Neuse River...

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by greggofish, Apr 3, 2007.

1. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    Can anyone give me the low down on the Neuse River right around the Kinston area. Aint lookin' for spots........just want average water depth in that area, any hazzards to look out for, etc... will be fishing in May there and don't know the area very well.

Thanks for any help.......

2. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    Kinston is a tricky part of river to fish! It has alot of stumps and trees if you dont pay attention,things can go wrong quickly,get hurt or tear a motor up.With that said the neuse river in Kinston is a great place to catch monster cats.It is full of log jams,bends,and deep holes.The average depth is hard to say because it is controled by a dam in Raleigh and they dont mind keeping all the water for themselves,or flooding every town down stream to New Bern.If I had to give an average I would say around 6 feet.The average holes are 10 to 25feet. http://newweb.erh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=mhx&gage=kinn7&view=1,1,1,1,1,1 is the web site for river levels in Kinston.If you want to fish before May to scout,I would be more than happy to show you around and help in anyway I can.Sent me a message and I will give you contact info.I hope this helps!

3. Bottomline

Bottomline New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Very little water last time I fished there. Be careful.

4. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    How are the cats in the neuse in New Bern? does anyone know about that part of the river? I am new to the area and I am itching for a big flat.

5. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Where in new bern are you looking to fish from? And are you goin from the bank or a boat? Be glad to help you out.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    There are a lot of big cats around new bern, there have been flatheads caught up to 65lbs and blues caught well into the 50's. Not sure about a lot of bank fishing spots but I know some, as for spots for boats I would be willing to help you also.

7. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Bank fishing is all I do right now, my boat is still back home and I wont have it down for another month or so. I will do a lot more fishing once I get her down here. I have been going to a spot over by west craven middle school, I have had no luck there though. There is also a launch there, do you have any idea if that is a good spot for bank or for launching. If not do you have any suggestions. Thanks.

8. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I fish there all the time. Ill probably be there friday & saturday night let me know if you want to try again.

9. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I am going to try to get out there on saturday, it will depend on the air show though, if I have to do something in that I might have to wait until next weekend. I have been out there the last three saturdays in a row,I havent had any luck hooking up with anything big, little bream I use for bait and little cats that dont even break the 10" mark.

10. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Were u fishin the dock last sat afternoon and left about dark?

11. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeah I was out there until maybe 10.

12. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I use that ramp all the time, there was a 49lb blue caught there a few weeks ago. Do you keep your fish or do you release them, I am willing to show you a lot of good spots if you are willing to let the big ones go so we catch them again. One of these days there will be a state record flathead caught down there, I can feel it. I dont mind eating cats once in a while but I would never eat one around here, there is a mercury and PCB warning on the neuse. Went out last night and caught a 15lb flat and had more bites, the other boat that was with me had one on that was probably 30-40lbs but it got off. Not sure what else they caught because I left before them.

13. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I catch and release. Well I try to catch and if I do I release. I am thinking about driving up north next weekend to tow my boat down, if that doesnt happen I will probably be on the bank trying again.

14. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    If you dont go I can show you some spots in my boat.

15. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I appreciate that, I should know whats going on with my weekend in a couple days. I have another question, when fishing with eels is it better to fish them suspended with a float or to fish them on the bottom. I would think if they were on the bottom they would try to bury themselves. I could be wrong though.

16. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    When I am using eels I either cut them in half or cut about 2-3 inches off of their tail. If you cut them in half in the right place they will still live for a long time and also bleed into the water. They wont be able to dig down. Also when I want to use a whole eel I still cut about 2-3 inches off so they cant wrap themselves up in the line as well.

17. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That makes sense, thanks.

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Hiked into a spot on the Neuse above Smithfield and below Raleigh:big_smile: last night. We both worked all day yesterday and didnt have time to catch some bream for bait and still get hiked in and set up before dark so we bought 3 dozen what are referred to as large bass minnows . Large minnows of today are medium minnows of 8 years ago.
    We got 6 catfsih. All flatheads except one channel.
    The largest fish I caught was a 33 pound flathead. I caught him on a 3 inch minnow and a 6/0 circle hook.
    My rod was a 7" ugly cat Ugly Stick with a ABU6500 C3 reel spooled with 25 pound Berkley Big Game.

Yea when that fish hit we both said at the same time. Pulling Volkswagons out of the Neuse. Its a common occurance on the Neuse.

The fish were light biting. When the 33 hit he rocked the rod pretty hard the first time. I picked the rod up and was looking to feel him so I could tell in the dark if he was running and to which side.
    I screwed up, I applied too much pressure and lifted the weight. Pulled the bait right out of his mouth. I immediately stopped and BAM he followed it about 5 feet and was on it in 2 seconds.

At first I really wondered if it wasnt one of those monsters turtles we catch down there. And I was fishing in the exact spot we call the turtle hole because thats all that I caught out of that particular spot about the size of a swimming pool last year.
    This fish was dead weight and digging in. I quickly figured out it wasnt a turtle when it pulled back hard enough it carried me 3 feet closer to the bank.
    The fight was 5 minutes or so and hand landed.

We fish the Neuse from the bank quite a bit. We scout spots without carrying fishing gear so we can cover ground.
    When we find a likely spot we'll head down for some fishing and setting some limb lines:eek:oooh:
    We'll run some limblines from the bank while we fish. There is no better way to scout out a spot. We had limblined a 22 pound blue and several blues in the teens out of this spot last year so we knew fish were there and good fish.
    That 33 pounder is just a topper to the 22 pounder. We still havent gotten into the big ones yet there. We weren't even big fish fishing last night or we would have had something besides a less then grown minnow to fish with.:big_smile:

19. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Went on the neuse last night out of spring garden, wasn't a spectacular night but still caught five fish with the biggest being 16lbs. Hopefully the thunderstorms hold off for a while. I have been watching the blue and the white cat in my aquarium and they are really active today, they ate about 6-7 minnows. Normally they are in the logs in my aquarium but for some reason today they are actively feeding and are out in the open. Maybe they are trying to tell me to go fishing again. Last night I was using bream bigger than my hand and they were getting eaten, hopefully tonight a bigger one will come along.

20. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My boat is finally on its way down to me, it should be here this weekend and after a quick service I am planning on taking her out. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck on the nuese lately.