Neuse River around New Bern

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by catfishingcpa, Nov 9, 2005.

1. catfishingcpa

catfishingcpa New Member

I live here in Fayetteville. I am blessed to be at one of the greatest fisheries for catfish in the country. The Cape Fear. I am relatively new to catfishing. My personal best is a 22# blue on cut eel. I have met a man who takes me once a month. I am addicted.

That being said. I am from New Bern orginally and fished the Trent River for a long time. All bass and bream stripers etc.

Now that I am hooked on Catfishing, is there a blue catfish or flathead population in the Neuse around New Bern. I would not think the Trent would hold any. But from what I have heard there are blues in the Neuse say starting around Weyerhauser back toward Swift Creek. I do not know anyone in that area who fishes for cats. But then again I never really paid attention to catfish.

Any New Bern catters out there that can confirm my suspicions.

2. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

Newport N.C.
    There are tons of catfish starting before weyerhauser right by the mouth of swift creek. A lady on this forum caught a 50+ lb flathead there about a month ago. I normally put it at the glenburnie ramp and run up past the turkey quarter creek ramp. I catch a lot of flats and blues up that way with the biggest flat being 35lbs and the biggest blue being 52lbs. Good luck there are a lot of cats in that river, and soon enough this river will produce a record, I know they are in there. Someone just has to catch one.