netting shad

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by bigheck, May 5, 2009.

1. bigheck

bigheck New Member

State:
    kansas
    Okay guys, do you guys search for busting shad or just throw and hope for the best? I got my first net and I've been practicing and now I'm ready for some live bait. Any input would help.

Thanks
    Erik

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    If you are in a boat you can usually find them on the finder.
    If you are throwin from the bank look for any signs of them, like flippin at the surface. Sometimes you will see a big blob in the water movin around. Thats a thick school of em.
    Marinas are usually a hot spot, especially in the evenin and early mornins.
    The algae from the docks is constantly being stirred up and they love it in there.:wink::smile2:

3. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I agree with what Kyle said! Also try weedlines, anywhere there is algae. Boat ramps can be productive aswell. Feeder creeks and areas that warm faster. You can also look for birds getting shad but without a boat that is pretty difficult. Be careful before you blindly throw your net, obviously don't throw it where you see a bunch of sticks or big rocks. Well unless you want to buy another net. :smile2:

Sometimes you can pull the net back out of a snag without ripping it too bad. The strings can break when you pull your net out of snags. Just run the strings back through the plastic rings and count between the weights to determine where the string goes then retie it. If you rip the net you can use zip ties, or duct tape to fix it. Actually works pretty good. And if your like me you'll get tired of buying a new net.

4. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Another thing that I look for is birds. This is not a great sign of shad but a good sign of some type of bait. I also rember locations so far this has worked for me if you get some in one place more than likely you can go back and get them there again.

5. bigheck

bigheck New Member

State:
    kansas
    Duct tape works for me. Thanks for the advise guys:smile2:

6. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Just make sure you put the duct tape on both sides or the water kinda ruins it. :smile2:

7. bigheck

bigheck New Member

State:
    kansas
    We should start a duct tape thread to see how many of us catfishermen use duct tape to docter up our equipment. I bet there is alot of stories:smile2::smile2:

8. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    I've always considered duct tape a great way to enforce timeouts on
    unruly or direspectful small folks. Makes them take their naps, too. One
    should always use restraint in correcting young ones, lest they be
    harmed in some way. That about wraps up this post.

9. bigheck

bigheck New Member

State:
    kansas
    WOW, maybe we shouldn't start a thread:smile2::smile2::smile2:

10. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I was at KAW last winter and made an incredible observation, at least to me....but heck, I am easily astonished!

I noticed the eagles in the trees along the bluffs where I was looking for shad, and started to pay attention. Sure enough, if I threw the net directly in front of the perch of where each eagle was setting, 9 times out of 10 there were shad in the net. I would throw the net in the same depth water, along the same line or distance from the bank, without an eagle anywhere near....nothing.......not one time.

These shad were about 19 feet deep, so not sure how the eagles knew they were there, but it happened enough times it couldn't have been just dumb luck.:eek:oooh:

Gulls are a dead giveaway too, they go into a frenzy anywhere shad are close to the surface.

11. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Mike brother, we need to talk. Im starting to worry about you. :confused2:

12. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    And when you get real good you can just follow your nose!!:big_smile::eek:oooh::roll_eyes:

13. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    This is a great thread, very helpful. I've wanted to really learn how to find shad for some time now. I think most of the time being able to find and net shad is 80% of having a great day fishing. Any day is a great day if you're fishing, but you know what I mean... a GREAT day of fishing:big_smile:. We can all find the catfish fairly well, thats what we are best at... its finding that fresh bait that is difficult.

Keep the tips coming, its very interesting to me. Where else do you look? Someone said they seem to ball up more in the mornings and evenings. Is this true for most of the year or just the summer time? What conditions makes them want to be on the banks (or is it just wind/predator fish pushing them up there), when do they want deeper water?

14. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    They move shallow to spawn, and to feed on all of the food they have available.
    Colder weather does drive them deep, as does a major front during warmer weather.
    Wind has a lot to do with where they are at. I always do best in the slack water areas, like back in coves or creek mouths.
    Around here its alot easier to get them in the lakes than it is to get them outta the rivers.
    Go to your favorite lake just before sunrise and hit the marina/boat dock hard. They will be there.:wink:
    They also respond to lights after dark. Another reason why docks/marinas are a good bet. A bright spotlight works too.

15. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I like the marina idea. I can see how they would be in there... blue gill are always in there and easy to catch too. I'm headed up to John Redmond in mid May with some friends and our plan is to hit the lake hard for shad then head north and fish the river. Last year we were able to catch shad off one of the ramps. We'll hit that up I'm sure. And there were lots of gulls around that big mud flat along the embankment, not sure if it was cause of shad though. Lots of carp in that area, maybe we'll net some carp there at least. Best I can tell, there isn't a marina on that lake though. I remember we tried finding one last year so we could catch bluegill. Ended up having to go into that town next door and pay to use their pond.

16. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm curious about you guys that cast your nets around marinas. You ever run into trouble with people running you off? If you approach the marina from your boat, and you stay out of peoples way do they get upset? I would think if you're walking around on the docks and casting off it they probably would run you off, I've been to some that they don't even like you fishing off of unless you own/rent a slip there.

17. cat lineman

cat lineman New Member

State:
    kansas
    We get them out of the irragation canaul back home works good also watch the pelacuns sure thats not spelled right but you get the drift :confused2:

18. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Just go to the public ramps with a courtesy dock, they are usually there too.
    I have never had any problems at a marina. For fresh shad its worth it though.lol

19. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    The MOST important thing to remember when throwing for shad it this:

TAKE THE LOOP AT THE END OF THE ROPE, PULL A SHORT PIECE OF THE LINE THROUGH IT, AND PUT IT AROUND YOUR WRIST!!!:wink::eek:oooh:

I can't tell you how many nets I have at the bottom of area lakes, all because I got in a hurry and forgot to loop the rope around my wrist. Nothing more helpless than standing at the front of the boat and watching that last few feet of line sink while you scramble to reach it!:sad2:

20. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Good advice Jeff.:smile2:
    If you are on a river thats movin pretty good its a good practice to tie the rope off to a cleat.