Nerves of steel or just plumb crazy?

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by renji2476, Jun 17, 2008.

1. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Now I am an avid bow hunter and have shot at a lot of animals (hit some:cool2: and missed some:embarassed:) and haven't really tried to hunt hogs with a bow just cause I heard that they tend to attack once they've been stuck. Now I say all this only to say this: here lately when I am inside long enough to watch tv I watch the hunting channels (outdoor, MAN, and pursuit) and have been watching these fellows bow hunting hogs, so I have to ask is it like riding a bull you have to have big cahones and no brains or just lots of strategy and nerves of steel? I ask cause I'm starting to get an itch and just want to make sure that I have enough info for when I decide to scratch it, know what I mean?:wink::crazy::wink: Y'all tell me what y'all think!!

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    sticking a pig with a bow isn't going to get you automatically attacked. from what i have seen an enraged pig, like one dogs have bayed up, is more likely to try and get you than one you sneak up on and stick with an arrow. i have only shot one hog with a bow, and it grunted and took off, along with the rest of them. i have seen folks get charged on tv and have been charged, once was a sow with piggies and the other was a bayed hog that the catch dog couldn't get ahold of (one ear) and i guess i looked like the easiest target, haha. also a pig that is stumbling and going down, if you try walking towards them before they drop, probably would not be a great idea. deer will not take too kindly if when they are down but not dead, you try and pull them out of a bush or something, i have seen/been the victim of that too. if you decide to stick a hog, after the shot do not move, they will run off. give them enough time to die before you trail them. also, if you get one down and it is not dead, shoot it again, rather than let it bleed out. sometimes when they start squalling other pigs will come back to help them out. oh yeah, kill as many as you can! :big_smile:

one more thing, take a sidearm. unless it is bow season only, you can take a sidearm along. we even do this deer hunting in rifle season, i learned a long time ago it's safer to ping a still kicking animal in the head with a pistol than to try and slit its throat. when we kill pigs, i usually shoot them in the head once anyway. hope all this helps, and be safe!

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Never hunted hogs.We caught wild hogs or we killed wild hogs destroying crops and livestock.You never know what a Hog will do because the Hog don't know till it happens.People use to carry a old surplus long bladed Bayonet in case a Hog got you down when catching them.I still have mine with it's 11 3/4 in.blade.The blade withe is 7/8 in wide.It must be able to go into a eye socket and into the brain or be long enough to go down the throat to the heart if necessary if it has you down.A Wide blade Bowie is no good for a hand spear!I held or tied when catching hogs.

Some can do it,some can't.If I was going to hunt them,I would do it from off the ground and safety.ALWAYS keep your eye out for the one you can't see.Hogs will often come to a squealing hog.They will ambush you individually or attack in a drove going to a wounded hog or carrying a dead one out.Rare,but just once kills you.You hunt that Hog like you would hunt a very good man in the woods with a gun.You don't,they can feed on you.It is like wearing snake boots.The odds are you will never need them,BUT!

Buy you a box of Kotex Maxi-pads and good tape.Black 3-M electrical is good.Put 4 of them in a good EASY OPENING Zip lock bag with the tape.Hope you never need them.This is the Best kit for gaping wounds or blood vessel cuts that I know.You need the easy opening kind as your hands may be bloody,one handed or weak.The tape will make a tourniquet.

It was just "work" in the 50's,-80's.Most caught hogs live to sell like folks work a second job.Some died on this job.I remember some of them.I caught hogs with some of them.They were good.Some of the best.Real pros.They were experienced and knew what they were doing.They still got killed.Please be careful and NEVER get tunnel vision or have just one careless second.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. ga2oh

ga2oh New Member

State:
    ohio
    When ever I stick a hog it tends to run off in the other direction. I've never had one turn at me. Now I have come between a sow and her piglets, and she charged me. But nothing seriuos.:big_smile:

5. catdaddy64

catdaddy64 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    My cousin shot a video of some guys killing a couple of wild hogs one with a bow and the other with a sharp shooter shovel made into a "spear". Both charged the hunters without much success.

I will try to find it and post some clips if I can...:cool2:

I have heard some horror stories about "when hogs attack". (dead hunting dogs, horses with their guts ripped out, men whose femural arteries were punctured when a hog ran between their legs...etc) I even know a guy who killed one with a double bit chopping axe when it attacked him while cutting wood.

Wild Hog hunting is exciting and unpredictable at best and horrifying and deadly at worst.

