Neuse River still very high

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by JAYNC, Dec 5, 2006.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Just went to the USGS site and the neuse is still about 7 feet above normal where I normally fish. I guess the fish are just getting me back for all of them that I caught earlier this year. Has anyone been out even in the high water, if so how did you do. Hopefully in another week or two it will be back to normal. It seems like we didn't even get a fall fishing season. The water was in the 80's then all the sudden it was in the fifties and then it flooded a couple times. Maybe someday we'll be able to fish again. I just hope they are still biting, or alive for that matter with all of that runoff.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Maybe the high water will replenish your fishing grounds.
    Probally carry all our good fish right to you:big_smile:

3. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    lol, thats true. maybe it will bring down some of the big blues. I need to break 60lbs and i know they are in there.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I haven't caught any blues over 20 pounds out of the Neuse but the flatheads we've caught up to 50 pounds. This was the year of the turtle for me in the Neuse. my favorite spot for cats yielded some impressive snappers and I couldnt stay out of them for some reason. With several of us fishing it was always my bait they went after.

5. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I got some pics I will post later(courtesy of bronco67).

If your familiar with the ramp behind the lumber yard, the river was all the way up to the pay can.....man that has too be about 7-10' higher than normal.

6. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    I feel the same way Jason.We didnt really have any fall fishing.The water temp changed real quick then we had flooding.I havent heard of anyone catching anything here around spring garden.Im starting to get cabin fever :sad2: maybe ill try for some winter striper's with some live eels soon if the catfish dont want to cooperate.:confused2: Now i am looking forward to february when the shad start running.They are a blast to catch on light tackle

7. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Well Mark if you want to break your 20lb mark on blues your more than welcome to come down. I catch all my big blues between turkey quarter creek to kinston. I seldomly fish much more than 10 miles upriver from barnwell in normal pools because I dont like hitting stumps. I caught 2 blues in the mid 50's this year and lots more under 50. As far as flatheads go all the big ones seem to be between turkey quarter and new bern, they like the slower water where the river widens out and the blues like the narrower water with fast current. I normally catch most of my bigger fish on live and cut eels. Caught the biggest flat this year on bullhead, was 46lbs.

8. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Jay the water looks good at spring garden

9. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Thats good, is anyone fishing though.

10. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I catch a lot of bass in a feeder creek when the water rises a few feet. I'm from TN which isn't all that far from you. I would take any chance at fishing high water, it's been pretty low here lately.

11. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I fished Fri and Sat night at the rampnothing sta night one rock sat.Alot of current

12. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    Hello Dave :smile2: No one is catching any cats?? how big was the rock??

13. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Well the river is almost back to normal levels and the rain is on the way. Hopefully it wont rain too much. I really want to get out there and catch some big cats. Been a long time since I went catfishing.

14. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    got one 5 pound cat the other day the rock was 21''

15. jimbob3445

jimbob3445 New Member

State:
    New Bern, North Carolina
    Yep i was getting ready to go fishing and the creeks and river are back high again, does any around here know of any small used outboard motors for sale if so pm me thanks

16. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Tried fishing near spring garden last night. Got a couple bites but didn't hook up with anything. Might try again in a couple days.

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've always had better luck in the rivers with a rising river especially as it begins its rise.