Never even hunted with a bow!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by valentine, Nov 1, 2006.

1. valentine

valentine New Member

State:
    Colorado
    I haven't shot a bow since I was in boy scouts way back when. What would you all suggest for a starter package? I have a park right down the road with a practice range. I would love to learn a little more about the equipment. Thanks for any help.

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    matt , my first bow was a bear recurve i shot it every day atleast 1 hour or till i got tired of drawing it back which ever came first . i shot it instinctively , this means i sited down the arrow and shot as fast as i could get the bow back for two reasons 1 it had a 45 lb pull and 2 i was weak :lol: i got pretty good with it . then later in life i had a chance to get back into bow hunting and i saved up $500. and went and bought the fastest most accurate bow on the market at the time it was a pse nova i still have that bow equiped with sites and silincers and a drop away rest and carbon arrows its a good bow , but it sets in a box and i dont use it . if you think you want to be a bow hunter go look at new bows check them out look at the prices and go to a pawn shop and buy a cheap bow before blowin your hard earned money on one you will or will not use . after youve shot the used one awhile then take it back to the pawn or sell it in a yard sale and go look again at new bows . i wouldnt recomend buying a new bow to anyone who wasnt for sure thats what they want . good luck

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I shoot a PSE "Beast". Its an entry level bow and it's taken me 5 yrs. but I've finally got my first bow kill on 10/26/06. The one thing you'll learn is that little branch that you didnt see, your going to discover the hard way when the arrow deflects and the deer goes the other way. I shoot off the ground so its even harder then stand hunting. Archery is fun and so much more rewarding once you've tagged out with your bow.

Attached Files:

4. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Go to a good bow shop and let them fit you with a bow in your price range, that way you will get what you need and in the long run you will be a lot happer with things you don't know about, like draw lengh, arrow selection, draw weight ect.

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    That's good advice right there! Now here's my 2 cents worth. I started with a Bear Recurve 31 years ago. I didn't really want to hunt deer but my buddy did. I've always been pretty good with a rifle and figured there was no sport in shooting a deer with a gun. Boy was I wrong! However, I decided that unless I could get close enough to get one with a bow, I wouldn't kill one. When I finally learned enough about Whitetails to get within shooting range, I was hooked for life. I've had several bows including Browning, PSE, Hoyt, and Bear compounds but I've always gone back to hunting with the recurve and have taken 129 deer as of last week with it. I love the recurves because I love the tradition behind them, the challenge, and the shear satisfaction of taking game with a stick and string. They are more flexable in real life hunting situations like close range, shooting behind you, and shooting fast. Instinctive shooting teaches you hit the target without worrying about yardage, wind direction, target speed, arrow speed, etc. The brain is the ultimate computer. It will take all that into consideration without you knowing it. In the long run, I believe a stick bow makes you a better hunter overall. For target shooting, a compound is the way to go. For the pleasure of hunting in the traditional sense, it's hard to beat a recurve or a long bow. After all, it's not the bow that kills the game, it's the broadhead. Any bow that delivers a broadhead to the target will do the job.

6. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You can kill a deer with a 42 lb old bow and 2219 arrows. Get something cheap. I would recommend that you go to a professional bow shop and get measured for draw length. That way you can find a used bow with your draw length already set and probably get the arrows thrown in the deal.

MAJ D

7. bigred

bigred New Member

State:
    indiana
    if ur draw is 29inches i got a bow for u for 75 bucks. just let me know?

8. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Depending on your state, a 40lb bow should be plenty. I only shoot 59lbs some prefer 65-70 or more, but you don't need that.
    The most important thing is the draw length. I am short (my draw length is only 26") and shot bows that were too long for me for years. I have the proper bow now and I had no idea what I was missing. :big_smile:

Eric