Sounds like fun, huh? If on the ground keep your head on a swivel and your ahole puckered' because they will get you if you don't have your stuff together and they do.

Good luck making your decision...

6. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    When hunting any big game, the game must come to an understanding that there has been a change of status. A wild hog is a big deal in his world. You come into that world you have to show him a change of status. What I mean by this is that when struck with a weapon it has to have a devastating effect on the animal's central nervous system, it has to take away his will to live or flee. So if you are hunting him with a bow, then follow the example of Fred Bear and have a back up weapon. Preferably something that will demonstrate the change in status for the hhhaaaaawwwwwwgggggggg!

7. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I think that I am going to give it a shot:cool2:.... Keep seeing the signs out at a friends house and I think it is going to be fun.... My buddy has a "status change" gun and he will be going with me so hopefully I can get some pics of the Beast that I am lucky enough to get!!! Thanks for all the info Guys and wish me luck!!!:big_smile::wink::big_smile:

8. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    be a real man...stab it with a knife!!! ill do it if you do it. ive always wanted too but aint got hogs around here.

9. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Now I am assuming that you are joking.The following is for anyone who may take you seriously.

My beliefs and opinions on manhood.

Manhood is accepting responsibility.Manhood is doing what is right.Doing what is right is cutting a hogs throat after it is dead.Thousands of Professional Hog farmers have been killed and maimed by tame hogs over the years.

Foolishness is no sign of manhood.I have killed a hog with a knife because it was killing dogs and a man was on the ground.I thought the hog had put him down.Manhood had nothing to do with it.Desperation was everything.Had a dog not had one ear,I most likely would have been killed along with the fallen man.Skill or ability had nothing to do with it either.Neither did courage as I never even thought.It all happened too fast.I was 16 years old,5'7" and 117 lbs.I was proof that any kid or moron can do it.That hog did not die suddenly like in the movies nor did my brother with his Jugular cut.I know this as I saw both.

It is a lot harder to catch and tie a hog than cut it's throat with it being held and caught by dogs and a man.You just never take any chance that you do not have to.

A real man does not risk his life needlessly.It is too valuable to him because others depend on and care about him.A real man does not take a chance on hurting those people for play or sport.They deserve better than having to take care of you for the rest of your life.

Wild hogs can put you in a wheelchair for the rest of your life with someone having to wipe your butt for you.I am thinking of such a man right now who had a house full of small children.I never fully realized just how bad he had it till someone started to have to pottier me like a child.I can't even remember his last name,but I well remember him sitting there in that wheelchair with his kids.It cost his parents,wife and kids far more than him.He was "Bullet Proof" (his words) several weeks before it happened.Experienced folk would not catch hogs with him due to his recklessness.He ridiculed us and called us cowards for it.He worked very hard to get killed in everything he did.His wife and family deserved better.

I hear of some doing this after catching them with dogs.Why?Why kill and maim the dog along with endangering your life needlessly if you are to kill the hog?It is legal and I do not condemn it.I just do not see the sport in it or the need to do dogs like this.I do not trophy hunt or fish as I was raised to leave them to breed.I owned the best catch dog that I ever personally knew.We were a team.I started training "Ugly" to catch at 6 weeks of age.If I wanted to kill a hog,why chance getting her hurt?I have never needed a dog to kill a hog.If I did ,I would have used one.Folks who do must feel the need.I sewed up the Dogs and Men when Hog hunting.

I have no doubt that you can bare handedly cut the throat of any wild hog,Grizzly,Black Bear,Elephant,Tiger,Lion,Cobra or man.Anyone can,including a partially paralyzed dieing old cripple.Now can you survive it?Please think about it.

I had friends who did things like this.I now have to visit every single one in their cemetery.All of their surviving friends believe they were stupid.What will yours think?I have no idea why I or anyone survived catching hogs.I did go about it like I did booby traps and mines.

I care.This is why I am saying this.I am like a nagging old woman over this because I have seen what happens so fast you miss it happening.I have never seen a man who liked the sight of his own intestines.Not one!

10. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    didnt mean for this to be any sign of manness. my cousin stabbed one and killed it, but he said he wouldent have done it if he wouldent have been drunk. i wouldent mind stabbing one though. anyone can go and shoot one with a gun, and its quite a bit harder to shoot one with a bow so imigine the challenge it would be with a knife.

11. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Guys, I've killed tons and tons of pigs. The majority of the ones that I've killed have been with knives or a .22. Yes, you read that right. We bay them or catch them with dogs, and then usually stick them with a knife & kill em. They deserve your respect, because they can be dangerous.... but they are not super-animals. They're just pigs. You put anything from a .22 caliber bullet on up between their eyes & ears, and they do a croppie flop, just like any other animal would. If you're gonna bowhunt them, do so with a good cut-on-contact style broadhead & just go to work on em. There's no secret to killing pigs. Feed them & they will come. Besides that, watch the wind and don't walk across any game trails that you expect them to come into your setup from.

Seriously, they're really not that hard to kill & it doesn't take a real "man" to take one out. Don't mean to bust anybody's bubble here.

12. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I think like Jingle.It ain't a challenge to stick a hog.Anyone can do it.I was proof of that.

Doing it without getting hurt is the challenge.

It is like catching Snakes.Somebody is going to get hurt.Somebody is going to die.Just make sure it is somebody else.

I remember the open range In Georgia before the fence law.Everyones stock ran loose.Regular catching,marking,Screw Worm treating and castrating hogs & cows was a part of farming.Hard work.

I still have a old smoked and preserved Pig ear somewhere with the old owners notches in it.

13. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    I certainly respect Mr. PeeWee's take on hogs. I'm betting he has handled more wild hogs in his days than all of us combined but... I've bowhunted them for the past twenty years, probably took upwards of sixty with a bow and guided hunters in east Texas for a while, all bowhunters. I only had ONE close call and that was with a big boar that I was stalking and let get within 10 feet of the tree I was behind. I shot the boat in the neck (spine shot) at a matter of a few feet. I drew the bow while behind the tree and eased around it and, there he was! About 285 pounds. He had his stout in the air, huffing like a bear, he smelled me and there is absolutely no doubt that he was coming for me had I not hit him in the spine. But... most hog hunt's I've been on are similar to the account I posted with my current newspaper article here on the BOC and at www.catfishradio.com... Hogs are fun to hunt and have the potential to be might dangerous but, keep your head about you while hunting them and you'll have a fun, safe hunt. Let us know how your first hog hunt turns out. I'm betting you will come back with some pork and wonder where you got all those ideas about just hog dangerous hog hunting is! Good luck and hunt safe. Luke Clayton

14. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Well said.I am perhaps like the old mother hen who has lost a chick to a Hawk.You are all equally precious to me.I went because I believed the people needed me.I was always asked.That was important.

Having sewed up the men and dogs,known the dogs and men who were hurt and the ones who died,I look at it different.I went to school with the children whose father died,saw how they made out or suffered.I saw the cripples in men and dogs.I loved and respected both.I am not against it.I do know that more men died catching hogs back then than they did Bear hunting to the best of my belief.Cows killed folks too!

I just want you all to be careful and never forget!I want all home safe.Lightening,shark attack or hogs.You can lesson the risk.Not to do so endangers your loved ones!They depend on you!Look around you at the ones who lost theirs!

Let's hear of some hunts!

I love you Brothers and Sisters.Yea,I do care and I do worry about each and every one of you.You are my family.peewee

15. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You are right.It is very easy to do with a knife,bow or a gun.

I respect your right,But I do not understand the reason for the way you kill hogs.I am doing my best to do so.

We bayed and caught hogs alive to sell.If you are going to kill the hog,why endanger,injure,maim and kill dogs as a certain amount of this will happen.I have never seen sport or enjoyed the cutting of the throat of any held mammal.It was and is called killing where I have been for 63 years in all parts of the world.You can hunt,shoot and kill a hog without endangering a dog.If it is held,it is killing where I come from and for most of the world that I have been in.You also call it killing.

You can join the military and they will teach you to do it quietly,professionally and without the need of help from dogs or other humans.They did me.They will also allow you to do it in a far more equal and non sporting manner if you wish to volunteer.If you do not wish to join,I do believe that you can find locally some vets who are trained and US Government certified as expert in the field who would help you learn if you wished.

I am not condemning you.I truly do not understand.Perhaps if you cut the hogs throat without something holding it for you,or endangering a dog for no reason that I can see,I would understand.I can even see trail and bay dogs,but you can Kill that hog without endangering a "catch"dog.We did this at times with certain hogs that were causing much damage.

I love the sound of running dogs and the hunting of Rabbits to Deer and Hogs with dogs.I understand stock dogs and the danger to man and dog in catching and handling stock.I do not understand doing it to kill stock with a knife.

I would not have a dog that I thought so little of that I would risk killing to cut a hogs throat.This is me.

I am having to ask as I am not able to go see for myself.

16. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've seen hogs hunted with a knife on several videos. Good guides with good dogs make it look easier than I'm sure it really is. I even seen one with Tred Barta knife hunting hogs, if that assclown can get it done without gettin killed, I'm sure any competant hunter with some instruction could get it done.

17. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I hunted all over Florida in the swamps and fields. I knew several Native Americans that hunted ONLY with knife or spear as a right of passage type of thing. I close friend of my dad was a Seminole Indian and he said it best. He would catch wild boars live by hand and bread them to his domestic hogs and catch sows for his hogs. My dad asked why he did not just stab them with a knife? His said it was MUCH MORE SANE to catch a wild hog and tie him than taking a chance with your life and making him mad!
    I have been charged a few times and ALL had one thing in common. The animal was hurt. A hunter shot one with a 20gs slug and hit it high. That hog drug itself about 10yds towards us before he put the next slug in it's head. It was dragging it's hind quarters. I hit one at about 10 yds at a dead run with a 12ga solid copper sabot 50 cal slug. It went in an inch under the right eye and stopped under the skin on the left ham on a 250lb MAD boar. He had an old arrow broken off in his left hind quarter. The only other one was in Green Swamp, We heard someone shoot 3-4 times and then nothing. About 30 minutes later we spotted a boar about 50 yds across the clearing. When it saw us it took off straight at us. That animal had 3 rifle rounds in him. 2 in the shoulder and one in the hip all on the right side. He was bloody and MAD! They appeared to be either 223 or 243 caliber and were ALL light bullets. One was removed almost 100% complete and was right at 57grains in weight.
    Other than that they have all ran the other direction OR (!) a friend hit one with a bow when I was pistol hunting and it stood there looking around. We thought he missed it, so he readied another arrow and it fell over just as he released the second arrow. I do not think it knew where the noise came from as it had its head down and did not know which way to run to avoid it so it stood there looking around.

18. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I just want to share this about a hog hunt. We went to a friends house that was having problems with hogs on his farm. They bread show steer and one had already hurt a leg so his dad wanted us to get rid of some pigs.
    We got to the area about an hour before dusk in the winter and it was a cold winter for Florida and was set to freeze. We had just got out and about an 80lb hog came out of the brush about 30yds from us. I put a 12ga Remington Solid copper slug in it. It turned and ran into the palm scrub and was making all kind of noise with the brush. They were all picking on me that I missed it. Typically these slugs dropped them within yds. Well the noise got closer and I got ready and out popped the hog and I put another slug into him and he turned and ran into the scrub again. you could hear him running and about 5 minutes later he popped out again and I shot at him again to the same result. the noise ran about 50 or so yds away and he popped out and ran across the cow path by the cows in the other pasture and I watched him go. i did not shoot again the rest of the night because evidently I was WAY off. My buddies got 3 hogs with rifles and one hit a BIG one that went into the brush at dark. They went back the next morning to find the big one. They found it after about 30 minutes and it was a wild domestic mix that was close to 300lbs.
    About a year later we were having a cook out/party for my friends moms birthday party and I was talking to there dad and he said that they had a bunch of hogs that needed to be cleared out and asked If I was interested. I told him I would and hope fully I could do better this time. He said "you guys killed 7 hogs in a hour".
    I had to work the next morning and could not go after the big hog with them. Well a year later I found out they found 3 hogs all less than 5 yds from where I hit them when I shot. Evidently there was a BUNCH of 80 or so pounders from the big sow and they were running all around in the palms when I would shoot one they would run around and come back to the pasture and another one would pop out. They never told me anything and let me put about 20 rounds down range at paper and try to figure out how I missed something so easy. They told me they all laughed about it every time they thought about it. They said it was revenge for the bowling pin shoots when I would beat them and when we went to the range and bet lunch on a group. It was all good fun and makes a funny story.

19. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Pee Wee, you've stated on here a few times that you used dogs to catch hogs to sell in the past. We use dogs to catch and kill hogs. What's the difference? The difference lies in that you needed to catch them for money, and we just need to get rid of them. We are doing a service for a landowner, you were doing one for a livestock owner. Hunting hogs with dogs is the most effective method I've ever seen, to rid a piece of land of unwanted wild hogs. It works better than shooting them, trapping them, snaring them, or even poisoning them. It's effective and it's fun, so I do it.

My dogs are tools. I love them and care for them, but they're simply tools. Some of you won't understand that, and that's just peachy with me. I don't wish any harm on them, but I know how the game works. Eventually, most of them will get hurt in one way or another and some will get killed. That's just how it is.

It's like everything else.... if it were easy, hairdressers would do it.:wink:

20. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    As for hairdressers,I have seen some big ugly hogs in those "Beauty Shops" I bet they said the same about me!

I agree with your first paragraph 100%,EXCEPT for the FUN.It was hard,brutal and dangerous work.Folks often wanted me as I "had a knack for stock and I would stand".I started out when small holding dogs.When bigger I would most times catch the hog by the hind legs and hold until it was tied.Never had a complaint.I could also tie.Never had a complaint there either.I believe that flipping and tieing that hog is the most dangerous job.Your butt is in the mouth of the dog and the hands of the man doing the holding.I do believe that I have spent more time being drug by a hog while holding on for life than I have spent standing and holding.You will go down at times.May God help you all if you turn loose and let that hog have the use of those back legs.I have been drug,peed and crapped on by many a hog.Because of this,I have stripped and bathed repeatedly in every month of the year in mud holes to rivers.

You catch hogs when it is hot and a lot of them will die.You got to keep them cool.Do it in the afternoon on a real hot summer day,and most if not all will die.

Now we had "Screw worms"in the warm months in my day.They would lay eggs on a wound and would eat until it killed a animal.Man or beast was killed if it could not reach the wound to keep them out.Stock with any wound or screw worms had to be caught and treated with a Blue ointment to keep the animal from being killed.It was hard to catch open range stock with out wounding the stock,but you had no choice if it was to survive.Dogs were the single most important stock animal a eastern farmer had when the stock free ranged in the woods.All planted fields and yards were fenced to keep stock out,and yard dogs were kept and trained to keep big hogs and cattle from tearing through fences into fields and yards.

The slickest egg and chicken thieves that I have ever seen were hogs!They would put any Hobo or Gypsy to shame.And yes,I personally know that Hogs,Hobos and Gypsies would steal eggs and chickens.I saw them along with quite a few other things!

We used catch dogs to catch hogs.They held the ear while the hog was tied for removal.If the hog was just going to be cut or ear notched,it was rolled,held,cut and notched.Watch for the sow!She would normally eat you alive defending her pigs.Cows was caught by the nose.You throwed them,cut them if needed,notched their ears and released them.These were normally young and smaller.Watch for the cow!She,like the sow would kill you over her calf!Mean fighting,killing protective stock were highly valued and these animals were bred for such as Bob cats to thieves had a much harder time with them.The mean ones simply raised and produced more offspring!The "Old Bull of the woods" was the old Bull or Boar who was no longer wanted for Breeding.Now these were jobs that no one wanted,but had to be done.They were big,strong and mean!Would have been a lot easier to kill than cut.A certain percentage of big male Hogs and Cattle will "Sulk" and die when castrated.Don't matter if in the woods or the Barn.Shock?Turning this stock loose was most often the worse time!

Never seen the use or the need for a catch dog to kill a hog or cow.Trail and bay dogs yes.Still don't see or understand the need to risk the dog just so you can stick it.I do agree that it would be just about imposable to stick one without a catch dog.I would kill it another way and save the dog.

I hate to say it,but really the two best or most convenient hog dogs that I ever had were a 13 inch Beagle and a Springer Spaniel.City folks city dogs that I took as they "Barked" and the neighbors complained in the city.I don't know why but these two dumb city dogs would trail up a hog or hogs,get it fighting mad and get it to chase them time after time until they had it trying to come between your legs.One time this was done at a little over 2 miles by truck speedometer as a friend plowing saw them with the hog at the edge or his field.It would sometimes take hours,but they would work that hog and bring them to you.Never got hurt by a hog either.I came home to my gate open and them gone one day.They would jump in a car with anyone.

Do you cut those hogs throats or stick them?We use a 5 inch blade to "stick hogs" when butchering.Still got my old 17" pig sticker like we carried in case a hog got you down.Never used it as such.Cracked a pile of Hickory Nuts and black Walnuts with the backside of the blade.

Still don't understand.Don't have to,nor you me.This is your thing,enjoy Brother!I enjoyed the folk,not the job.It was a bad job,terrible working conditions and no pay for me.I sure had some great folks to work with and you could and did trust your life to them!