Neosho River Access

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Carp Killer, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Where can a guy get a boat on the neosho river at?I live in chanute and we only have one place but you are limited to about 1 mile of river between the dams and thats it.I'm looking for some new river to go bowfishing on.I"m tired of looking at the same things every weekend.

2. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    The only place that I know of is Chetopa. However, its only about 2 or 3 miles until you cross into oklahoma. I am not familiar with the Neosho between chetopa and chanute. I would think there would be a boat access somewhere in between.

3. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I don't know what kind or how heavy your boat is but you can pull up to a bridge that spans the river, on 1 side or the other slide it down the side of the bank. If you have a 4 wheeler it would make it even easier getting it out.

Also, find the owner of the land the the river runs trough and ask him if he would let you enter the river through his land. If you get permission take care of the land like it was yours!! If the first one says no move up to the next.

There is another ramp near Chetopa, it is north of the dam in Riverside(??) Park. You can run north to the Oswego dam which anout 10 miles.

4. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks Guys! The problem i have is that my boat is 17 ft. and weighs alot.Probably close to 700 to 800 pounds if not more. I know that me and two buddies could barley move it when i had to work on it this winter.Trying to find a spot that i won't sink the trailer is the problem.

5. drifter106

drifter106 Member

State:
    kansas
    I know for sure there is a ramp at the water plant in Iola. Many years ago we use to put in at Humboldt north of the river bridge. You can put in up at the dam at Burlington down in the park area on the west side of the dam (old river bed). Takes you out into the river. Good luck!!

6. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I have found 7 private places to drop in at. I live in the country and I just went out and talked to all of my neighboring farmers and asked them if they had any land along the river. There is also a boat ramp at Oswego and St. Paul at the game reserve. If you want to go some time just send me a PM.

7. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    You have to be careful on any river other than the Arkansas, MO, or KAW rivers. All other rivers are privately owned. No matter where you put in at, if you travel up or down the river, every time the ownership changes hands on the land adjacent to the river, the river ownership changes also. So technically you could get into trouble tresspassing.:crazy:

Just some information.

8. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I have used the local ramps at Chetopa (two at the dam...one at the dam and one at the other end of the river park) and one upstream of the dam (Elmore park)....as well as Oswego.

Just be prepared for shallow water...it seems like high water levels are rare anymore.

As far as private ownership and tresspassing....from my experience over the last 30 years is that as long as you aren't doing something you shouldn't be doing...nobody will mess with you as long as you stay in your boat. Being on their land is a whole other thing.

Just be respectful...and that will usually get you by.