Neuse River fish kill

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by fitzh2o, Sep 5, 2007.

1. fitzh2o

fitzh2o New Member

State:
    Hubert, NC
    I read in the paper that they found over 2000 catfish dead in the Neuse. Anybody have any more info on this? They said they thought that the water was getting to salty on account of the lack of rain. :angry:

Marc

2. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Our local news said they were in upper broad creek which is out just past new bern in waters that normally arent considered good catfish spots. The salt water usually doesnt make it up that creek, I guess it was the wind pushing it up further than normal.

3. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    It was 2000 fish not just catfish on the news I saw gar bass and a monster pike.The reason it happened we need ran.I talked to a guy that fishes that part of the river the water is about Two foot low and the river is pushing up in it.

4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    The Charlotte Observer (9-06-07), Sports Section, reported that there were 2,000 catfish killed in the Upper Broad River due to lack of fresh water and too much salt water. Did not mention other types of fish in the article.

5. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
  6. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I used to be stationed by the Neuse River. If I remember right that river was very polluted. Am I right?

7. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Met with the man thats sets nets around new bern today .He said he went up there yesterday and saw all kinds of fish and yes there where some catfish but not 2000 catfish .Every thang from brim Bass Gar Pike perch .
    When I sow it on the news the first time the river keeper went by a huge pike.The neuse has its problems like most rivers in the state and other states.But the News Jumps on it hard.I set nets in the riverfor ten years .I have ate fish that has come from the riverall my life.When I worked a the fish market I would eat seafood that came from the river two or three times a weak and the only thang that happen to me was stumped my growth:smile2:

8. LFitzH20

LFitzH20 New Member

State:
    NC
    What they said was the amount of fresh water towards the west end of the Neuse was low, which made more salt water come up from the ocean. There just wasnt enough fresh water to dilute the salt.