Nets on Tennessee rivers

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by cumberlandcat, Mar 2, 2007.

1. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Can somebody tell what this guy was doing. I was fishing in dover the other day and a boat pulled up and started dropping nets about 100 feet long he must have dropped 10 or that all that I saw him drop I asked him what he was up to and he just blew me off, Just an A$$. Anyways is what he was doing legal. If it is This is pissing me off. I am sitting there all day on the river not catching a darn things and I got a guy that can lay over a thousand feet of nets up and down each side of the river restricting anything from getting through. If someone could fill me in on this.

2. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i talked to a guy once who was doing the same thing he told me he was using gill nets to catch carp i am not for sure if it is the same nets you are talking about but a quick search will find the nets and then you could find out if legal in your area if it is illegal i would not approach the guy but let someone else know and not get to dirrectly involved because if the guy won't will fish illegaly you don't know what he would do to get back at someone who got him in trouble with the law

3. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I dont know man, I would like to think that it is illegal. I would probably call the fish and game on him anyhow just in case. Who knows how many hundreds of fish he is taking out all at once.

4. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I read it and I think it is a bunch of crap. What do we have to do to change this?

6. Puddycat

Puddycat New Member

State:
    Clarksville,TN
    I agree Chris. It is indeed crap. I don't feel that the TWRA samples fish populations frequently or accurately enough. If you talk to local guides and fisherman that have fished the Cumberland river for years they will tell you that it is nowhere near what it used to be. I believe that its mainly due to commercial fishing. Without frequent and accurate data from the TWRA and fish biologists, the powers that be will not even consider changing anything. Here is something to consider: The amount of sportfishermen far outnumber the commercial fishermen. If you make uncomfortable enough for them, they will not come back and fish that area. I am not suggesting doing anything illegal, but there is an old saying that appilies here. When you want to get something done right, you have to do it yourself. JMHO Maybe I'll see you on the river sometime.

7. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    there is a lot more going on than we know. I bet there are some big cats still leaving the area!!!

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well after reading all of that it will not be something that I go along with. If they are not tagged properly the game and fish will be getting a call and I will drive them to the nets if I have to. I just don't understand how this can be legal. Maybe if it was just one net per man but this guy had it set up so there wasn't a fish that was going to make it thru 10 nets in a half mile both sides. I don't know, but something is gonna change about this. I wish everyone in Tn BOC would get together and start a riot. Cause if the biguns are slim now what about my kids and everyone elses kids. There is a a lot of us and I think if done right we could all accomplish something here. We all spend hours on the river everytime we get a chance it is what we love and we can't let this crap continue. I think even in a ten year span we could see a huge difference in the population.

9. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I feel the same way. My favorite hole on the Tennessee river is covered up with these nets now. It seems the fishing sure was better before the nets showed up. I wonder if TWRA would release the imfo on the number of fish that are harvested since they have the info and are gov funded.