Nesting

Discussion in 'LOCAL WEST VIRGINIA TALK' started by wvcatfishhunter, Jun 3, 2008.

1. wvcatfishhunter

wvcatfishhunter New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    So does anyone else think the cat's are nesting now? the water has to have hit the magical 60 degree mark.

2. littlecat

littlecat New Member

State:
    west virginia
    i fish the coal and kanawha and we keep a few out of the coal to eat and the ones we keep have had some eggs in them but they wernt big enough to be nesting id say about the end of june.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Isn't it the magical 70* mark???? Not a smart alec question either, I was just thinking it was 70*. You may very well be right, just not 100% sure.:confused2:
    Early last month, the last time I was able to fish the Channels were full of eggs. Its been about long enough for them to mature and be on the nests. My Buddy Danny(Firechief4201) says the Flatties they've been catching don't seem to be yet but says it seems like their starting the pre-spawn feeding.

4. littlecat

littlecat New Member

State:
    west virginia
    thats what i think there in ther pre spawn feeding.

5. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    John your right.The spawn is coming thats why in the past 2 weeks the Flatheads have turned on crazy feeding up for spawn.I went from a single run all day and evening to getting 3 fish in 1 evening in a weeks time.I suspect the spawn will be on next weekend thru to around July 1 thats the usual time in my nick of the woods.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    From what I've heard thats what I believe the Flatties are doing.

Thanks for the info Jerry. I'm hoping like He!! that I'll be able to get back out fishing by at least August. Thats always been my best month here.:wink::big_smile:

7. wvcatfishhunter

wvcatfishhunter New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    seems to me they have slowed way way down on feeding in the lakes. Haven t been to the kanawha yet.

8. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Just got back from the kanawha and the channels have been on fire all day.

9. littlecat

littlecat New Member

State:
    west virginia
    watcha catchin them on????

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Most people I have talked to agree that the cats are going on the beds now and will be on and off for the next couple of weeks.

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Shane,
    When do you get to come back home? Hopefully we can meet up and wet a line together!!! Thank You for all you're doing!!!!!:wink::big_smile::cool2:

12. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Homemade doughball.

Peanut Butter Bread and Anise extract.