Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fishing the Neuse today and the current was insane. I had 2oz weights on it and a nice chunk of chicken liver and I was still getting pushed into the bank. I didn't want to put more weight on it seemed that anymore would be too much. Any suggestions on how to overcome the current?

· Registered
10 Posts
me personally always fish 6oz in the neuse with the river the way it is right now after all the rain and it super swift move up to 8 or 10 and dont use egg sinkers use no rolls or pyramid.....egg sinker will roll along the bottom and will take your bait to the bank but thats not always a bad thing it could drift into a rock pile or log that might be holding a good fish!!

· Registered
10 Posts
not a problem..we have all had our share of that happening...just by trial an error i have found if using a good size piece of bait you need to have a good size weight to go with it...technically what you would like to have is a Carolina rig setup where your weight wont move around alot from the water movement and your bait will actually be taken by the current and kind of hold in one place that will save ya from bringing back in a twisted up line and rig

· Registered
10 Posts
nah not really 16ft blazer with a 50 horse johnson....just have to be carfule navigating but usually when i go in the boat i got from smithfield at the lil brown jug boat ramp and go back towards i-95 thats a pretty rough little area...far as bank fishing i goto either raliegh beach and walk the bank to a few spots or goto ferry bridge and follow the trail under the bridge and go down to the point where the creek comes in on the outside of the river bend have been my best luck but i have pulled some nice ones out back toward mill creek from the ferry bridge ramp at the "island"

· Registered
359 Posts
I have not fished the neuse river but jus a handful of times but have had decent luck at ferry bridge road heading up river around the first split. I guess that is the "island"??? But I was just wondering what would be considered a BIG fish for this area. We have caught several blues between 10 and 15lbs.

Anybody do much better around ferry bridge rd?

· Banned
8,592 Posts
There are alot bigger fish then that but that stretch of river gets alot of pressure.
I fish the Neuse from Raleigh to Smithfield. Never see a limb line and rarely see anyone else fishing for cats.
If we don't pull a 30+ pound flathead out it was a bum trip.
We use one man pack canoes to get to sandbars we fish from. We also hike into spots and wade in.
That stretch of river is virtually unfished BECAUSE you can't run boats up there. You got to paddle a canoe or yak. A 10 foot jon boat is too much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.