. But thats just me.:cool2:

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Ask DougC how well that works.... :roll_eyes:

17. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Once again, we're not talking about the Mississippi, the Ohio, the Cumberland, the Tennessee or other big rivers; we're talking specifically about the Missouri River.

It's not deep - seldom over 20 ft in the main channel and 30 to 40 ft in the deepest scour holes.

And there's no barge traffic to speak of.

18. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    That's funny because I was talking to Bradk about that last night.
    Last year I tried the bouy idea, and I can tell you it takes a lot to hold your anchor. Look at how big the channel marker bouys are, and how they're thrashing in the current. I tried a big boat bumper inflated with air, and when I tried to use it for the first time, it was also the last. Sucked it under as fast as it would if I didn't have any float on it.
    Brad's buddy Andrew has four or five bumpers tied together to make his float. I think it works effectively for him, but takes up a lot of space in the boat. It's a great idea, especially if you need to unanchor to chase a fish, but I'm still searching for the perfect bouy.

19. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Actualy Andrew has 6 boat bumpers lashed together. Works great, got to see it in action when He got his PB 77 lb blue earlier this season. Whatta hog that fish was/is it was CPRed.

I have a different set up. I bolted together two 5 Gal bucket lids and siliconed the seam. When I have to drop anchor to chase a fish, I simply snap together the Two buckets and clip them to the anchor line and pitch the whole works overboard.

20. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    My retreival system for my anchor is designed to do just that unhook and pitch it then come back later, have done it several times in water that was way up and current that is really crankin, the ball may be half submerged but it never goes completely under, and because I move every 15 min. I would be totally worn out without it. Even with a Krogers shopping cart attached to the anchor the ball was still just under the surface of the water, it is designed to pull a 65# anchor...............Doc