never goose hunted before

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by elalr, Dec 27, 2008.

1. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    im wanting to learn to goose hunt. im going to buy decoys but know nothing about them. i have a call already have one call not sure if i can use it right or not. if any one can help with advice or wanted company and show me how i would appreciate it. thanks, Larry

2. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Well if you have a good corn field to hunt and some water around it. You should have no problems in killing geese, they are thick. Make sure you are completly hidden and all your stuff is hidden. Don't park your truck 75 yds from your setup or have your face showing while geese are in the air. They have been hunted for a while and are spooky as heck. When setting up decoys try to have most the heads down, geese see a lot of heads up they think something is wrong. I would go around and scout fields see how the geese are setting in fields and set my dekes like that. Good luck!

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Good info Jess. Larry,I'd like to add,You need to try and keep the decoys facing the wind ,as the geese will face into the wind when landing and taking off. I try to set my dekes in an X or J pattern aand blace yourself in the center of the X or the hook of the J. My expereince has taught mr that geese seldom land in crouded places,They need a little room between each other,remember the wingspan can be over 6 Ft on a greater.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I never tryed to actually hunt geese but on the other hand have killed tons of them while in a pit duck hunting. I think they can see better than a mallard. Jess and Richard both give good advise. They'll always land into the wind, same as a duck. I've seen alot of folks use wind socks( look like white trash bags) as they don't cost an arm & leg, but do require wind.As far as calling, i'm no help unless your killin ducks.Keep you eyes open for the one's wearin jewlery, they put neck and leg bands on alot of geese. If ya kill a banded bird, send the # in and they will send data of it's origen.

5. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Find you a good cornfield, and buy some "Big Feet" decoys. Fill in the gaps with silohettes as they're cheaper(spelling?). I personally dont think it matters which way your decoys face, because if you look at a field full of feeding geese they're every which way. They will land and take off into the wind. Big thing is to keep your face down. Your face will look like a giant white warning flag if you're staring up at them. Kinda peak around a ball cap. And as has been mentioned, keep some open space for them to land. We usually set up with two big "blobs" of decoys with a large gap in the middle for them to land. Also, keep your farthest decoys within shooting range in case you get those ones that just dont wanna land inside the decoys, you can still kill them.

6. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Larry right now is a good time to find some deeks on craig's list. I've seen several for sale in columbia/jefferson city, kansas city and stl! All this advice is really good.

We use fully bodies and shells. Our spread is usually 2-3 dozen decoys and ground blinds. On occasion we use flags to attract smaller groups...good luck to ya.

7. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    You dn't really need a lot of decoys if you hunt smart, and can hunt where they are wanting to be. A lake I hunt near has a lot of geese, but little in the way of food on the public hunting area. However, there are resting and loafing areas the birds use during mid day, and there's the key. We use at the most 2 dozen decoys, with half being sleepers. If you set up where they were the day before, you'll kill geese. Just keep all signs of humans hid. No faces showing, no shells laying around, etc. Blend in as best you can so nothing looks different from the day before.
    As for calls my brother has finally given up using short reeds and fancy calls. He just can't make them sound right. He can however take a Faulks Honker call and make it go Ker-honk" very well. And it works. I use a Canada Hammer II, but I practice constantly on it, and am always learning.
    Keep it simple at first until you get the hang of things, then go after the gusto!! Goose hunting addicted me at the age of 8, and I see no cure until my death!! Wouldn't want it any other way, John:big_smile:

8. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Most of what I am going to say has been covered already! I would say the main problem most field goose hunters have is being seen! You need to make sure you get your blind covered well and blended in with its surroundings. If you don't do that you might aswell stay home! I personally like when they come in right in your face, Giving you a chip shot! Set your decoys in a J, U, or X formation, with majority of your decoys being feeders and resters facing into the wind. The only time I have had much luck with 2-3 dozen decoys is hunting in early season, or on the river! I usually hunt Canadas in the MO river bottom, and they are usually in big groups ( 50-150) and 2-3 dozen is not going to do it. We usually hunt over min 6-8 dozen, sometimes even as many as 10-12 dozen, it depends on how many blinds we are hunting. One thing I forgot to mention, I like to really pack decoys in around the blinds tight. It helps hide your blinds! I hope this info helps! Good luck

9. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Not an awful lot to say here re the info already given but I’ll throw in a couple or three things that just might help. When you set your dekes out, try and keep the spread as near family groups as possible with a little room between the groups. I will typically use the ‘J’ pattern but with a twist – I set the bulk, maybe two thirds of my goose decoys on the long arm of the ‘J’ and set it into the wind, then pout the rest of the spread on the short arm and I complete the spread with duck decoys at the bottom of the ‘J’.
    Always try and have some of the decoys aimed in different directions and maintain a mixture of sentries and feeders – worse thing you can do is have all of them looking up like they are alerted or ready to depart. If set up in water, tie off some of the decoys from the side so the will ride out in a different direction from the others. I always tie off a couple of the duck decoys with a jerk string and use it to create some movement in the spread.
    Enough has been said about the absolute essential of covering or hiding your face, another thing you absolutely must hide is eyeglasses, either prescription or shades. The glare from your glasses with flare a goose for five miles! I think late season, wary Canadas are just as difficult to fool as a wild turkey!
    Calling – what can I say here? I grew up calling with my mouth, then my voice changed and I now call with a call like everyone else. I have a collection of calls from the last 50 years or more, everything from my Dad’s old Olt to a Kenny Burns to whatever – and I find the price you pay for a call has absolutely nothing what so ever to do with how ‘good’ that call will work or how good you can blow it. I do believe most goose hunters are just like most duck hunters in that they tend to call overmuch – if the birds are doing what you want them to do, let them work. And practice, practice, practice – buy a recording of goose calls and then try to learn at least the basic goose ‘language’. Some hunters say the goose has as many as 25 distinct calls, a lot of the old timers I grew up with were well served while using only three: The ‘honk’ or hail call, the murmur or ‘laydown’ call and the come back. Go to http://www.callingducks.com/talk_goose_main.aspx and have a listen to performances by some of the best.
    And finally, after this long winded diatribe, try flagging – it works, and with the right set up it works very well! And please, post back and let us know how you did.
    Best regards,
    trapperP