NEVER AGEN

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by BIG_D, Sep 10, 2008.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    whent to alton lock and dam yesterday evning never agen will i fish thear from the bank fished about a hr stayed hung up the hole time left thear whent under the alton bridge just caut some small ones but atleast i could relaxe and to think i was exsited about going thear what a joke:eek:oooh:

2. Bossofbeefbowl

Bossofbeefbowl New Member

State:
    Hanover Park,IL
    I've been branching out to new lakes this summer rather than hanging at my favorite few.You go out to a new place thinking it's gonna be a great day and in the end you wonder why anyone fishes there at all.I know that frustrating feeling.

3. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It's tough when ya go to wet a line and maybe your whistle and end up with a full time Job..
    Seems like I might have been there.
    Check out some of the residents and see if they have it figured out .
    I am a long time Bay and Channel fisherman but never have done the Wing wall /Lock and dam duty.
    However in talking to and listining to the Big Guys seems as if they have some pretty neat ways of dealing with these Snagy places.

Appropriate weights of all sorts of discriptions , thought of as disposable... on droppers or "leaders" designed to give way. They snag hold and then pull off when a customer comes along.
    Slip corks are what we used when fishin log piles on the Illinois. a little edge or slack water and a rig with enough weight to fish pretty straight down. These corks :)roll_eyes: ) are refered to as Floats by our experts for obvious reasons as they aren't bite indicatores but actuall a way to keep you at but not in the snags.
    I like cut bait in these places as live bait even tho prob better is always looking for something to get under...
    I wouldn't give up first pass , we all know those places hold and often concentrate fish . Spend a day with your radio ,a cooler and do a little playing while your there. Lots worse thing that we can be doing..LOL
    Who know ya might find a gold mine.

Good luck and Get after them.

R Green

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Very good advice REPS to you

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    good advice ron thanks i made me some pool noodl bobbers last night just so i could deal with situwasions like that i think that will be one place i will use theam i did get some good hits thear i just got frustrated

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Ron touched on one thing that I do when bankfishing up there, although it has been a few years. I use a drop line with large splitshot instead of any other type weights. You know your going to get hung up, so go ahead an sacrifice these splitshot. Cast out, if no fish find your bait, start reeling in, If you get hung up, odds are it is the weights, not the hook. With the drop line not having any resistance to stop the splitshot from sliding off, you are free in no time, with no weight to hang up on the way back to shore.

7. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    ok hears somthing new i need to learn can you exsplain or show me how to make a drop rig i love that river but iv got a lot to lern befor i can be sucsesfull on that river

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Below is the rig I almost always use on the river. The only difference is with the rig I explained earlier, instead of a banksinker, use a group of large splitshots. Do not tie anything to the end of that drop line. The idea is to let them slide off when hung up and you are pulling hard.

Attached Files:

9. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks Tom i will give it a try

10. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Dallas, don't give up on the dam, trust me, there have been some very nice blues caught from fellas fishing from the bank. Tom gave you some good advice on the drop rig. Sometimes you have to learn by trial and error. Believe me, when I started chasing these fish back in 2004, I went 2 whole years without catching a fish over 6 pounds. I went countless nights getting skunked, not even a bite! :crazy: Don't give up, soon you'll be up there catching some hogs!

I fish Alton alot, mainly on the weekends. Shoot me a PM when you're going to be down there again and maybe we can meet up!

Good luck to ya!

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks Bill i will take you up on that

12. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    How long is the rod that you were using? If you can't cast to at least the 1st gate you might be wasting your time.

13. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    my rods are 7fters and 1st gate is about the distans i can cast if i realy sling it

14. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    If you ever go again try casting towards the first gate theres a big eddy off the the corner of the wall. Let your weight bounce until it gets hung YOU WANT IT TO GET HUNG UP by using the rig Kutter showed you and using a 15 or 20lb pound leader on your weight leader you should be able to break it off.

15. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks Justin i will try it

16. Daave

Daave New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Justin, Dallas Good afternoon.

I went out with a buddy of mine to fish Alton last night from around 21:30 - 00:30. We had tried some stick bait with a traditional tight line setup. We had 4 poles between the two of us fishing in the following locations from the bank:

[​IMG]

The different arrows were the direction and distance (thereabouts) we were casting our poles in/at. We went to three different locations along that rocky bank that night. Each was about 1 hour of fishing. Black was first 1, red second and blue was third. While we had our poles out I was trying to catch some bait fish but sadly no luck.

