Neuse River 31 August

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by crankbait77, Sep 2, 2008.

1. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well Jason and I got out the other day with all intensions of finding some really big blues. After all the rain the current was up and giving the fish plenty of areas to explore that they had not seen for nearly a year. Just a few minutes after we got set up the fun began with a 12 pound flat in the boat just after nine.

2. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    As most already know, last August I broke the Channel Cat record with a 18 pound 5.44 oz fish. That record was set in my friend Jason's boat on one of his rods.

Well just last month a man in the western part of the state broke my record with a fish caught in his back yard pond with "he claims" a Barbie fishing rod.

At 9:10 Jason hooked up with a nice fish on my boat, and with my rod. Without the black cricket and Barbie rod story Jason landed a 20.7 pound channel cat.

That by itself would have been a good night, but just minutes later I also broke my record with a 19.6 pound channel cat at 9:45.

The channel that I caught last year weighed just over 20 pounds when caught, but after being on a stringer all night it was certified the next morning at just over 18 pounds 5 ounces.

The remainder of the night Jason "JAYNC" and I moved around and hit different structure and found even more fish, but none of wich got us as excited as the two big channel cats early in the night.

In all we caught nine fish with largest being a 33 pound blue that I caught at 12:45.

The total weight for the night was 148 pounds, with the strangest thing brought to the boat not included. That was a 25 to 30 pound snapping turtle that was brought to the boat just before sunrise.

It was a strange, but fun night, and all fish were released alive, so with a little luck maybe soon a catfisherman can take back the record for the channel cat, and give Barbie a rest.

Attached Files:

3. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    it was a great night, we also caught a 12lb channel. We took catnaround up there with us and he did well also. one of these times we'll get the record back.

4. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    very thankful too. so is tracy.

5. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    It was our pleasure, and I look forward to seeing you two out on the water again.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    maybe next time they wont kick our butts on the river, if last night would have been a tournament we would have been in big trouble. It was fun taking you guys up there, hopefully we can do it again soon before we get slammed by a hurricane.

7. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    well i think we are goin tonight but i think im gonna try some places a little closer to the landing tonight.

8. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    yeah there are a lot of good spots closer to the ramp also. Did you get another prop yet.

9. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    no i found one online for 54$. but i just put my spare on for now. i got to lookin at the prop i took off and it bent one blade pretty bad along with what we seen that night. got a dent in the bottom of the boat too.

when yall goin again?

10. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    that sucks about the dent, mine hit really hard and eventually I replaced the hull because of cavitation. If you have one small dent it shouln't effect it too bad, my last hull had about 20 dents in it because of the waters I used to fish in all the time. You may want to try getting one of the stingray hydrofoils that we have though, it picks the boat out of the water more and improved the handling on my boat a lot. Not sure when we are going again, but I think next time we are going to fish further downriver and give it a break for a while up there.

11. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I might be going tonight, have not put too much thought into it yet, but I still have bait, so I may be out there.

12. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I might go,, depends how far I get with preparing the yard for this hurricane.

13. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    well i got a hydro foil that i had on my other motor, but i have trim tabs that i custom made for the boat. was kinda thinkin about puting the foil on there but i didnt know how it would act with the tabs. then id have holes in the motor. :confused2:.

we were gonna go tonight but i had a buddy invite us to go to bay river and try the big drum tonight so we're gonna try it. i know we will be out there tomarrow night.