Nets for baitfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by TeamWhiskers, Jun 27, 2007.

1. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What type and size nets do we all use around here?

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    8 or 9 ft radius, 5/8" mesh, 3/4 lb lead per radius ft.

3. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I have a 6 foot radius cast net from bass pro.

4. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I throw a 10 ft net...it works great when i can find the bait fish! They seem to be scattered right now!

5. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    hey tw im still a beginer, so i use a 3.5 radius. i think its the smallest one.
    I got pretty good with that one because its easy to cast

6. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    I have a 6' that i got at wally world

7. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Either a 6' with 3/8" mesh or 4' with 1/4" mesh depending on what I'm after.

8. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    I use a 5' radius with 3/8" mesh and 1 pound of lead per radius foot with a 26 foot throwline. The Fish Net Company down in Louisianna is who I go thru, they’re at …. www.fishnetco.com
    Just recently found out that the Illinois folks are limited to a maximum of a 4’ radius.

9. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    I think mines a 7 or 8' radius. I sure prefer the mono net over the nylon however. The mono is a bit bulkier and heavier but it sure stands up to any snags much better than the nylon does.

10. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Guy over at WS tried to tell me Sun that MO had a 5' restriction on cast nets so I e-mailed MDC. They told me that net size was self-limiting:smile2: I guess if you can throw it, it's legal in MO! I wonder what spidey throws? :spiderman:

11. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Beleive it or not I use an umbrella net.Drop it from a small bridge,break off small peices of bread,and pull. Blugills,chubs,minnows you name it.2 or 3 drops enough bait for a couple of trips.:haha:

12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Nice! Philly, I've seen those but didn't know if they'd work or not. May have to invest, that 8' cast net gets hard on the shoulder after awhile. Thanks for the tip!

Branden

13. PhillyCatcatcher4

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Bought it at K- mart a couple years ago,but I seen it in Cabelas & Bass Pro catalogs.

14. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ive got a 10 foot dia net.. It takes some pratice to throw.. im getting better :cool2:but as said below i keep having problems finding them bait fish:eek:oooh:?

15. PhillyCatcatcher4

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Try an Umbrella net. Easy & convenient.:0a23:

16. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i use a 5 foot 3/4 pound per sq. foot, not sure of the mesh size ill have to look at that, but i extened the line on my to 50 feet so i can throw it over a small bridge near marom without any problems.

17. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Well it's summer time so 1 inch mesh 8ft net with 1 pound of lead per foot. Two new nets ordered and on the way. If i could find a net for under 100 with 1.5 pounds per foot and 8 foot with 1 inch mesh I might get one. I'll keep looking though.

18. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Josh, I'll sell you my never-been-in-the-water 12 ft 5/8" mesh 1.5 lbs per foot net... Send me a PM if you want it.

I'm not man enough to throw it and found out I don't need that much weight except in the winter when they're down deep. 1/2 to 3/4 lb per ft is plenty when they're in less than 10 ft of water...