Never caught shad

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by Waterbug, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Hey fellow Arkansans,

I need some info and thought I'd post here in the Local Arkansas Talk as to get the most applicable info. I've never caught shad or skip jacks in large quantities; just the occasional one on a hook. This year I'm determined to learn how to go about using a casting net & any other techniques for catching bait. I know you folks are good at - I've read enough of your posts to know that! Do you mind giving me some pointers that will help me get started?

Thanks in advance.:laugh1:

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Get anet and practice throwing it on debris free dry -land until ya can open it up good!!!!! Shad is in the deep right now schooling gotta use a boat:laugh1: Spring comes below the dams will work good...Skips my friend is a whole nother story & a long one!!!!

3. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Sam, I have you 2 more styrofoam boxes, bigger ones. I think I will trade you 2 empty boxes for 1 full of skips....:sarcastic:
    You been lately? I am heading to the river next Thursday night...........playing hookie from school next Friday and fishing all weekend.

4. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I ain't been but going tourney fishin with Johnny saturday!!! Kerr it is!!!!! Have looked at the Ar. river several times going to work at clarksville..at the scranton bridge it is still frozen from the culvert all the way to the old barge loading dock!!!:eek: Go to the doctor on your day off get meds for " The madness" on the skips!!!:doctor:

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Will,

To catch skips you will just need to locate them and use a rod and reel as they are too fast for a cast net most times.

you will mostly find skips below dams in the swift current when they are there and the water is warm enough or below hydro plants or hot water discharges below plants.

You can use crappie jigs to catch them but most will use what is called a sabikki rig which you can order from bass pro online. Most of the time white or chartreuse with a hint of red works well but sometimes other colors will work.

Just cast your selected lure/lures our in the swift water where you've noticed them jumping and reel back thru them and hang on.... with several jigs on your line it's not uncommon to catch 3 or 4 at a time when they hitting good.

6. mrgib31

mrgib31 New Member

State:
    Conway, Arkansa
    If you are near the NLR Maumelle area you can pick up sabiki rigs from Hatchet Jacks for only $3.00 a piece. This is in my area if anyone needs me to grab some for them.

7. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks Big Sam & Whisker Maniac,

I really appreciate the advice.

8. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Your welcome:cowboy:

9. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    that's good to know. thanks james

10. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Big Sam is right, skips require a long story............that is why is am down to just a few in the freezer. But I catch them on white hair crappie jigs (1/32 oz). I have 2 spinning rods rigged up with 5 jigs. I threaded 5 of them on and then started tying them from about a foot from the end of the line and then worked my way up. I tied some knot (don't remember its' name) that makes the jig stand out straight. I think the drop shot bass fisherman use it. After tying the jigs on about 8 inches apart, I tie a small 1/4 oz bank sinker on the bottom. Good luck with it, when it warms up, you will hear big sam's truck or Baitboats truck heading to the dams after them.................Sammy, send me a few next weekend.

11. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    never underestimate a little channel feeding into a lake or river , there is a spot here that i park on the side of the road that is just a small creek the feeds into a lake here. i stopped by this morning and tossed the net once and came in with a full net of shad large and smaller ones . Total 17 bags full for the freezer . i posted them in arkansas forum. but sam is right , i knew nothing about nets till i stood on my back porch and threw , and threw and threw , but i got it down now. so talk to some of your locals about finding some shad and they will put you on some - love skipjack the best but - well like they say - its another story