Neosho River Fishing above JR

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by tmramrod91, May 18, 2009.

1. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Me, Steve, and another friend are takin a nice little trip to fish the Neosho above John Redmond this weekend. Has anyone fished this area much this year? Any suggestions on shad on the lake?

2. channelin

channelin New Member

State:
    Baldwin City Kansas
    I have fished the log jam above the lake once this year, caught a few channels big was ten lbs, But that was a month ago. As for shad I usually go below to the spillway its much easier for me! Good luck!

3. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Thanks for the report. We hammered them there last year, but that was much later in the year. Almost all Channels, a few small flatties. I'm hopin the river stabilizes some this week and we can really get into them again.

4. channelin

channelin New Member

State:
    Baldwin City Kansas
    How Big of Channels did you catch in there last year?

5. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Well one night we caught about 15-20 fish, and I think only one of them was under 7 lbs, biggest was 13 or 14. Another night we only caught a handful, including a 15 or so lber. One of the best fishing nights of my life.

6. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Kevin,
    That sounds like a heck of a night. That would be a lot of fun. :big_smile::big_smile:

7. Phoneman53

Phoneman53 New Member

State:
    Olivet, Kansas,
    Info on John Redmond as of 5/15.....Lake level up 27 feet, releasing 3,000 cfs. 14 gates open water temp around 63 degrees, Expect large releases for the next several weeks

8. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I wish the would open it all the way up and let it go.

9. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I think the conditions are going to be just great for a successful trip, water levels, water temperature, etc. I'm excited to go:big_smile:. Them flatties should be primed and ready to go. The channels should be biting well too.

Josh, you said you net shad below the spillway... just curious how? As I recall from last year its a 30 to 50' drop to the water and I don't think you can get that close up to it with a boat. Its been a year since I've been though. We got our shad last year off the boat ramp to the south of the embankment on the lake. I can't remember the name of the area, but otter creek rings a bell for some reason... could be totally wrong and might be a different lake though. Hopefully they are schooled up there again, but as Kevin said it was later in the year like August or so.

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Steve go to the East side there is a metal staircase over there, go down that and go south , there is a rock ledge you have to walk across then there is a drain pipe that always has water spilling out of it into a small slack water pool to the side of the river, throw there. We always got our shad there. If your fishing the north side of the lake again, there is a way to get your boat back up in that logjam, thats where the flatheads are. Shelby has the CI from '07 , I read an article in there about this fella that would make his way back into that logjam, he said once you get back in there aways, there is a big opening. He floats greenies under a bobber 4' and slays the flats back in there. :wink:

11. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Keith, thanks for the info. With the lake up so high, getting back into the snag might be a real possibility...flatties beware ......

12. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks Kieth, that was some good info. I think I know where you're talking about in that snag. We were up in there last year I think. Also, great tip on the shad. I didn't even notice the east bank last year cause we stayed on the west. This year the only sites open were on the east. Anyway I'll check that spot out.

13. Phoneman53

Phoneman53 New Member

State:
    Olivet, Kansas,

Attached Files:

14. channelin

channelin New Member

State:
    Baldwin City Kansas
    Steve I get shad where keith said to go, Ive been there a couple times this year already to get shad and have got shad every trip. I have fished with john thompson at redmond who I belive they got the info for the article in "CI" and he always tells us he does really good using the float and bluegill in that logjam up above the lake. I think with the lake as high as it is you should be able to navigate that jam. Good luck!

15. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    http://www.swt-wc.usace.army.mil/JOHN.lakepage.html

Might not hurt to try below the dam as well fellas. 8300 cfs should be enought to get the cats moving up to feed. Ive got an asian buddy at work that caught 2 blues over 30 lbs. there last year when they were letting out 6000 cfs, and numerous flatheads. He didnt have a scale, but he showed me pics, and I guessed the 2 blues at around 30 lbs. His flatheads ranged from 10-50 lbs, Id guess. He's also the one that told me about the shad hole. Some of these asians you meet at spillways have some good information. Spillways releasing water is their main fishing holes. Another asian buddy I used to work with taught me how to jig for flatheads at spillways. They do snag alot on accident and keep them. I frown on that , and try to educate them, but the one good thing is , they feed their families. They dont hang them in bait shops and take pics. There was about 6 of them, that worked with me. They have since moved on to different jobs, but I keep in touch with a few of them. They are Hmong people, and generally good people. Everyone thinks they are chinese or vietnamese, but their not. They are originally from Northern China. They are mountain people, and fisherman by birth. Alot of my fishing knowledge comes from them. Theyve taught me alot about spillway fishing. Ive seen them in action, and they catch alot of big fish when spillways are dumping alot of water. If you ever have a chance to talk to some of them, ask questions, they are usually pretty easy to talk to. Especially the ones our age. You can learn alot from them. Anyway Steve and Kevin , good luck on your trip, I hope you guys stick some pigs. Remember , dont overlook that spillway down there, besides seeing those pics, Ive personally seen some big flatheads come from there, and some real nice (10-20 lb.) channels. Take Care fellas. :big_smile:

16. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Do you guys get to the log jam from the lake or put on in Neosho Rapids? How far is it from Neosho Rapids to the lake, and is there any good fishing in between? Thanks in advance for any input.

17. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Hey.....there is no ramp in Neosho Rapids. if there was a ramp there you still couldn't (wouldn't want to) make the trip from there to John Redmond. John Redmond is really high and alot of the roads are covered in water, all of the ramps of the refuge part are underwater and alot of the roads have barricades blocking them. Where there is a will there is a way. We got the boat on the water and I caught a nice flathead- when I weighed him my scales showed 20 lbs. obviously my cheap scales are not accurate. I am guessing 40 if not a little more, look at that gut. I caught a couple nice channels but after the flathead......I didn't even take a pic. When getting ready to leave I had to walk from Stram flats access, the ramp (actually a submerged road near a ramp) I could find, to eagle creek which is where the truck was. With everything flooded I picked the wrong place to launch/park, it is not visible from river/creek. I have never been on that lake before, but I bet I make a return trip.

Attached Files:

18. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Nice flathead George !!! :big_smile:

19. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    looks bigger than my 37. id guess it at 43 to 45 although i dont know how tall you are from the pic.

20. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Great fish George!