Net 'em or lip 'em?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by RonSki, Jul 8, 2009.

1. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm just curious how everyone else is landing their fish. I've got a small boat and a HUGE muskie net so I don't want to take it if I don't really need to. I took it last year but decided I'd just try to lip 'em this year. Haven't caught enough (or any big enough) to know if leaving the net at home is gonna cost me or not. What do you guys do? And if you lip them, do you ever lose any that you would have gotten if you had a net??

2. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I always use a net if posible , for the simple facts that it gives you 4-6ft more reach and once its in the net its coming in the boat . The only time I wouldn't use the net is if I had a monster that wouldn't fit . :wink::smile2:

3. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i like to net fish but of course if you have two pole that have fish on then of course you may lip the other fish

4. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We just reach over the side of the boat and yank em in.:wink:

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I much prefer to lip the fish. Yes, it is hard on the back of your hand and your fingers, but think how hard it is on a fish to be netted and have your protective slime coating scraped off, or a hole in your mouth from a gaff. It don't bother me if a big one gets off because I think in the great scheme of things, some are supposed to get away. I will CPR 96 ti 97% if what I catch anyhow. And, I still have the excitement and knowledge that I could have put all of them in a frying pan, but chose not to.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to grab them, but as I get older I net the bigger fish!

7. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    I was in the same scenario a year ago.Thought I dont need my MEGA net cause I havent caught any big ones from the hole I was fishing,and takes up alot of space in the boat .Well thats the night it happend,66lbs.No net,had to hand line it in for the last couple feet in the heavy current then put the death grip on its lower jaw bone.Man it was sketchy.That was the last trip I dident bring the extra large landing net.

8. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    If I'm fishing on my pontoon I use a net on all but the ones I'm going to release. If I'm in a regular boat I lip all of them. I agree with Awshucks, if it gets off the fish wins.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Yall must have them secretary hands or something.
    yall act like its a bluefish or barracuda.:smile2:

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i say net if you got a big net, for flathead i lip em, not at a spillway

11. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I used to hand grab all of them but now I use a net most of the time on the large ones because the net has saved some fish for me that I would have lost. But, if I think there going to get off I dont waste anytime grabbing them with the hands.

12. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I used to just grab them, but I started fishing some areas that has a nasty bank that is just a straight down drop from the edge of the bank so I got an extendable net for those hard to reach fish.

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I usually use my net,except for when I,m on a real flat shoreline.Seems like the nights I leave the net in the van,the big ones always hit.Maybe it,s putting the skunk on me!:wink:

14. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    when bank fishin i just grab them, i don't want to carry any more than i have too, and when in the boat i keep wanting to bring the net but usually forget:eek:oooh:

15. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That's funny :big_smile: I don't lip my muskies either, but flatheads I sorta like the fact that I can just grab them. I don't plan on getting any really big ones either, the biggest I can hope for up here would be 50 pounds. If I go somewhere where there's potential for bigger ones, I think I'll take the net. Thanks everyone....

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I view lipping them as part of catching. I fish for big fish for the battle.
    I don't look for ways to cheat myself out of part of the battle.
    I win some and I lose some. It's what keeps me coming back for more.

One man's view.

17. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I fish for muskies for most of the year for the same reasons so I know exactly what you mean. I lose more muskies than I do cats though...

18. Lignum

Lignum New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I net whenever possible. I kind of view it as I want to touch the fish the least that I have to. If he isn't beaten up too bad, he'll live to see another battle.

19. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I put on a glove and grab cats by the lower jaw when they get to boatside. Usually it is no problem, but I have lost a couple of big ones that broke a knot (was having some trouble with hooks with sharp spots in the eye for a while) while I was trying to get them under control so I could grab them.

I guess if I was fishing a tournament, I might bring the big net so I wouldn't chance losing a big fish, but since I cpr everything anyway, all I lose is a photo.

20. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    On the bank I pretty much always lip them, from the boat it all depends on how big they are, if they are too big to pull over the side I net them. .