Neuse River

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by RPGNC, Jun 14, 2007.

1. RPGNC

RPGNC New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I found a spot on 64 that has a little trail to walk down to the river, I've been fishing there alot and so far the only decent fish I caught was a 3 pound catfish, everything else was tiny. The only bait I have is worms and I was wondering if I should be using anything else. I'm new to catfishing and want to catch a big one, are there any good spots on the river I need to try?

2. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    take the worms you are trying to catch cats with and use them to catch bream...then throw out the bream (I use a 8/0 gami. circle hook) and hold on...

not sure the exact spot your talking about but I caught my biggest flathead (23lbs) in that stretch of river and i know of a 32lb. that was taking out of the stretch and a few 20's as well...

Be patient flatheads travel along way sometimes looking for bait in the night time...not sure your line weight but I use 65lb. braided allot of snags and you may need to muscle the fish away from snags...make sure you have sufficient terminal tackle there are some monsters in there...not to mention HUGE bowfin and gar....

good luck and tight lines!

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    We've caught many over 40 pounds in the same area.

4. RPGNC

RPGNC New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I guess I should buy some better gear, im using a shakespeare 4003SA reel, a 6 foot shakespeare rod with 20lb spiderwire line. Ive now tried 3 different spots on the river and havnt caught anything good. The water looks to shallow everywhere I go. I haven't tried fishing there at night yet, but im going to soon. I used a bream for a while, but I cut him into 3 sections and used a small piece of him. should I keep him alive and cast him out?

5. RPGNC

RPGNC New Member

State:
    North Carolina
  6. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    i would like to have that one for my aquarium

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Bankfishing at night is going to give you the best oppertunity.
    The river is shallow and bankfishing leaves you fishing where you can access.
    At night those flatheads will move up into those shallows.

Use PVC rod holders driven into the ground. The old Y shaped stick stuck in the sand will leave you rodless real quick. Seen it happen more then a few times.

8. RPGNC

RPGNC New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Here are some pics I took with google maps of the 3 places I've tried so far, not sure if you can tell where they are located but there are some road names you might recognize.
    http://www.gamers4fun.com/~ntruder/Pics/nuese%20river%20fishing%20spot%201.bmp
    http://www.gamers4fun.com/~ntruder/Pics/nuese%20river%20fishing%20spot%202.bmp
    http://www.gamers4fun.com/~ntruder/Pics/nuese%20river%20fishing%20spot%203.bmp

*edit* oops, didnt save them as a JPEG, they should still work though.

9. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    ..when I have seen some of the spots in the daytime that i fished in the night time i was amazed!!!!!...less than a foot of water right in front of a log jam...in a current break...

the spots you linked to are good spots...be patient!!

look for current breaks....flatties don't like currents...during the day fish close to the log jams or under cuts in the banks...night time, fish away from the structure and try to find neck down areas or sand bars...

flatheads will actually use the shore line to push a bream or shad out of the water...we have heard them feeding at night and they will break water chasing their food source...they are ferocious feeders...

like i said make sure you have the right equipment....you may not get a second chance....

not sure about your rod and reel capabilities...i use a 9' surf rod and a quantum reel (open face)...but a small stout rod will work...all my combos were cheap, less than $50 and two of them were purchased at wally world but i have caught plenty of big cats with those combos....like I said...

i spend all of money on my terminal tackle....gamakatsu hooks, we make our own no roll sinkers and suffix braided line...

good luck and tight lines!!!