Neuse River on Fire

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by bufryda1, Sep 30, 2006.

1. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    Fished last night on the Neuse in Smithfield. Temperature was 46 degrees and water temp was at 70 degrees. Couldnt even see 10 yds in front of the boat from all the fog. Went downstream about 8 miles and caught 3 and missed a couple more. Biggest was 46lb flathead, 14lb blue and 13lb flathead. The 46# hit in 5ft of water and put up a good fight. All fish came on live bream. The river came up about 2ft overnight too. Should have pics up soon.

2. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    wow way to go sounds like you had fun!!

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I like those conditions...stealthy..lol Glad ya had fun bud!

4. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Sounds like a great fishing trip! Good going on the catching.
    Looking forward to the pics!
    Barb

5. usmc0208

usmc0208 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sounds like a good spot Congrats on the catches.

6. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    There was a shooting behind the lumber yard last night...three dead they can't find the last body but they think there was a total of four...

heard a cop and a man discussing the details outside the bait shop

I have not seen anything on the news yet?????

7. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    guys, i have said it before, but always be very careful there and the jug too. crazees are out late at smithfield ramps for some reason.

be sure to bring your favorite lead injector and a buddy with his too.

nice fish ryan, i have let "old shallow" down this year, havent fished her much at all.

8. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I had a very uncomfortable situation here at the town ramp in Washington last weekend.. It was just after midnight and I was packing up for the night. As I walked around the boat to strap it 2 "shady" guys came walking up to me wanting to know if I would give them a ride. I asked them where they wanted to go and they told me... so of course I said "sorry guys I'm going the other way. Well they then said they would go to a place in that direction and I told them no.. so they started giving me grief about not wanting to cooperate. I knew I was in a bad situation and stupidly I was alone since I'm new here I don't have a fishing friend and my wife isn't that interested in night fishing. Well, I said ok ok man I'll give ya'll a ride just let me move some gear so I can put the seat up in back. Well, I keep a "lead injector" by the seat at night. I walked to the door and slipped in like I was moving stuff. When one of the guys opened for the passenger door I hit the locks to lock mine stuck the gun in his face and in no uncertain terms made him understand I was very serious about no one entering my truck!! His buddy started running and he froze as I drove off with the passenger door still open.
    I guess I'm done night fishing alone. I'm sure if had shot one of the guys with the world the way it is today I'd go to prison.... I now keep a compact .380 in my jacket as well...
    I told the cops, all they said was it is not advised to be in a secluded area alone at night... I knew I was wasting my breath...

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    sundrop i dont blame you one bit. some folks just dont understand NO! i been thinking about this for a while and after reading your post maybe its time to be prepared for worst come worster. i had a boat last night all but ran into me that had 4 fellows in it. one jumped up right when they got to me 5-10ft away. i think he was just scared he was going to hit me but i had been watching them comeing and was tying to go the other way but everytime i turned the trolling motor they turned the same way. said they was lost but he almost eat a cast net when he jumped up. i thought it was the game warden or i would have never let them get that close. just never know now a days. you done the right thing in my book.

10. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    I agree you did right thing. If polite no is not enough then you just have reach an understanding. I have always been amazed at how polite and understanding people get when you get out a Colt 45. I am going to start packing myself and always at night.

11. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    If you see me with my pants on I am packing. Usually a Glock 23 and extra mag except when I am hunting, and then it's usually a 4 5/8" Blackhawk in .45 Colt.

I was on the river one night and when I pulled up to the NC wildlife boat landing these two goobers shined a spotlight on me. One of them started accusing me of messing with their trot lines. I had a couple of eating size cats in my cooler but I caught them on my rods. As I pulled up pissed off they kept hollaring at me obviously drunk. I tied off the boat and walked to my truck. I unlocked the door and took out an old 870 pump I keep behind the seat. One of the guys motioned at the gun and asked what it was for.
    VARMITS I said.

I finsihed loading without incident.

What they did not know was I was packing my glock under my coat the entire time.

12. idolg

idolg New Member

State:
    Colfax, NC
    I hear ya Ryan! I fished the Neuse a couple of years ago and had good luck then but not that good! Nice fishing!

13. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    if you want to fish the neuse now you don't need a boat...just a set of chest waders....:roll_eyes: