Neuse River in late april or early may

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by bogeyman, Mar 7, 2007.

1. bogeyman

bogeyman New Member

State:
    Collinsville Virginia
    A friend of mine wants to fish the neuse out of Kinston in later April or early May.......any suggestions as we have never fished there before..........

2. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    That area of the river is pretty good. Just have to make sure that the river has enough water in it or you will be hitting a lot of stumps. This is the site for the Neuse river level at Kinston, if its below 5' you will hit stumps, if it is over 8' you probably wont be able to use the ramp.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nc/nwis/uv/?site_no=02089500&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060

There are a lot of nice holes, and some feeder creeks both up and down river from Kinston. Everywhere you look there are a lot of nice undercut banks and tons of log jams, you shouldn't have any trouble fishing that stretch of river.

3. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    The river is very stumpy and can be very dangerous if you don't know it that well.I have no problem fishing it at 3 feet or 13 feet.I have fished and hunted this part of the river my whole life.I travel more on it in the dark than the day(deer,duck,goose,turkey hunting and catfishing).If you team up with someone that knows the river it is alot safer and cheaper on the pocket book.The best advice I can give you is to take it slow.There are great places to catfish everywhere on the neuse you don't have to travel far from the landing to catch monster cats.If you want let me know when you are planning on fishing the neuse maybe I can help you with your fishing adventure.