Neuse River Timing

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by amk29, Sep 17, 2009.

1. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    Just curious when during the day/night everybody has had the best luck fishing on the Neuse. I have caught the most/biggest b/w about 9pm-12am for flatheads and 10pm-2 am for channels. Anybody have luck during the morning after sun-up? Anybody catch much during the day now that the weather is cooler? Thanks, adam

2. rellis

rellis New Member

State:
    Raleigh NC
    Fishing in Raleigh I would say right now I have had best luck around 8:45-10:30 but more toward 9:30-10:30pm for flat heads. I havent really caught alot of channels lately because I have been mostly using bream. I will be out tommorow at Andersons point around 630-7 and hopefully have something good to report. hows fishing been for ya the last week or so? I will find out soon enough but was just wondering if they are biting better now.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009

3. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    things have been crazy at work and i haven't gotten a chance to get out. i went about 3 wks ago when the water was still really low and didn't get any hits in about 4 h of fishing. i think w/ the rain today, you have got a great chance of catching fish. cooler temps may also help things along. i think the flats really come out at dark and then trail off over a the few hours after dusk. that has been my experience anyway. how is the fishing by anderson pt, looks nice right where crabtree creek comes in but i have never fished it. is it deep there? i have fished downstream a few hundred yards (a little ways past the rapids) and done relatively well. is the point accessible at night or do they lock up everything? good luck man and let us know how you do.

4. rellis

rellis New Member

State:
    Raleigh NC
    Most of the river from Andersons point to crabtree creek is about 3-5 foot deep. There is a deeper hole right after the 264 bridge that drops to about 8-9 foot and goes for about 30 feet or so. I usually fish about 100-200 yards upstream from crabtree creek and the boat is in 2-3 foot of water (when water level is normal) but there is a small spot right by the shore (covered in logs/tree branches) that drops to 6 foot and that has been my best spot. 3 good flatheads (to me they are nice) 17-25 lbs have come from the exact same area along with many smaller ones. I may try where you are talking about depending on the water level. I was planning on leaving that spot around 11pm if they stop biting and try to find them somewhere else. Ill let ya know how it goes. Oh yea I believe it "can" be locked up but I have fished from the shore/in a boat from andersons point for about 13-15 years and never once have I seen it locked.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The clock don't matter.
    If the water turns and starts rising the least little bit, forget you got a family, kick the dog out of the way, and blow off the girlfriend. Get down to the river.

6. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    :smile2: mark j reminds me of me........:smile2: like the sticker says.......we now interrupt this marriage to bring you catfishing season!:wink:

7. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    you guys catch flats during the day?

8. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    wow Mark J that's hardcore, usually i try to avoid pissing off both my wife and girlfriend at the same time... i guess my priorities are all messed up.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Tonight would probally be a good night being it's overcast, drizzly with showers and the rain up north of Raleigh today.

I don't like a moon either. Put that sucker below the horizon or behind a cloud.

10. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    adam flatties will bite during the day....but the beasts do better at night....most day flatties are smaller!............flathead are primarily noctournal feeders...........but they will feed during the day if its and easy meal and theyre hu:wink:ngry!

11. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    In the rivers it seems like Kevin said that the smaller ones are caught during the day. Don't ever rule it out though and the early morning bite is supposed to be great but I don't have any experience with it:confused2:

12. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    anybody fish the neuse in early AM and done well?

13. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    early morning bite is always anticipated.......but it shouldnt alway be expected!:wink:

14. hardydk1

hardydk1 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I mainly fish at night for cats, and have found that it seems they bite early in the night, then late at night. As far as the early morning bite, my friends PB flathead of 46 lbs. hit right around 6ish. The sun was barely up, just enough to see better.

15. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    i remember seeing your post about that. what a monster... you were fishing downstream of raleigh right? had any luck in the raleigh area (i am coming from durham and it's a hike)? i have only fished north of auburn nightdale and haven't laid into anything over 30 #. Haven't fished past 2 am or so.

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    From my experience the morning bite is is quick.
    Had them hit like wildfire for 30 minutes and then it dies to nothing.
    Wafflehouse time.

Night bite has started before dark and is sporadic up until about midnight or so most of the time.