never know what the other guy will do sometimes

Discussion in 'Boating Stories' started by boogie, Sep 15, 2005.

1. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    i was living and working in va...had me a 16' tri hull...nice lil boat with live well and ran like a charm .....i mainly took it to claytor lake and below claytor lake dam on "new river "........i was out fishing on new river one day...not having great luck with the fish ,but i hung in there till the end of the day .....i was over it and ready to head home so i went back to the ramp and backed my trailer in ,then got in my boat and circled out and around to load her up ....as i was getting right at my trailer with my boat ...a guy decides its time to gas his hog of a boat and haul tail and travels just a few feet from me ,tossing up a huge wake ...slamming my boat into the side mounts of the rollers ! i was more scared than anything at that moment .....i got loaded and checked it out and couldnt see anything messed up but it was getting real late and hard to see ,so i went on home ..few days later i went back out with the boat to the same place ...anchored and fished for a while ,,,it was a great beautiful day ,so i leaned back and pulled my cap over my eyes and took me a long nap ....lol./....when i woke up and checked my pole ,i had me a nice channel cat on ...alright! ...the day was looking up.....but wait a min ...something doesnt look right ?...the boat is sitting funny .....there is water in the boat!! .......well i started the pump and headed in and loaded up.....checked the boat ..still couldnt find anything wrong ..so i pulled the plugs out and headed home ....got in and pushed the boat back on the trailer by hand a lil bit and walah..there it was .....big ol gapeing hole ,where that rascal had slammed me into my trailer a few days before ...lol......glad i didnt sleep any longer than i did that day in the boat ...it wouldnt of taken much longer and i believe it would of been way too late for the boat ...lol........sometimes the other person can really mess up the day

2. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Boogie, it is really sad that there are so many inconsiderate people in the world. I am glad that you found the hole before something really bad happened to you. It shouldn't be that hard to fix but the shame is that you have to, when it was so unnecessary.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Sorry about the boat.Sure glad that you wern;t killed or maimed.Some people live in their own little world,which rotates with them in the center.Others are not part of their life.Thankfully,the rest THINK.peewee-williams

4. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Just another reason why it should be mandatory to take a boating safety class, and have a boat license in all states. I know in mine it is a NO wake zone within 100' of an ramp, within 150' of people anchored or fishing. People need to wake up and realize that they arent the only people in this world.

5. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    good thing you woke up before it was too late. you and that channel cat would've had to swim back to shore together.

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    boogie, sorry to hear about your boat, glad it wasn't worse.

I'm not sure mandatory boating classes would help much. The problem is that people have no respect for the law or other people. I think they know the law but just don't care.
    Example: Here a lot property owners docks have signs stating the law, No Wake within 100'. Even that doesn't help. In fact I had a No Wake buoy out from my dock... it didn't last but a couple years before they tore it up. I've seen them hit it on purpose. Myself, I think we need the laws we have enforced and with higher priced tickets. Hit em in their pocketbook will get their attention.

7. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I guess take some pictures and send them to the marine patrol. Maybe that will help, I try to go by every rule out there. If people would be more courteous it would be a better world.

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana

ill second that one jay.

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    a 7/8" paddle bit and cordless drill will come in handy to. maybe ya will bet lucky and see it in the lot at the ramp unattended. then show him how the lil fishermen feels when these cigarette boats screw us. there has been a many night a flare gun would have put me in the poky. :glare:

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Sorry to hear about the boat did you get the boat fixed?

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I can sympathize with you. Last spring, while fishing for skippies from shore, we almost got run over by a stupid jerk running his boat right up in front of us, then drifting back. He wasn't paying attention to what he was doing, and the boat turned toward the shore; he missed hitting the rocks where we were standing by about 10'. I switched to my heavy rod and started tossing out a 2 ounce jig whenever he got close enough, and he finally got the idea and moved out to a reasonable distance (further than I could cast).

12. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    we have a lot of the same rules the only problem is its almost impossible for them to be enforced. with the budget cuts etc there isnt enough patrols out on the lakes or rivers here. we have this one like i troll for trout lake mcswain nice lake good fishing. have had peope going over the speedlimit there manytimes which is 10mph the entire lake. couple of weeks ago had a huge seaswirl in it overloaded with about 15 people on board running about 30 pushing a huge wake that was way over the sides of my boat. people yelling at them to slow down then they anchor in the middle of the turn around and start swimming which is agaisnt the rules. wife got a pic of the boat with the cf number when we left that day we stopped at the ranger station and they wrote the cf number down hope they nailed them hard on thier way out.