Netted my first shad(s)(?)!

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by kyredneck, May 31, 2009.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm new to cast netting and I can kick myself in the arse for taking so long to try it because i've been having an absolute blast with it since I've learned to throw it.

Ponds; nothing to them. Given enough time, I believe I could clean a pond out by going there early every morning and casting the shoreline; I mean I have been catching some nice size fish! Largemouths, sunfish of all kinds & sizes, snapping turtles, even suckers (guess someone put them there). FYI, I'm releasing everything except for some bait I gave to an ol' timer river rat buddy to bait his trotline (I'm not catfishing, I'm learning how to net fish, anyway, the flatheads haven't turned on here yet, and I have fish in the freezer).

River: the threadfin shad have proven to be about as elusive as anything I've ever hunted, but I finally caught four of them, in three casts, the other morning. I was proud like I'd killed my first deer. They died in about 5 min and i gave them to some one else to fish with (surprised me, they'd heard even dead shad were good channel cat bait!).

I haven't gone up to the dam in the pursuit of shad yet, but it's on the agenda. I've had a couple folks tell me that there are others that net the shad there. The river, as far as I'm concerned, has NOT been 'normal' yet this year. It seems every fish specie's schedule is out of sinc so far on account of the flooding from these cold rains. Water temp here three days ago was 65F. It orta be >70F by now.

Anyway, I just wanna let it be known, I HAVE netted me some shad. lol.

2. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I went to usen a cast net cause I can get bait any time and they pay for themselves. You after shad in high water they are hard to find. Try feeder creeks and ditches for em and any where a field has flooded and has a small opening into it. Try both sides of the opening. After a lil time you will get the spots down. Also you can ambush carp and suckers with a cast net in creeks and that is funn. I word of caution around dams a big carp can trash a net fast lol. Last but not least if you have shallow creeks with good bottms you can use the cast net to get crawfish. If you can find one with 1/4 mesh they work great for getting minners in creeks and rivers to fish with and save ya a lot of money in minners alone.

3. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks Troy. It's funny you should mention carp & suckers; I often see 'herds' of buffalo suckers suspended in and around stick ups during the summer and I was thinkin to try my hand at getting close enough to net some of them if the chance arose. I bet it would be fun, and probably a good way to tear a net up, which I did by snagging on the bottom the other day.

Went to WalMart and bought a 5 ft net for 30$ to replace the 4 ft one I destroyed. That's a wee bit expensive, imo. I now have a 3 1/2 and a 5 footer and intend to try to get the most out of them. Not going to let it go to the bottom if I can help it.

4. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You can repair em with 20 lb mono and retie the brails when ya break em. I have some nets I have fixed to the point they all patch work lol. If you get a big rip in one just thread the mono in put in a over hand knot thread again ovehand knot ect. After time you ge to where ya can mend one fast. I got 2 nets I rebrailed ( the lines that close the net). I used 90 lb snaggen braid took a lil work but the nets work better now. I use mono and nylon nets I perfer the nylon ones they are tougher. And if you get a net trashed to the point of no return cut the lead weights free they are perfect limbline weights. Or you can use a small bass weight, short chunk of trotline cord and make large slinky weights for fishen

5. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    glad u got the hang of it larry, what size u throwin now? five footer?

6. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've got a 3.5 and a 5 footer.

Limbline weitghts, ZACTLY what i wuz thinkin. I trashed the 4 footer beyond repair.