Neutral problem

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by DM1975, Apr 20, 2007.

1. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I have a 1975 75 horse Christler outboard that has trouble staying in neutral. When running forward or reverse there is no problems at all but when I shift into neutral it will run ok for a few seconds and then shift into gear and die. I have to ove the throddle back and forth and get it back in neutal before I can start it again. Also sometimes I cant get it to start in high idol. I dont know if there is a neutral switch in the motor somewheres or anything. I know NOTHING about marine engines. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Steve, you have an out of production engine that's over 30 yrs old. Old age for an outboard. Parts are worn out and hard to come by for that engine.

Sorry for the bad news. They're not my favorite old time engines.

3. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Thanks. I know that already, I just dont know what is causing the problem. I am not asking for this engine to last me for any long length of time, I am just looking to see if I can get this one problem on an otherwise good running engine fixed. I know that the issue is that it is kicking out of neutral. once I set it back to neutral it is fine, and it is not in the throttle control in the front of the boat. That I know.

4. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I guess no one knows. Thanks.

5. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I would say there is some kind of slop in your controls and while in neutral the vibrations are letting it fall into gear, see if something is loose. You may have to find a manual for that engine and make sure its rigged correctly, just dont try to use it in the water, sounds dangerous.

6. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Thanks. I will try to see if I can locate some kind of manual for it somewhere. When I put it in neutral it makes a very faint click at the control and it seems kindof hard to get it in neutral sometimes. I have to move the arm back and forth a few times sometimes to get it to go in.

7. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    yeah sounds like it needs some rigging, all you should have to do is tighten it up and retighten the jam nut on the cable.

8. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Thanks. the engine runs great. Gets me up and running real fast. That has been the only thing wrong with it. I think it has been used very very little. I will have to get out this weekend and see if I cant figure it out.

9. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I would strongly recommend that and work you do on it is done on the muffs in your yard or in a test tank. There is just something that sounds very dangerous to me about tweaking a shift cable while the boats in the water.

10. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Will do, thanks for the advise.

11. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Well it is working great now. I have still not messed with it other than just learning to hear when the engine is in neutral rather that trusting the click the throttle makes when it is supposed to be in neutral. Thanks for the help.

12. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I have a 1979 115 HP Chrysler. They do have a neutral safety switch. I belive it is on the starboard side of the motor. If you continue having problems I can scan my repair manual (the section on your motor) and put it on my website.

I had problems with my motor not wanting to start. It turned out to be that the neutral safety switch had vibrated loose over the years.

As far as the motor slipping INTO gear. I had similar problem as well. I had caused it actually. There is a linkage that is adjustable and I had done repairs and did not get it adjusted properly. I got it adjusted by removing the cable and seeing how much variance there was on the adjustable linkage. A few adjustments and it was shifting fine.

If you need parts for your motor send me a PM. There is a place in OKC that has older motors and parts for alot of motors that are impossible to find elsewhere (I could get you there phone number). I also have a 1975 55hp Chrysler in pieces in my garage. I have been saving it for parts. We would have to check the interchangeability with the parts. But I would be willing to sell or trade any parts that might be of use to you for a very cheap price.

Dave

13. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Thanks. For now it is all running great. Once I got the neutral problem under control it runs geat. I will keep you in mind if furthur trouble should arise. I go through OKC pretty often too in case I ever need anything from that place. Thanks much for the help.