Neosho River at Chetopa,Ks

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by kansas_catman_16, Jan 31, 2009.

1. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Does anyone go down to chetopa,ks and snag below the dam if so how is it down there and how bigga paddlefish do u get ive never been but im goin this spring. also is there any good catfishing under the dam jus in case i dont have any luck snaggin dont wanna drive 3.5 hrs and not have any luck :roll_eyes:. and if any of yall interested in meetin me down there let me know and we'll set suntin up.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I have stopped there on my way through. Its a nice park with camping right on the river.
    The spoonbill fishin can be good there, so I have heard. You just have to time it right. Cant help you mush with that, sorry.
    Here is a crappy video of the park and the low water dam.

[youtubevid]uIyMEoVqazY[/youtubevid]

3. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    o ok. whens the next time u think u'll be goin through there i think i'll be headin down there around the 21st o march if the waters up see if i can snag a big one. i heard last yr the biggest spoonbill to come outta there was 80lb and they had alot of fish between 15-45lbs. had a good number between 45-60

4. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Hey Joe or Anyone:

I have a Uncle in Galena, and I get there often enough, owuld love to find someone to show me the catfish hot spots in the area. Don't have a boat, but I do have beer and gas money.

5. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
  6. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    We usually try and get down there at least 10 to 12 times each sponnie season.Its only 40 minutes south of me.Make sure the river is up before you come down or it won't be worth your time.It is a realy good spot for fishing for cats also.LOTS of white cats caught there.I am going to go on into OK. to miami so we can try to shoot a few with the bows this year.Its only a few more miles and the spoonies are alot more concentrated there.Good luck with whatever you decide.

7. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    thanks for the info. mayb i'll see ya down there. how high would u say the river should be befo i decide to head that way? how big do u get em out from below that dam

8. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The river needs to be at least bank full before it gets good.I have seen lots of 60 to 70 pound plus spoonies pulled out from there.The whole key is that the river needs to be over the dam at miami so they can get up there.If its to low you won't see very many if any getting snagged.Twin bridges below miami is the place to go if you have a boat.It seems to be good there no matter what.You can also snag them on Lake of the Ozarks,its pretty good over there also.Good Luck!!!

9. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    can u snag without a boat down there or is a boat a must

10. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I am sure most of the snagging is done on the bank. There are ramps there but its pretty shallow and rocky. A boat probably wouldnt help much, unless you went downstream.

11. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    What arkrivercatman said.No boats at Chetopa, all bank snagging.A boat is alot easier at miami.Too many people down there and it turns into a mess real quick getting hung up in everyones lines.Chetopa usually has plenty of area to snag from the bank.

12. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    would it be worth the 4hr trip to miami,oklahoma if i decide to go

13. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Joe it's worth a trip to Miami when they are running.

If redmond is releasing water or they get some hvy rains down south is when you want to go.

You can snag from the bank at miami at the city park but it does get a little bis when the spoonies get in there.Lots more fun to use a boat and head down river a little ways.

It's a little harder to snag at Chetopa due the bolders.You can lose a lot of hooks/sinkers there.

14. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    thanks for that info i wanna try miami with a boat but mine is an old 72 and the motor on it is shot big time wont even turn over. i dont mind snaggin from the bank tho cuz i'll go where no one else will when it comes to fishing:smile2:

15. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Most times you can go to the west side 200-300yrd from the dam and get away from most and catch just a many.

Good luck when you go.If you have never done it be ready for a fight when you hit one in the tail in fast current..:tounge_out::crazy:

16. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    :smile2::smile2::smile2: ok i'll keep that in mind lol. but dont worry i got a 12ft shakespear power rod. with a salwater quantum Q65 spinning reel spooled with 65lb test with his name on it :smile2:. if a fish breaks that ima have a tuna stick. witha shakespear tidewater reel spooled with 85lb power pro waiting for em.:smile2:

17. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Sounds like your geared & ready..Good luck!

18. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    wen was the last time u went snaggin n2fishn

19. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Its been about 5 yrs.

But I made many many trips down there over the last 20yrs.

Back then you could snag three but you could not release one if you got it to shore.

4-5 of us would head down on Fri get our three before midnight then start again after midnight and get three more then head home with everyones 6 fish limits.

Sometime's we would take the boats other time we would just snag off the bank.

I have a lot of video of us down there snagging.

20. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Tom, the videos might be kinda cool to watch and see.

When I went to the National Gathering In KY with Garyf in 2006 there were a few people snagging on the Cumberline River it sure looked like a lot of really hard work to me. Then his line snapped and tore his arm really bad that was enough for me. There was blood everwhere

I was thinking I am going to stick with catfishing. Even if I did not catch anything.

However do all people that snag leave all there fishing line on the bank it was everywhere and everywhere I could of spooled 15-20 reels I think.