Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am gonna head down the Neuse and put in at the ramp in Kinston and had a few questions. I am guessing the river is low right now, so how low does that mean it is in Kinston. I was wondering if I can safely navigate a 17.5 ft. "bass" boat, or if i will need to bring the canoe with a trolling motor. Also, what is the current like in the river there? I was looking at satellite photos and it looks like there are some deep bends just upstream of the ramp. What is the river depth at this area, and are there many navigational hazards in the river?

·
Registered
716 Posts
I havent been there since last summer. I had a 15 ft jon boat with a 40 motor on the back. It got REAL shallow in some of those bends, esp. the first bend. I got stuck on the sand bar once and ended up having to jump in and push off and i kicked a sunken log and it took my big toe's nail off.. bled the whole time while fishing. Havent been back since. From what ive heard, if you go to the right (under the bridge) its got some deeper water. Thats just what i heard. Its a nice boat ramp though. current at the boat ramp is wicked. good luck and let us know how the fishing is.​

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guess it was a good idea that I didn't try and take the motor boat, and took the canoe instead. The river was realllly low. We ran the canoe onto sandbars multiple time. I dont think I would have made it anywhere in the boat. The fishing was slow, with only a few fish actually caught. The biggest fish was a 10 pound blue, real pretty fish, but not quite the size we were looking for. Thinking the cold front that came through during the day may have affected the bite. Still was good to get out there and fish a different part of the river. Now I just need to figure out where I can take the real boat for some bit cats in the river. 13 hours in a canoe was not what my back needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.