Net And Stringer

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by HARVRAD2003, Mar 9, 2006.

1. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I fish from the bank 100% of the time for the present time anyway, my question is what is a good net to bring in good size catfish in from the water. My biggest cat so far has only been 8 lb. but I'd like something that could hold maybe 20-30 lb. if that's possible. Also what do you all keep your cats in when you catch them, I thought about using a tote container (large) that would be big enough for a few big cats. I have used some metal stringers bought from walmart, but it got torn up last year, any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I have a medium sized net that is rated for up to 30lb's(got it at Farmking in Galesburg IL) I also used a nylon stringer that I made. I used yellow nylon that was 100lb strength. I braided the line into it's self to make the end, and burnt down the other end so it would not fray. I then wrapped 20lb nylon on the end and the area I braided into it's self to keep the line from coming back out as a saftey measure. It worked great untill I left it at the lake one night by accident. Now I have a braided rope stringer that is 15' in length, and have no problems with it.

Ray

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I only use a net if I am fishing a area from the bank that is steep or rocky..I have never used a stringer, I just catch them and let them go....Catfish connection has some nice landing nets for sale.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I also CPR most of the time, unless I am getting eaters. Then the channls stay on a stringer until I head home.

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    to keep eating cats and or other fish, we use rubber maid "totes"

We have one that is round and has rope handles that works great for small "keepers"

6. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i dont use a net from the shore if they get away i did something wrong . i will give you a word of caution on stringers . never trust the metal loop they crimp on the end of stringers . i like to use the cheap 3/8 inch nylon rope stringers from wally world but the crimp on rings will fail. you havent lived till you pull your stinger full of fish in and find they are gone because the ring failed.

7. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i use the wally world stringers but the first thing i do when i buy one is take the ring off and replace it with a key ring.

8. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    I know it sounds like a lot of trouble, but we always carry a cooler with at least one bag of ice in it for the fish we intended to keep, if I'm going to kill the fish I don't put them on a stringer and stress them more than they already are (bad taste). There are some good "soft" cooler bags available that makes transporting easier. Dip nets? Cat Fish Connection has some good ones. Size??? How big a cat do you "intended" to catch??????

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    If you use the soft bag,( clip the fins.)I didn;t.I ended up with a holy bag.I ruined a second one with scalefish fins.As for what I "intend to catch".I allways intend to catch far more and far larger fish than I ever seem to catch.Does this EVER happen to any of you?peewee-williams

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL

LOL!!! Almost every time for me :p

11. willm

willm New Member

State:
    Texas
    I usually carry a coleman cooler and if I catch any I will get some ice to put in it, other wise it makes carrying everything from the car to the bank easyer, especially the coolers with the wheels.

12. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Got one of those totes that has wheels in the back of my pickup, never thought about using it for that, it's pretty large and I'm sure it'd be able to hold a mess of cats, THANKS.

13. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    in the daytime, sometimes i use a wire fish basket inside a toesack for the smaller fish. most of the time i just put the fish in the ice chest. used ta use stringers, but have had too many fish lost to snakes.

14. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    We've always carried a couple of 5 gallon buckets and a cooler. Makes them a lot easier to carry.

15. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I like coolers with ice for a few keepers, but I often just throw a mesh laundry bag in my tackle bag for an occasional keeper. The bag is easy to carry and a fish in the mesh bag seems to lay there in the water very calmly with little thrashing. Try it, you'll like it! Hannibal Mike

16. rasimmons

rasimmons Guest

if i am close to the my truck the cooler method works best for me but if i am a little ways away from my truck i use stringer or a big bag not to sure what the bag is really for

17. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I am also one of those catmen who need their head examined. Hundreds of dollars each year all in the name of fishing, and I don't eat fish. If I can't find someone to give the small ones to, they get to go back home. If it is a fish over 7 or 8 lbs, I let the people admire it before I accidently drop it back into the water. You ought to see their faces.... gosh, I have a mean streak.