Net license

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by freshbaitrules, Jan 28, 2009.

1. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Where do you get the forms for a gill net license in Richmond?

Can you get it online?

I know the information is on the forum but what size net do most of you guys use?

50 foot looks managable, what size opening?

Myself and two others are thinking of ordering one in the next few weeks so this information will be very helpful.

2. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Jeff
    Dances has the permits,
    Or you can send a photo copy of ya drivers license,with ht.wt. SS# what the copy is for ie. 2009 rec.gill net permit and a check for $9.00
    mail it:
    VMRC
    30 Jefferson Ave.
    Newport News, VA 23607 to

mine net is a 50' X 6' 2x4 inch mesh from the
    www.fishnetco.com
    http://www.osnets.webs.com/
    The next link is for a guy in king george va.
    I think he has a really good net,so guys on another board have them..
    mikeb

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Law says no opening bigger than 3.75 inch stretch during the Spring so mine is 3.75 inch openings. I always knew Mike was an outlaw.:smile2:

50 foot should be fine , I prefer a 100 footer. Less soak time to catch the 8-10 cutters I am looking for.

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I am old fashioned and maybe it doesn't make enough difference as a hill of beans but I like floats on the top line and lead weights on the bottom line. My net is 6 feet deep. Today I set my net in 9-14 feet of water. I use window weights probably 7 pounds apiece for my anchor weights and crab pot bouys for my floatation. I can set the net as deep as I have rope on the crab pot bouys. The bouys stay above water. I set the net last fall in the Rap at Waterview and caught a mess of delicious spot., These nets ain't just for bait gathering. Buy a good net. Cheap nets are junk and fall apart and get holes in them quickly. Expect to pay $130 or more for a good quality 100 foot net.

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I recommend OS Nets, it's who I got mine through. They have the floats along the top. He can do a variety of mesh sizes and depth hangs. I got 3.75" stretched mesh, with an 8' hang, 100' long. His name is Oran Shea and is a fellow catfisherman like us, so show him some support if you can.

6. Nomdic1

Nomdic1 New Member

State:
    virginia
    I agree on getting the net from Oran. I got one from him on an auction, and can attest that he builds a quality product. in fact it will be getting wet on Sat. if the weather holds.