Neuse VS Cape Fear rivers in North Carolina

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by JAYNC, Apr 18, 2006.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    What does everyone think of starting a trophy fish thread, one for the Neuse and one for the Cape Fear. We will have to pick a weight for what a trophy size is for all three cats. Then at the end of the year we will see which river is better. Does this sound like something everyone wants to do or is it a stupid idea. So far from BOC member reports I believe the Neuse is in the lead, but people from the Cape might not be posting all their big fish. I was thinking maybe something like 40lbs flats, 30lb blues, and 15lb channels. Maybe these numbers are too high or too low, what does everyone think

2. hungupagain

hungupagain New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    sounds fun,15 lbs might be a little high for the channels though.

3. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    ok well the cape fear is produceing great. some freinds and i went out friday night and got 2 150 quart coolers of cats. they were drift fishing and found the cats in about 7 feet . the largest was around 43 lbs. and they were nice. the guys did keep them cause they drove 3 hours and 120 for gas. so cant blame them. but i am all for it if like.

4. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    So far my best on the Neuse this year is a 56lb blue, 38lb blue a 33lb blue, a 40lb flat and a 19lb channel. Hopefully I will break all these personal bests for this year. All caught in the neuse, all in about 17mile stretch of the river.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've always thought the Neuse had just as good a catfishing as the Cape Fear and from my point of view fishing both the Neuse has an edge on the flathead fishery.
    The thing that makes both of these rivers vastly different is accessability.
    Most parts of the Neuse I fish is unboatable unless by canoe or kayak especially in the low water conditions we've been experiencing.
    The only other access for people to fish is by fishing around bridges.
    So much of the Neuse could be considered virgin fishing waters for this reason.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Yeah I agree Mark, the neuse is getting pretty low, I have to remember exactly where the channels are otherwise I start hitting sandbars. This reason is why I have been staying closer to new bern lately. Once you get up near Ft Barnwell its very shallow, and you risk banging up $400 props or worse.

7. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i dont know a lot about your area jay, but we have less than a foot in most of the river up here. it takes determination to fish it for the most part. but it can reward you with some good fish. biggest i know of last year was my bud richard with a 55lb flattie.

8. AdamL

AdamL New Member

State:
    NC
    Sounds like JAYNC is tearin up those cats on the Neuse. I can only hope to get into one of those holes since it seems impossible without some sort of watercraft. As far as the trophy fish idea, I think it would be interesting to keep a tab on whats gettin pulled out of these two great local rivers and compare the numbers. This could well be a never ending thread, but one I would definitely stay attached to. Good luck out there.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    He is alive! AdamL, one of the best catfishermen on the Neuse I know of speaks! He might not have a boat but if you are willing for a hike along a riverbank in unboatable sections of the Neuse, he can put you on the holes and fish.
    He can put you on some bigger then large snapping turtles too.

10. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    i think its a great idea.Would like to see how the rivers compare.I have never fished the cape fear but i have caught a lot of nice catfish in the neuse, so count me in.lol

11. RooT_Fantastic

RooT_Fantastic New Member

State:
    NC
    Im Game for the trophy deal... however i think 12 should be for channels... the new record only has to be 20 so a 15 is kinda high... but whatever people decide on, im sure it will work... heres to the fish!

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Looks like we have some interest here in this thread.
    I'm willing to put a thread together and keep a running tabulation of catches.
    I'll set the minimum weights of each species to insure we have a good showing of participation and lend some credence to the study we are conducting.
    There will be no sign up and as members see this thread they can jump in with their catches.
    The goal all of us are after is the fishing quality of the two rivers and not fisherman expertise in catching.
    We'll run this study starting on Saturday the 22nd of April for one month and at that time we'll evaluate the participation and information gathered.
    We may continue on with it .

I'll start the new thread Friday night with simple rules so we can hopefully learn together. Remember, this is an unofficial study conducted by some BOC members and not a bragging rights thread.
    Get the digi cams and scales ready.

We'll call this the JayNC Neuse and Cape Fear Rivers Study so be on the look out.

13. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    thats great !! cant wait ,count me in.Wish it had started today lol my friend Ron (who just joined the forum) called me tonight and he caught another monster flatty in the same spot.It was 58 pounds and 48 inches long.He is going to post the pictures tommorow.

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    tammeej, yea that would have been a great entry but there will be plenty of time to get him again.
    It'll take me a few days in my spare time on the BOC to get the parameters sorted out and posted.
    I'm looking forward to a compilation of valuable information to us all no matter what river we fish or as some of us do, fish both.

15. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks Mark for taking the time to do this.I think its going to be a lot of fun to see what rivers are producing the most fish.I think it will be pretty close.I have never been to the cafe fear but i would like to try it sometime.Im just looking forward to seeing all the great stories and the nice pictures.Thanks again Mark and thanks Jason for the good idea to add a little more fun to catfishing :)

16. RooT_Fantastic

RooT_Fantastic New Member

State:
    NC
    research is fun....

can you tell im just trying to get my 10 posts

17. SpaceAce

SpaceAce New Member

State:
    w
    Sounds like a great idea to me. I am about to start pulling some big cats out of the Cape Fear.

18. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Dave thats to funny!!!!!

19. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    mark, is this gonna be for n.c. members or open to all?

20. roncat3945

roncat3945 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hello everyone,
    I am new to fishing for cats but I have already had my share of great luck. In the past eight nights the nesue has given up quite a few really nice cats. I have landed one and assisted my friend Elton in landing two in the sixty pound area. My other friends had a banner night on Monday with two fish weighing in at 38 and 41 lbls. And Jaync has reported at least one over 40 lbs in that same time period. All fish have been caught in a relatively small area of the river. We have all shared a plain view of each other on given nights on the river. I think it would be a great idea to see how the Neuse and Cape Fear rivers compare so lets do it!
    Roncat