Neosho River

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Kansas Tree Rat, May 26, 2008.

1. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    I live up near Kansas city now but make a trip down to Chanute where I grew up every year about this time. Went down Thursday night and the river was a little higher than I like but I did land a 15 pounder about midnight.
    Friday night was better. caught two real nice channel and a flathead that went about 38 lbs. The flat hit as soon as I set up while I was rigging my second rod. It was the best fight I have ever had. It took 22 minutes to put him on the bank in the swift water. He headed down stream on me and I had to follow him down the bank about 250 yards.
    Just about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.:big_smile:

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    sounds like you had fun i wish it would quit raining at night in my parts so i could go out and do some fishing

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Nice flatheads Alan. Did you get any pics? What bait were you using?

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    The Neosho river is an excellent flathead river. Wished I lived a little closer so I could fish it. Hopefully I can make it there atleast once this year. Do you fish the low water dam in Chanute?

5. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    I did get rained on coming out on Thursday but it was worth it. There are Three low water damms at Chanute. I was fishing the last one down stream. The upper damm is privite and NO ONE is allowed to fish it any more. You used to be able to buy a membership but they do not let anyone in now. Real shame too it was always the best of the three. The middle one is pretty good, but there is alot of parties and shooting going on there.
    There used to be lots of folks fishing the big ones around there but I had the river all to myself both nights I was there. There are still alot of guys that run lines. They kill a ton of the big ones. When I was a kid 80 lbs was common, anymore 60 is rare. In 1978 my brother hooked a fish he had on for 3 hours and we never even saw it.
    I was using big bluegills the first night and had several bites that I know were Channel but they did not get them swallowed so I caught some medium size Black perch on friday and caught 2 10 lb plus channels and the Flathead. I lost a channel right at the bank that would have went about 15 lbs.

6. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey Kansas Tree Rat, Glad to hear you did good on the old river.I have been out to ditmers several times in the last few weeks and haven't caught to much.We have been tearing them up at Brownwells though.I guess i should say half way between the two.Next time your around you'll have to get ahold of me and i will take you to my honey hole right down the river from brownwells. Nice big bend in the river that is sweet when the water is up and rolling good.Creates a big backwash that holds lots of nice flats.I caught 3 over 60 last year on limb lines but like you said they are getting rare.I heard a rumer that they are going to leave a couple gates cracked at redmond since it is so silted in and should keep the river a foot or two higher all year which should help the fish to get a little bigger.

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    how r the fish biting on this river thinking of going to emporia up stream down wich is best

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Hey Gus, I tried to send you another PM, said your mailbox is full.

9. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    k
    i will empty it reel quick

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Gus , Im not too familiar with that river. Alan (KansasTreeRat) would be the one to talk to. Good luck. I wish I could get out there with you. :big_smile:

11. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    I don't know about the fishing but, dang it I'm gonna be out of town. :angry:

12. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    http://www.fws.gov/flinthills/nwrmap21.GIF

Looks like there are a couple ramps and it's all public land between Neosho Rapids and the lake. I've been out to the wildlife refuge a couple times where the river runs through. I need to go out there and throw a hook in some time.

13. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    well we left great bend broke down in emporia the people that fixed replaced jacks breaks did not tighten the bolts that hold the break drum on tight and we lost a bolt wich made the drum rub his wheel and we had to limp into the local auto parts store and replace the bolt
    we get to the ramp and wow the parking lot is from 1ft -4 foot under water and the ramp was 15ft under water
    we unloaded the boat by hand and got on the river wow hardly any current just water backed up and very hard to target the fish
    we set lines and rand r but to all of our hard work only caught a 20lbr and 2 5-6 lbrs cleaned the small ones to find both of them where full of small what looked to be bullheads caught 1 on a bullhead and the other 2 on carp
    we didnt get skunked but what a nite

Attached Files:

14. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Sounds like quite the adventure Gus. Not too bad of an ending, you could have gotten skunked. Good work!

15. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Sorry to hear about all the high water and truck trouble.But hey you got to fish a new river and you did catch some fish.

16. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Congrats Gus. Nice flathead. :big_smile: