Nephew's first flathead catfish, along with some others!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KansasKatter, Aug 14, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    My brother and I took our son's fishing last night, had a pretty good night. Caught 16, my son caught his personal best channel (12#) and my nephew caught his first flathead, and get this, it weighed 20#!

Anyone else have a 20# flathead under their belt before their 10th birthday?:tounge_out:

I have more pictures in the Kansas Catfishing section under local Kansas talk. Those pics are better.

On a side note, I had one probably around 50#, got right to the bank, and he made another run, too fast for me to put tension in my rod, and drag stuck, *SNAP* about made me cry!:sad2:

Attached Files:

2. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the Fish!

Now that was a grin in that picture!

Some of us are STILL waiting for a flathead over 20 lbs:angry:

3. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    congrats on the fish.... sounds like a very productive night.. tell those boys i said those are some nice fish.. and congrats on his first flatty.. i bet hes hooked now...

4. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    YOU SIR GET REP for getting them hooked on hooking them big while they are still little :big_smile:

5. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Thanks guys, if you ever wonder why you should take a kid fishing, just look at those smiles! They are priceless, and you should have seen them running up and down the bank all excited every time someone had a fish. It was one of those nights you will never forget.

We never leave the house to go fishing without at least asking them to go, of course they have never said no yet! Gets a little cramped on the river bank with 4 of us fishing, but hell, if it comes down to it, we all fish with just one pole.:wink:

6. catcatcher311

catcatcher311 New Member

State:
    Ne
    That is awesome glad to see little guys catch big fish that really gets them hooked. I had fun when I just would catch bluegill off the dock when I was a little kid I could only imagine how excited they were.

7. CamFish3210

CamFish3210 New Member

State:
    Texas
    i cant even said ive had a 20 lbs flathead under my belt before my 20th bday! but i can say i have a 20 lbs blue before my 15th bday. congrats on the fish, im sure ya'll had a good time!

8. jruckman41

jruckman41 New Member

State:
    west virginia
    Me And My Son Go Catfishing All The Time He Has Own 10 Foot Set Up.we Went To A Catfish Tournament Saturday With Catfishn72/troy And Wolfman/walter Flack We Got First And Second Place. My Boy Caught A 6 Pounder And Troy Caught 12 Pounder We Had Fun

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nice fish, tell em congrats on the catches.

10. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    My nephew caught his 20# on a 6.5' Rhino rod, with an 808 Zebco and 20# line. That is pretty much all we use on this river, it is just to cramped and crowded on the bank to fish with anything bigger or heavier.

I actually prefer this rig to anything else, lot more sporting, you have to play the fish out more. You should have seen Austing fighting his, just like a pro! I have also had way more luck fishing lighter tackle, even when fishing both heavy and lighter at the same time, the lighter tackle always gets more and better bites.

11. BamaCats

BamaCats Member

State:
    Alabama
    i got two little girls 3 and 2 and i cant wait till the dayi can carry them out fishing. i have already got them a set of reeels lined up and ready to go just waitngin for them to grow up and go with mommy and daddy.

12. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    looked like a very fun night tell the kids congrads.