Net regs again

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Fokromix, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Fokromix

Fokromix New Member

State:
    VA
    OK...

-I'll need a 2010 rec gill net license(available online through VDGIF still for $9? but do I have to wait till Jan 1st to order?)
    -From Jan 1 to March 25 can't fish net with stretched mesh between 3 3/4" and 6"(so not my regular net)
    - I should report my 2009 total harvest/catch on some form from the VMRC...which I can never locate
    -I should stop using dynamite when bait is tough...

Remind me... what am I missing?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  2. Leftenant

Leftenant New Member

State:
    NC
    I think your license is good for 1 year from date of purchase but I could be wrong. I also believe with a recreational license that you don't have to report your catch.

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    License is for calender year jan. 1-dec 31.

4. mikesxpress

mikesxpress New Member

State:
    Virginia
    If you purchase both your normal fishing license and the gill net license on-line from VA DGIF, then they are good for 1 year from the date of purchase as they print out on the same license you put in your wallet. The expire date prints out on the license. Same for the saltwater license add on.

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Mike,,are you sure about that date.
    I went online last week to get mine and the description was recreational Gill Net 2009 expires on Dec 31 2009. Since that license fee goes to VMRS and not the game commission ,I thought it was for this year and not next. I did not complete the purchase as I didn't want to get stuck for $9. When I got a replacement gill net license last summer as mine had gotten wet and barely legible, the Broad Street headquarters gave me replacements for all my licenses. Gill Net date set to expire with the calender year even though I had bought it last year in Febuary.

I always buy my hunting licenses and fishing licenses in August. Fishing licenses expire next year date of purchase this year but hunting licenses expire last day of June.

Not trying to be argumentative,,just want to make sure no one pays $9 for a license that will only be good for a few days.

6. mikesxpress

mikesxpress New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I again purchased mine thru Virginia Marine Resources Commission (VMRC) and on their website it says "All licenses are valid for a calendar year and expire December 31 in the year issued." I did the purchase prior to knowing that VA was offering it on-line. So I would believe you are correct! It's great that VDGIF is offering them for sale with your fishing license purchase on-line, but for some it might be worthless? For me it will work OK as my fishing licenses expire 12/23.