Nettles.... The horrible horrible evil plants

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by sal_jr, Aug 17, 2006.

1. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Ok, so I got into a lil mess of em in the woods in Cadillac while tying my mother in law into some cats... And yes she got her first michigan catfish in the process, so did my father in law, and my wife. I also landed my first ALBINO channel.

BUT THAT IS NOT THE POINT.

As of this morning, I have a rash up one arm past the elbow, one leg from shin to mid-thigh, and the other leg from knee to ankle.

How do I get rid of the nettle telltale rash?

I have taken benadryl, have slathered cortizone cream on it, aloe, vitamin E oil, Gardener's Remedy from Crabtree and Evelyn, Black Salve, and first aid gel... (not all at once)

NOTHING IS WORKING!

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLP!

:crazy:

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Alcohol-both internally and externally!!

3. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Hey cook that is how my grandmother cures every thing LOL

4. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Cook,

I had a Vodka Collins or 3 last night. I dont remember much, but I do remember still itching.

Maybe tonight Ill dip my elbow in the tumbler.

ROTFL.

scratched, not stirred.:roll_eyes:

5. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Sal jewelweed will stop the rash and burning

6. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I've heard Gold Bond Medicated cream works fairly well. You may not care but you can eat nettles. If you crush the leaves up very well you can add it to salads and other stuff. You can boil it also and add it for flavoring. Just goes to show you what watching cooking shows on Iowa Public TV can do for you. Crushing the leaves extracts a neutralizing substance that cancels out the bad stuff. I wouldn't do it but I guess it can be done. What? Now you say you have a rash on your brain from reading this.... OK, I'm done. lol

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    recent scientific studies from university of california - berkeley have shown that converting to conservative has a profound healing effect on just that type of malady, Sal

:lol: :lol: :lol:

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man I could sleep in a bed of nettles and never get a rash, they do burn, but I never get a rash.

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mark (Salmonid) told me about a remedy once for nettles, i tried it and it works! only thing is you have to do it right after you get stung by the plant. go along the river/lake near where you got stung, grab a handful of soft mud, and smear it all over the area that stings. let it set for a few minutes and wash it off. apparently the mud draws out the little stingers.

10. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Sounds to me like you're tried almost every known remedy and no help. I feel for you I used to get into those all the time on the creek banks in Kentucky where I was raised but I don't remember getting a rash from it just a terrible burning which went away in a few hours. Maybe you need some professional help.

11. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yes, the mud remedy works if applied right away. Funny thing is that jumping in the lake won't! Water just makes the burning worse.

I would stick to the hydrocortisone cream treatment, although the Gold Bond powder mentioned might work well, too.

12. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    According to one of Tammy's books, Aloe Vera can be used topically to soothe the rash. Also a few tablespoons of baking soda can be added to your bath water to relieve itching. A cupful of vinegar added to bath water can help too, it restores healthy balance of the skin.

****personal note from Tammy...alcohol taken internally will actually exacerbate the "itch factor" of the skins external reaction to nettle exposure...hence....it wont help soothe anything...but you can be the judge of that!

13. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Brother in law that grew up in northern Missouri said they called them "smart weeds". When I got into some and itching like crazy I told him I wasn't going to that spot down at the creek. He said, "See your getting smarter already". Do remember it itching like crazy. Think I stuck on masking tape and pulled it off. That hurt but eased the itching.

14. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Man Sal I hate these things, remember growing up working on a farm and having to cut em down. I feel the little stings now.......

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The best cure is to rub the stung area on the belly of the nettle that way the nettle slime will stop the sting.:tounge_out: :wink: :big_smile: :eek:oooh: Or is that for catfish stings.:lol: Sorry I dont know any surefire cure.I do know D'Anjous meat tenderizer works great on jellyfish stings but I never tried it on Nettles.

16. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    HELP GIVE THIS MAN A BEER!!!!!!!! lol try taking rubbing alcohol, peroxide, calamine lotion and some internal alcohol!

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Did a little research for you and it seems that the ingredient on the stingers is formic acid which is the same thing ants get you with.One home remedy is the juice from a cut nettle stem,another is baking soda paste,another is urine.Anything akaline it seems.Ammonia was recommended immediately after the sting but I don't know how it would work inyour case.:smile2: I guess if you drink lots of beer then pee on the area it would either cure the problem or you wont care!!!!.:big_smile:

18. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I think this may be your best answer. I think it fits in several ways.:big_smile:

ST

19. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I'm the same way, it burns like crazy for a while (hence the name fire weed), but I don't recall ever having a rash.:eek:oooh: