neuse still on fire

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by tammeej, Oct 21, 2005.

1. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    went again on wednesday night and the cats are still hitting good on live eels.My friend caught another flathead bigger than the first one.My scales dont go that high but guessing it was about 55 or 60 pounds.It almost spooled the line off.We had tp pick up anchor and chase him.lol it was a blast.We release all fish we catch.We also caught a lot of blues in the 10 to 15 pound range.We were also in same spot.here is a pic

Attached Files:

2. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Thats awesome, I went last night and ended up fishing for only 1/2 hour. The storms came in so fast we had to go on shore and wait them out until 530 am, what a night. At least we didnt get skunked though. Did you catch that flathead near that same steel structure. Are you going out tonight, I might have to go alone.

3. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    yes caught him right by the platform.not sure about tonight because of the weather but want to go tommorow for sure.if forcast changes may go tonight.Can u go out tommorow if weather is good

4. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Had a pretty good night last night, caught 6 blues totalling roughly 150lbs or so. One was almost 41#s and a 30# the rest were under 30#s but it was a great night. Surprisingly we didnt catch any flats but we did loose 2 fish so maybe one of them was a flat.

5. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    were you parking right next to the platform and casting towards the shore or were you parking from the left and right of it and casting towards the platform. I went there one morning and all we caught was about a 5# blue. Have you went up into that small creek in front of the platform or just doing all the fishing right there at the mouth. Thanks Jason

6. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    if u are coming north on the neuse we fished just before u get to platform (about 30 feet from it)and casted towards bank on left side.U will see were it drops form about 5 feet to about 12 in channel.we fished right on edge of drop off.hope i explained that ok

7. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    So if you are coming from new bern you are fishing just before you get to the platform on the right side of it, and you are casting towards that point where the creek meets the neuse.

8. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    yes thats right jason.we have had good luck everytime in that spot.hope u have good luck to,let me know how u did.

9. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    Sounds like you guys are really wearin' em out in the Neuse. I fish the Neuse up in Smithfield every once in a while with some friends. It is a very under-rated river with alot of nice size catfish. I wouldnt doubt it if the next state record was from the Neuse. I've seen plenty of flats in the 40-50lb range come out of there, and if there are ones that size then there should be ones bigger. Are you guys still using live eels? And what type of hooks are you using, circle or J ?

10. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    i think there are still some bigger ones in the neuse to.I am still using live eels.i am also using the circle hooks.seems to work good for me.i have never been up in smithfield, is the water very deep there?

11. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Neuse in Smithfield is very shallow right now tammeej. I wnet 3 weekends ago and it was up high and moving so fast even no-roll weights wouldn't stay put. I wound up fishing up in a creek (Swift Creek) and we caught a 12 flat and a 9 blue. Not much to talk about. The next weekend my buddy went and almost had to call someone to help him get out it was so low. Neuse has been low alot this year around here. We have been down to Elizabethtown a couple of times and fished the Cape.

12. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Went out this morning after the rain stopped, the wind didnt stop though. I had one bite but didnt catch anything. It was probably more the weather than anything else.

13. Matth2083

Matth2083 New Member

State:
    Raleigh
    Hey Jay...If you ever want any company out on the river sometime, Id be more than happy to accompany you. I live around the NC State area and am still struggling to find that quality night of catfishing without a boat. Ive noticed that some of the guys on here organize outings and gatherings and what not. I just notice you go out alone a lot. Just throwing it out there too. Hope the Neuse keeps treating you well before it gets too cold out there. Good luck

14. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Went out of glenburnie in new bern on saturday night, went upriver about 17 miles and caught one 10# channel cat. Water temp was about 56 degrees. Left before the morning bite because other people in the boat were cold. It was about 34 degrees that night, almost too cold when going 40mph but it looks like this weekend will be a lot warmer at night and during the days. Hope everyone has good luck.

15. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Went out last night out of new bern and went upriver 16 miles. I was going to put in at ft barnwell but the river is so low and the water level is below the end of the ramp. Caught 2 flatheads, one 31 lbs and one 18lbs. Caught 3 blues, one 25lbs and 2 under 20lbs a bowfin and a 7lb striper. River is still producing some good fishing. Water temp was 58 degrees.

16. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Good report :)

Glad to hear your still getting them. Here at gaston lake the blues and stripers are on too. I posted the report and pics under the post.......
    "new member here from gaston lake"

And Im going again tonight. :D

17. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    jason did u catch them with live eels?havent had a chance to go out for a while but may get a chance this week

18. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I caught the flats on live eels and the blues on cut eel. I use four rods with 1/2 live and 1/2 cut, that way I catch something no matter where I fish. Hope you get to go out soon, the water is going to cool down soon and the flatties wont bite. Water was 58 degrees. I hear once it reaches 50 all you will catch are blues.

19. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Jason, Thanks for the offer to fish with you...I wished we could have made it down there.

When you find a spot where you are marking fish on you fish finder, how long will you fish that spot?

Are you fishing holes or structure.... :confused: :confused: :confused:

20. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    to tell you the truth I dont really use the fishfinder too much except for speed, distance, and depth. The river is normally so shallow where I fish that the fish normally hang near the shores in the cover. So when I am riding along I look for trees in the water, or feeder creeks with a lot of cover nearby. Normally fishing this way I catch a lot of fish of good size. Hope you get out soon.