I was reading some threads posted in the library and saw the link for a solunar calender, last night was supposed to be a 3 star out of possible 4 quality night for fishing in this month. I'm not sure how many fishermen actually use those things but I figured why not give it a go. Also we fished during the "Major peak" time.

Now I have never been out to alton(except for fast eddies) but the river as I was told was higher than normal (by about 15 ft?) and the current was the crazies thing i've ever seen. Oddly enough all night I was not getting snagged. Not once. I used a 4 oz bank sinker weight attached with 15lb mono on a three way swivel. Was using No. 4 size trebble hooks with springs and some panny hose to keep the stink on the hook.

Sadly no luck of any kind.:0a35:

A few things I thought could have gone better that night:

1.) Live bait? Not really sure what to use out there. I brought my net but im not even sure where it is or is not leagal to use nets in IL/MO to get some bait fish. Plus I'm not sure where the bait fish would even hang out as the water was moving so quick.

2.) More wieght? I was hoping to get snagged as justin was saying but it didnt seem like the weight was wanting to settle in. As a result the line most times just went from perpendicular to the bank to some degree of parrallel.

For next time:

I'd be glad to hear any suggestions anyone might have so I could land just 1 fish out there :)

Any idea's on where I should be casting differently? How much weight to use? How to tell when the damn is releaseing a good amount of water *before* i drive an hour to get there? Bait suggestions.

Thanks again for your feed back.

Forgot to mention: I was using two rigs last night:

Setup 1:
    -10' Catmaxx
    -Abu Garcia 7000 w/ 65 lb power pro

Setup 2:
    7' ugly stick medium action
    spinning real i got from walmart dont recall the name w/ 20lb power pro

-Gamakatsu Octopus 4/0 and 6/0 hooks (when I can get some bluegill or shad)
    -size 4 trebble hooks with springs with the stink bait w/ panny hose to keep it on

17. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Welcome aboard, David. Sorry you didn't land the big one, looks like at least 3 out of the four arrows were in productive areas. Not many caught way inside the boat launch area.

Is that a DE behind you, in your avitar?

18. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I have only fished that area from the bank once and it was a long time ago. I can try to humbly offer some info that I have gathered fishing several other tailwaters at other dams from the shore and boat.

In the current that the big river produces, I would try using significantly more weight and rig it on a 3 way setup. I rig mine with a relatively short leader (longer in slower current, shorter in faster current is the rule of thumb I use) going to the hook. I then use a lighter poundage line going to the weight. Depending on the swiftness of the current, I've known people to use 8,10, 16 oz. weights and even heavier to get the bait down in the current. Using the lighter line on the weight with a lot of weight to get it down where ya want it allows that weight to get snagged in the rocks on the bottom, but hopefully the leader going to the weight will be long enough to keep your bait flowing in the current just above the rocks.

This tends to be a bit expensive on weights because you are basically willing to sacrifice BIG weights on nearly every cast because using the lighter line will allow you to break off the weight while retaining the rest of your tackle.

You mentioned that your bait ended up parallel with the bank. That indicates to me that the amount of weight used was not adequate to get it to the bottom in that current and was instead being washed downstream in the current.

As far as bait, you can use cast nets down there and I have seen plenty of folks pulling in a lot of bait fish from the shore with their nets. When ya throw it, don't let it sink all the way to the bottom or the rocks will have their way with your net.

From what I have been able to gather on this site, as well as taking advantage of some good folks on here and getting on the river, fresh bait fish like shad are the way to go.

I hope this info helps.

By the way, very nice post with the aerial photo and all.

19. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Brent has ya covered on just about all, I will add that there is a size limit on the cast net (smaller for Il) may want to check that to what you have, and the side "pocket" at the boat launch/ramp, you should be able to get bait in that area. And the last thing I would add would be after 3 hours of nothing, head to ED's :smile2:

20. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    welcome David exlent post with the photo that place was a nightmare to me the first time i fished thear iv not fished thear sins but sins i started this thread all the advise poored in and i will try it agen we will concore that place lol:cool2: