Nesting

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by catfishjo, Jun 17, 2007.

1. catfishjo

catfishjo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been seeing alot of Blues with injurys around there tails, do you think these are from nesting and fanning there eggs?

Attached Files:

2. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would have to say so. That looks like it was a pretty good sized fish. It is that time of the year for them to spawn.

3. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    This time of year it seems that most fish caught are pretty roughed up from battling for spawning spots and such....so it's a good bet that's all it is.

4. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    Injuries like that seem to be from a specific area e.g. Truman tail race. With all the rocks/concrete present in that area. I seem to find that a male spawn/postspawn cat will have more damage to their actual fins e.g. fanning. Sure that fish might be spawning or about to spawn but, you should see significant increases in open wounds on the lower half of a fish that has finished the spawning pattern. Remember, a male cat will be beat to hell and a female will look like a 15lber in a 20lbers body.

5. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    your a postin maniac tonight!!!!!

6. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew

Need more Gold coins...I think

7. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN

What ever happened to the "gold coins"? I used to have some, but it has been a long time and I dont. I dont even see them on the BOC anymore. Are they gone? WHat were they?

C (clueless) P

8. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    It might be around that time for the spawn. I've been noticing that the fishing has slowed down a ton. It's probably what is wrong with that fish's tail.

9. Rastus

Rastus Active Member

State:
    North Central, Missouri
    I'd have to agree, probably from spawning, thanks for the post and pic. I have just started catfishing again here recently and am not have very good luck, I hope due to the spawn, but I'm keeping at it.

10. shopteacher

shopteacher New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would have to say that they are nesting. I have noticed several of the blues to have really torn up fins lately. At least the ones we have been able to catch. Channel cats are starting to pick up in my area.

11. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The fishing has slowed way down up in my neck of the woods so I would have to agree, the cats are nesting. That picture there is a very good sign of that. I caught a few flatheads last weekend and they scars as well!

12. hardtime

hardtime New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My grandfather always said the big cats nest right before the wheat turns so looks to be the case. Still going fishin but maybe all I'll catch is a tan.