Neosho River ramps?

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by smhmc6, Jun 2, 2008.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've heard people talk about there being ramps on the Neosho. I'm from Wichita and my buddy is from KC... now that we are out of school we have a little more time to plan trips and try out more waters. We are pretty interested in trying out the Neosho River for a weekend trip sometime this summer for flat heads. Since we don't live near where it runs we don't have a clue where the ramps are and what sections are good for flat heads or are deep enough to run with a jon boat, etc. I know that its not technically a "navigable" river, but I'm sure a few of you out there have been on it. If someone tells me to leave we will respectfully leave... but in most cases as long as you aren't causing problems nobody will have a problem. Anyway, does anybody have any information on where you can put in at, areas to camp (or if not we could stay at a hotel or something)? I've heard good things about that river, any help would be great. Thanks.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I think your best bet would be putting in above Grand Lake in Ok. There is a ramp in Chetopa KS but have heard stories of angry landowners who arent nice enough to politely ask for you to leave. They will let you know with a shot gun.:wink: Im not sure how commonplace this is.There is also a couple of ramps above John Redmond, most I believe on Corps land. Being from Sedgwick Co. we usually get the shaft on these kinda deals.

3. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Yep there is a nice ramp in the town of harford ks above redmond lake.

The river there is alot bigger of course than below the lake with some good fish.

You go down river from the ramp about two miles and you come to the biggest log jam you have ever seen.Thay pulls lots of flats out of there.
    It was in the in-fisherman mag a couple of yrs ago.

Lots of snags/brush all up and down the river.

you go up from the ramp about 1mile and you come to the riffles and holes.

I believe you can camp there at the ramp as well.

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Yeah that log jam is over 2 miles long now. I can imagine it would be very hard to fish but I think it would pay off. I hear that jam is full of everything you can imagine,including refridgerators,dead cows and tons of snakes. That would be a sight to see!

5. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    It would be a long drive for you so a over night camp out would be needed. At Chetopa dam there are 2 ramps. One right at the face of the dam, becareful water can be rough there. 2nd ramp is at the camp ground north of the dam or above the dam.