Neuse river 2009

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by cat'n around, Jan 15, 2009.

1. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    me and tracy decided enough was enough and went mon. night. we had it in our minds rain,sleet or snow that we were goin. temp was somewhere around the mid 30's. water temp was 48. water cfps was where we were at about 3500 to 4000. finally foun some eels. we only ran a couple miles up river and setup in a hole thats produced for us before. set out 6 rods. with one of them being what i was tought the hail mary rod that gets chunked across river. (thanks wesley and jay). we were only there but about 15mins and tracy hauls a 30lb blue up from the other side.

we tried 2 more places with a few more runs. but the moon came up and the wind started blown, so we called it a night.

Attached Files:

2. 07_hemi_thunderroad

07_hemi_thunderroad New Member

State:
    north caro
    nice looking cat! i am glad that you guys had some luck caught the cat's!

3. Wiskerstickerr

Wiskerstickerr New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Good job Brent! We gonna see you this year?

4. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    yeah ill be at the cowpen tourny's. cape fear will never see my boat again.

5. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Nice Cat. Congrats on a good night.

6. jimbob3445

jimbob3445 New Member

State:
    New Bern, North Carolina
    Me and my wife are hoping to go out of cowpen tuesday or wensday during the day. I only have a trolling motor right now any spots cloese enough to the landing that are good.

7. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    try up river two curves from the landing and fish the mouth of the feeder creek. thats the same place me and tracy caught our biggest fish last yr. when we finished second in the tourny. if you can make it up there you should have no problems getting back. the current is ripping.

8. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I will hopefully be up that way soon, but with the weather the way it has been lately who knows. Caught anything lately Brent?

9. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    well after 3 months of not being able to go tracy and i finally got to fish together again. i had been a few times with others but hadnt done much good. anyway the water was high as it has been for a while now. temp has came back up to the low 60's. we tried a few places we normally fish and caught the smallest flathead i beleave i had ever seen. weighed in at a whopping 1lb. ended up catching a 17lb blue. i made a fatal mistake sunday night and i hope all my boc friends forgive me. i brought the blue home to eat not paying any attention to what time of year it is. she was full of roe. :sad2: trust me it wont happen again. only bait we had was eels so i didnt give them the usual buffet. should be getting close for them to spit those eggs out and be reay to eat. may try again thurs. night. but as always i had a blast fishing with the best partner man can ask for.

10. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    we were kinda weary of goin lastnight but we toughed the wind and cold. tried two places kinda close to the ramp so it wont so bad of a ride. tracy caught the 1st fish which was 16lb blue at about 10. and exactly 1 hour later i caught a blue that was 28lb. both fish were released. water had came up some from sunday night. and was 61 dgrees. current was moderate. gonna take the kids this weekend. will report back. :cool2:

11. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    We haven't done much either this year, the only people I know who have been doing good are tammej and ron, they have caught tons of flats so far. I dont even think we have gone over 100lbs so far this year total,, but I think we have only gone 3 times, we are probably in the 50lb range, but things should be heating up big time in the next week or so, hopefully the river will be lower than flood stage soon. good luck everyone

12. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    me and tracy decided to make a long run lastnight and try some new places. boy did we get surprised. we got to the 1st place just before dark and the 1st fish we pulled in was a 15.5 flat on a bluegill. at about 9:00 or so the reel started screamin, i locked her down and loaded the rod and imediatly drag stripped. the fight was on then, ended up being a 43.1 lb. flat. being that we had caught 2 fish from there we moved and setup in the mouth of a feeder creek. we wont there long and tracy set the hook and faught a another big flat in. this one tok her for a ride, pulling the front anchor loose. when it was all over she had her a 42lb flat. we were both shocked that we had caught not one but 2 40lber flats within 2 hrs. man what a night.

Attached Files:

13. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    That is a good night, your just lucky Wes and I didn't go out or we would have caught two 80 pounders. LOL Good job guys, those are the nights that keep you coming back.

14. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    Excellent night of fishing Cat-n-around. You all fishing the St. Jude Tourney? Thanks for the picks. Have you all been catching any blues or do you all think they're on the beds?

15. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    man what somegreat fish ,hope its like that next weakend at the tourny down that way

16. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    i dont think we are gonna make the tourny. since the flathead frenzy kicked off i havent really been targeting blues, but the lastones i caught about a mth ago were full of eggs.

jay, dont worry ill let you and wes in on were i caught these fish. its ok man. :smile2:

17. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    Fished the full moon friday and saturday night, may 8th and 9th.
    Had two amazing nights. Friday night we caught about 15 fish.
    Four were 20+ lbs. Biggest blue was 30lbs and biggest flat was 25. Fish bit all night. Sat night was the true full moon blues were biting early but flats would do nothing until the moon was over the trees. Caught two really nice flats that night one was weighed at 35 and the other was slightly bigger but didnt weight it. I found some slack water and anchored. Fished the edge of the current and in the current with cut bream for blues and the eddies with live bream and live eel for flats. Heres pics from fri. night. Wish i could post pics from sat. .... two really nice flats.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, we both boated triple crowns. All three cats in one night!!!
    I've always wanted to do that!
    Here's the channell's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    welcome to the boc catfishwillee. the best catfishing site there is.
    thats some nice fish there. where do you fish?

19. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    went lastnight and fished a hole that my good friends crankbait and jaync put me on last year. thanks guys:wink:. we got setup about 15 mins before dark and hadnt been there long, when the reel went off. it was one i had a huge ell head on. i told tracy that this was gonna be a nice flat. boy was i surprised, the fish didnt fight hard at all but when he came to the top it was on, i think there was more water slashed in the boat thatn there was in the river. thanks to my darlin tracy being there with me we got the monster in the boat, and beleave me it took us both. it was my new p.b blue tipping the scales at 45 lb. pics below.

Attached Files:

20. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    Those fish were from seven springs. Downstream from the ramp.
    I'm from Greenville but I usually fish there and goldsboro cuz my friend's family lives there. I'd like to try around kinston and grifton too.