Never knew this

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by tmramrod91, Apr 24, 2009.

1. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
  2. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    I HAVE MY OWN DOUBTS THAT THIS HAPPENED THE WAY THE TALE WAS TOLD RWG

3. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    me too, from what I hear, the fish was half dead trapped in a pool of water and the guy basically fished the jig into his mouth and drug him to shore.

I wasn't there though, so I won't comment, other than what I was told by some folks who were there..........:confused2:

4. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Ya, I've heard similar things that it was on a zebco 33 with 12 lb test or something like that. I know flatties will hit just about anything that entices them, so I didnt think the jig/minnow combo was completely far fetched, but hauling in a 120+ lb fish with 12 lb test is unlikely.

Never heard that part about him basically snagging the fish.

5. Lyle

Lyle New Member

State:
    Lawrence, Kansas
    Not to start an argument or anything.
    I know for fact that big flatties around here will tear up a jig and or bass worm fished in the right place, time of year. Fair hooked of course, and on days with me fishing across the way with every bait know to man and nodda. All the while the jiggers are tearing it up.

On one occasion the game officer I was talking with was also in awe of the situation and everything passing his eyes, inspections.
    Fishin' I guess..

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    When the Reservoirs are dumpin alot of water, jigging is the way to go. :wink:

7. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    I've actually caught more flathead on jigs and sassy shads in the outlets than any other method - 20lbs to 30lbs on 1/4oz 2inch jigs on 6lb test - I don't doubt landing a 100lb + on 12lb test because if you're in the right area without alot of current alot of times the bigger fish come up and then go back down till ya ware them out - they never really make any runs away from ya - set you're drag right - take for example when ya snag with 12lb test I can pull like hell trying to get the line to break. My method is to fish off the wall right at the discharge a week or so after they stop releasing alot of water and the river has stabalized - the bait is stacked up and the flathead are in there gorging themselfs - this is usually best in late may and early june when their making their spawning runs - if you've never tried it you should - channels will nail jigs also:wink:

8. Lyle

Lyle New Member

State:
    Lawrence, Kansas
    If I may also make a suggestion to those who might try jigging for flats and such, debarb the hook/s. Take your pliers and bend it down. You will foul hook fish more often IMO, which is the reasoning behind debarbing the hook. You might even find you lose more fish with lighter line being used so with it being debarbed the fish could slip the line quicker, too.

Personally, I debarb probably around ~95% of my hooks for catfish with a rod&reel and have not had any loses; keep the line tight. The 5% left barbed are for reasons of bait, big circle hooks and current being fished. There are probably some other reasons for me not debarbing that ~5%, I'm just not thinking of right now.

Just a suggestion. :crazy:
    Good luck!

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I say it's possible to catch a monster on light tackle. Anyhow, if my memory serves me right, the behemoth was worked in easily, because the current allowed the fish to be trapped in between some rocks. So it worked out pretty good for the fisherman. Heck, there's world records caught on light tackle all the time. Monster fish being caught on 4 and 6lb test line. Most of these are salt water fish. IGFA records. I mean, it can be done as long as the conditions are right.

10. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Yes big fish are caught on light tackle all over the world. But none of them set it up for crappie then go catch tuna, and they dang sure don't use a zebco 33. I have serious doubts about being able to quickly set the drag correctly on a 120 pound flathead on the fly with a zebco 33. I have serious doubts about a zebco 33's drag ever working correctly for that matter. The fisherman's comment was the wind was blowing towards him so it helped. Why would that even matter unless the fish was belly up on top the water?

It is the record and thats that. All we can do about it is try and beat it.

11. kansasoutdoors

kansasoutdoors New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I fished with a guy in high school that would always troll the rocky dam at our local lake jigging for channels. We never caught a flattie using this method, but had a pretty good success rate with channels.

12. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I never said it couldn't be done, or jigging was not effective for flatheads, I have seen much stranger things happen than what is said to have happened in this guy's story. I am simply saying that some folks who were there said the fish was near dead, stranded in a pool of water, and the ol' boy pretty much snagged him in the lip, and pulled him to shore without so much as a tug from the fish, due to the shallow water and condition of the fish.

There are numorous accounts of the same kind from a lot of different sources, many of whome were there or knew someone who was there.

13. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Yeah, I heard that the fish was half dead and then "skillfully" snagged in the mouth.
    I agree 100% on debarbing a hook if you fish this way. The odds are too high that you will snag somethin.
    And if you snagged it, dont try to tell people that you didnt. Too many BS stories on here.:smile2::smile2: