never fail campfire starter

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by krankykat, Jun 4, 2007.

1. krankykat

krankykat New Member

State:
    Sharon Grove Ky
    when i was a kid in boy scouts i learned of a natural fire starter that will even get damp wood burning rather quickly, just look around the woods for an old rotten cedar stump, break away the outer wood that is rotten, and using a hatchet chop small hunks of the hard inner wood off. these chunks will ignite rather easily and burn hot. :wink:

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I've always had luck using the bark from wild grape vines when camping even after a rain when everythings wet.

3. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    as you walk through the woods look for old rotten pine stumps. the heart of the pine stump will be there for years and is usually easy to pull out. we call this rich pine. just take your pocket knife and shave off a few slivers. this will ignite almost like gas.

4. J-Train

J-Train New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Use potato chips or Fritos. They come in waterproof bags, they burn well, and once the fire is going you can eat the rest of them while you warm up.

5. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ive always used Cotton balls covered with petroleum jelly. Then you keep them in an empty 35mm film case.

Works good

6. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    You can also use steel wool ( without any cleaning prduct on it). You just tear off a little and spread it out and light it.

7. Thetiedyeguy

Thetiedyeguy New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I keep the chips from using my chainsaw. Put them in a fiber egg carton and melt wax over them. They burn for about twenty minutes.

8. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I always keep a small amount of dryer lint in a small plastic container. It lights easily plus it smells good when you light it.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    This wood is very heavy,hard,does not rot,is totally water proofed and easily lit because of it;s Rosen content.Many times I have raked submerged pieces out of holes in river beds and streams where it often collects due to it;s weight,trimmed off the outside and lit the inner just to show folks.Did the same with a piece dug out at 70 feet below ground at a wet riverside construction site.Rotted punk wood inside of hollow trees are often dry.A chunk of plain old paraffin wax like used to seal jelly jars and bought in the grocery store in the canning supplies is great to shave off and start fires.It will also waterproof "Strike anywhere matches.Just make sure to submerge one end and then the other so that all is covered.The tiniest uncoated spot will allow moisture to wick.It will also preserve anything well cleaned and then coated inside and out.For emergency use,a knife,pistol and yes ammo dipped in hot paraffin wax will last over 40 years when stored on saltwater fishing boats.I was told this was the age of all when one of the cartridges was wiped down with a coarse rag and test fired.Surprisingly it fired and penetrated almost as well as a new one.I am assuming that the ammo was quick dipped one end at the time in barely melted wax as matches are.It definitely was not cosmoline which we were very familiar with.I love you brothers and sisters.peewee.

10. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thats a good idea, the one I use is what my son taught me from his Boy Scout stuff. Just take some dryer lint and use it for tinder. Works great, try it you might like it, and you won't even have to start the chainsaw. LOL
    Later Andy

11. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    That is a great idea. I have used plan old sawdust as well but I can see how the "dust" from the chain saw will probablyh have a little chain oil mixed in as well.
    This is something folks should give some thought to WHILE they are at home and have the time and supplies necessary to insure they can start a fire when hunting. You never know when you will need to build a fire to warm up or whatever...Every day pack should include an easy method of starting a fire. A good steel fire starter is handy too. All it takes is a knife to create sparks.

12. kctinner

kctinner New Member

State:
    missouri
    You can also use 9 volt battery and steel wool just touch the terminal end of the battery to the steel wool and the it'll start glowing.Works really well on the sand bars.

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I also use the lint out of the dryer. But you can light a candle and let he wax drip on the lint. And its a wild fire then. Always use the lint and its great.
    pete

14. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've tried a lot of ideals over the past couple score of years but I still like the idea of carrying a 5-10 min "railroad" flare taped to my knife sheath.
    I've also found it's a good idea to have not just one way of making a fire with you but two, preferably three, depending on your particular circumstances as in some parts of the world a fire still means Life or Death at the most and a dam*ed miserable night/day at the minimum!
    And before you go "out", take the time to practice at home under a variety of conditions so you KNOW you can do so when your far away from civilization!
    I can promise you that when your Tired to Exhausted, COLD, Wet, and the weather is miserable that you will want a fire and want one FAST!!!
    That old "Boy Scouts of America" thing about using one little paper match and a pocket knife to shave a pyramid of tinder then gather a bunch of small pencil sticks, then finger sized sticks, ect, goes right out the door and will be the LAST THING ON YOUR MIND!!! It's a nice idea, but far, far, from the truth under most hunting, hiking, outdoor conditions that one runs into today! I know, I've BTDT/Been There Done That!
    I hope this helps you all or at least gives you another idea for your "Fire Kit" as you prepare it for your next outing.
    It's also not a bad idea to keep a couple of those MRE's under your seat in a vehicle or boat either. Yes, they don't taste the best in the world when they are cold, but when your hungry, and need to feed that fire in the human furnace, when your hungry, they taste mighty good and have a decent shelf life too. That, with a quart or so of clean water along with your fire making kit and {{ one of those aluminum foil emergency blankets depending on the weather}} will get you through the night.
    Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance or "Be Prepared"! The BSA is not the only one that uses those words! :wink:
    One last thing. When I am "out" away from home I ALWAYS carry at least one roll of toilet paper with me! In addition to it's tinder value I learned a long time ago that it's lightweight and much preferable to those poison ivy leaves you grab in the middle of the night! It only took me ONCE to learn that lesson and I was NOT alone in that learning either!:crazy::eek:oooh::wink::big_smile::smile2:
    I can laugh today, but I GUARANTEE you I was not laughing then back some 40 years ago!!
    Believe me, put a roll in a good zip lock bag and KEEP IT WITH YOU! You would be surprised how often it's used, and not just for bathroom purposes either! Same for a roll of paper towels in your car/truck/boat too!
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

15. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Oooohhhh, campfire starters, great fun.

Lets see, first, buy a couple of blocks of parafin wax, and put them in a double boiler to melt them down.

Get some dixie cups, and box of strike anywhere matches.

in some of the dixie cups, fill them with dryer lint, LOOSELY. In others put in sawdust, in others, crumpled up wads of toilet paper. Take and put 2-3 matches down the sides of each of the cups. Take a ladle and carefully pour melted wax into each cup, making sure to cover the match as well.

Take a Paper bag from the grocery store. Tear it into 3-4 inch wide strips. Lay 1 strip down, then put a couple of strips of news paper, then a couple of strips of toilet paper. Start at 1 end and roll it up, not real tight, then use binders twine to tie it, leaving about 2-3 inches of twine to hang it with. Push some matches in between layers from the sides, so that only the match head sticks out. Then dip the whole thing in wax.

also you can make "campfire candles" very easily. Line the bottom of a cookie sheet with aluminium foil. Take twine and lay it out across a cookie sheet. Making several rows of twine about 1/2 inch apart. The slowly carefully fill the cookie sheet with wax. Carefully place the cookie sheet in the freezer to cool the wax quickly. After it sets up hard (about 20-30 mins) Take a hot knife and cut the wax.

With all of these, you can simply pull out a match, wipe off the wax, and then strike it to light the firestarter.

Another one, is taking pine cones, dipping them in the wax.

16. Delisleba

Delisleba New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have read the many great ideas for fire starting sticks but for clean easy use I will stick with the OzarkTrail Fire sticks from walmart. They are non toxic waterproof and come 12 to a pack. You can even break them in half and get 24. They work great no need for scrap wood they will lite whole logs. and for less then 2 bucs a pac.

17. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    If your not talking survival techniques just keep some road flares with ya. They light every time and wont go out in the wind or when you drop them, WAIT ain't that multi tasking??

18. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Fritos are also a good fire starter.. Yes a Patato chip... it has so many oils in it it will burn and light almost anything.. I have used this many times

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I like firelogs for starting a fire at a campground, but for backpacking, it's hard to beat some corrugated cardboard soaked in melted wax.

20. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    You can also carry a 9 volt battery with the steel wool. When the battery terminals touch the steel wool it will start to glow red hot. Carry both in a separate baggie no need for matches.