Neuse River blue catfish - bream and catfish bite was slow

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by mack in n.c., Apr 15, 2006.

1. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    went to lower neuse yesterday.....slow day...bream bite slow...finally caught them by fishing crickets on bottom......cat bite slow after dark.....1 decent cat , the rest were small......saw ospreys, turkeys and 1 nice
    fox squirell......will try to post pic of biggest cat,,,,,,,good day on the water except for the jerk with the bass boat and a 200 hp engine....he gunned it when he saw me anchored and came within 20 yds of me doing aprox 50 plus sprayed me with water.........i was hoping he would hit the log in the middle of the river around the bend...no such luck......mack

Attached Files:

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Nice Blue man! Sorry to hear about the rude guy!

Zakk

3. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Mack when you say lower Neuse what does that mean????

I just stared fishing the neuse in smithfield but it is SHALLOW!! We fished this past saturday one small one but I was limited to the amount of time I could fish...had alot of bites....but they never wanted to take it probably small ones...

Is it any deeper down river of Smithfield???

Thanks....

4. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    its a personal thing but to me the lower neuse means anything below goldsboro.........some other fishermen could divide it different....i mainly fish the river in 2 areas....1 is between smithfield and gboro .....the other is between kinston and new bern......i have fished it in ther spots....but i like these the best.......betweensmithfiels and gboro is indeed shallow in some spots.....you can search earlier post about all the problems guys have in the shallow water......but there are deeper spots in the river near smithfield..and big cats.....1 spot i got to not many others can in the summer because there is a place where the river all the way across is only inches deep....no problem for my canoes....i can get out and walked it up........then i go up to several holes as deep as 12-14' .....my friend in his jon boat can not get to this spot in low water....better fishing for me..no other boats ....the drawback for me is i am limited as to how far and fast i can go.......now the river does deepen up mainly below kinston.........there are still some shallow spots but it is deeper thn on up.......some of my spots in the "lower" neuse are 30 feet deep...

5. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    nice fish!! i havent caught a blue cat yet.I was hoping to get one tonight but it didnt happen.congrats on the fish

6. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Nice fish Mack!
    Try not to let the rude jerk with the big motor get to you. He was jealous you caught a real fish...lol

7. Don Miller

Don Miller New Member

State:
    NC
    I wish everyone wuld slow to no wake when they meet someone fishing in a narrow part of the river!