Network neutrality

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    a friend of mine brought this to my attention a few months ago. he is involved in communication here in oklahoma. i have heard a few viewpoints, and it seems there is a rift growing about it. anyone here heard about it? anyone have any input on it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_neutrality

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yes, I have often thought of the very same thing, LMAO!!! Ya, Right, LOL!!!

PHIL!!!! Get out of the house and
    GO FISHING, LOL!!!

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

you old fart! i didn't expect you to know anything about it! and i am going fishing soon...sooooon.....sssoooooonnn.........:lol:

4. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i know this answer !!! its its its shoot dang dern its on the tip of my tounge:lol:

sorry phil this one went over my head .....but i agree go fishing:smile2:

5. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Phil, I think I was fishing the day they covered this at school. You pick a side and I will side with you.:embarassed:

st

6. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    That made my chair rumble and the leather dont smell right.:big_smile:

7. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Phil it boils down to this big companys like Cox cable and ATT which are both monoply's. Trying to charge other big companys like e-bay google and other internet giants for use of there pipe lines and charge them for bandwidth.

IMO would hurt the growth of small internet bussiness and cripple our country's number one export intellectal property.

It would trickle down to the consumers like you and me not some much in money but in speed of the access you would be able to connect to a site.

Bottom line greedy Service providers Ie. Sprint, ATT, Cox, Comcast

I have wrote all are congressmen on this topic and called 1

8. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Phil... what did you say...

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I understood totally incompletely, like usual.

10. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Meanwhile, back at the farm....lol.

Phil, it's past time you get out of the house brother...

11. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Yeah... uh huh... what he said, LOL.

12. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Phil, ill be praying for ya brother. Just rest and take your medicine, and maybe you should consider staying out of the high intensity area for a while.:roll_eyes: :big_smile:

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :confused2: Man Phil I have not a clue as to what you are talking about.Guess I must be aDumb ol hillbillie. Guess well all just have to go fishin and not worrya bout it.

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    In other words the government wants to stop the service providers from giving the big buck corporations from giving a better faster more technologically advanced internet service than the "freeloading" general public, or putting a so called collar, or monetary figure on the information highway.

As always, I am "liberally" for keeping the playing field level. Here on the highway itself you can see giant websites like those of GM, Lexus, or Ford, as well as little free or minimally priced hoseted sites like those of Phillip Gaines. I believe there should be some sort of legislation to serve the greater good of the people.

That said, I am sure the US Federal Government will screw it up and there will be a rider attached to any bill that gives Tennessee a bridge to no where. ( I picked Tennesse because Al Gore is the only politician I know of from there and everybody knows... he invented the internet :wink: )

15. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Phil,

I think I have a better understanding of you now because

This time I dont know what the heck YOU are talking about. :roll_eyes: The tables are turned. ROTFL

Did the basket weaving class get cancelled or something? What gives? :tounge_out: :confused2:

16. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't like to see you slobber..:lol:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Little things come in small packages.

17. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    If Sal don't know what your talking about with him being our educated Brother, how the heck is the rest of us supposed to know, LOL.

18. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    HUH? You really need to go fishing!
    Bill

19. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    In a nutshell, AT&T and Verizon are lobbying congress to pass laws that allows them to charge for certain kind of data or access to "busy" websites or highbandwidth type of applications (Voice over IP)...For example, you get up in the morning, decide to check out the BOC for new posts.. You try pulling it up, but its sloooooowwww.. Well verizon deemed the BOC uses lots of bandwidth and now you must pay them $xxx.xxx a month to get your traffic across their network at a good speed. You don't pay (or your provider or the BOC, etc.. no matter what it WILL get passed onto us) your traffic gets in line and and waits to get sent AFTER the high priority traffic that has paid...

How would you like to see line items on your cable bill?

www.google.com....................$1.45
    www.yahoo.com.....................$1.19
    www.microsoft.com.................$3.16

^^^ Thats a simplified scenerio.. I think they scared to death of Voice over IP (Internet telephones) and are looking for way to make $$ off it.

By charging for certain types of traffic or access to certain sites, etc. it would make it very hard for new businesses to startup and compete, restrict new innovations, and give Large corporations an upper hand on the net imho....

20. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    OOOOOHHHHH.... Now I get it!

Simplified: Yes, that sucks.

Great post phil! Phantastic of you, subnetzero, to clariphy it phor me.

now that I have it phigured out, I think we'd be getting royally... uh... phorget it.

:smile2:

sal

Phil, I'd rep you but it appears that I liked you for something else recently. sorry dude.