Neighbor gave me a free boat

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by tfabry, Jan 24, 2007.

1. tfabry

tfabry New Member

State:
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    Hey my neighbor gave me a free yes free boat and motor. Her husband deid about 9 years ago and it hasent been touch since. I t was winterized prior to his death and its been sitting inside ever since. So here it is - its a 1968 16' aluminum startcraft v hull with a 35hp johnson 2 stroke. I took the cover off the motor and it looks new, took the plugs out and she rolls over very smooooth, I can hear the pistons moving up and down and from what I can see the inside of the cylinders are very clean and shiney. So besides fresh gas, changing the lower unit oil oh the battery actually took acharge and load tests - is there anything else I should do prior to starting it in spring??

2. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Don't forget bill of sale, title, registration, bilge pump if equipped, drain plug, safety gear, CG/DNR check. If your going to haul it on the road, licens trailer if required, check the trailer tires & wheel bearings and replace if at all doubtful, and wiring harness and lights. If trailer has surge brakes, check for proper function and no water in brake fluid. Take it to a ramp on a day when there's no traffic, float it off the trailer for a good long time and check for leaks.

Motor most likely could use a new water pump impeller kit. Would probably pay to have a good boat mechanic check the whole motor out. Have someone recommend one.

Someone else chime in here and pick up what I've missed. I sold mine 1 1/2 years ago and havent thought about it for a while.

Great find. Have fun!

Dennis

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Wow, I guess you got a pretty good deal huh?:big_smile:

I think Dennis summed most of it up. We got an old Lund with a 35hp Mercury last Spring. Had a lot of trouble with the motor for a while, then got it fixed and it has been running awesome since.

One thing we had happen that really was very dangerous was, we didn't check the trailer bearings and stuff, and we were on the way fishing one day. When we stopped for gas the tires were smoking, litterally! One of them was just barely hanging on, we were near a truck repair place that offered to fix it for us, we did not know it would end up costing around $700 though, although we had to have a new axle and everything.

4. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    wish i had a neghbor like that lol...

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If the carb was drained then change out the impeller before fireing it up because those things can get brittle after setting for that long. Replace all the fuel lines and clean out the gas tank and then fire it up.

If the carbs weren't drained then you will have to rebuild those or that carb for sure. Ck the wireing under the cowleing to make sure no are brittle with the instulation peeling off. If you have a couple doing that then some good liquid tape should square that away real quick.
    Setting inside will most likely be the best thing that could have been done for it as for setting that long and if it was winterized I would say the oil was changed in the lower unit prior to parking it.
    Good luck with it and keep us posted on the refire.

6. tfabry

tfabry New Member

State:
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    Yeap I cant wait until the ice goes out and the weather starts to warm up. My neighbor and her decessed husband use to run set lines too. Shes a very valuable asset for knowledge. We live on the Wolf river in Wisconsin and she has lived here for the past 50 years. She knows quite a bit about the river. Otherwise the boat looks like new no dents, scratches and everything is there. The paperwork goes into the state tomorrow. I will let everyone know what happens when its time to fire her up.

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Man sounds like you feel into the outhouse and cameout smelling like a ROSE.:lol: Congrads on your new boat .Take care of it and it will last you a long time. Have fun with it but respect the waters and STAY SAFE!!

8. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    after you make sure its safe n dependable i would surly ask your neibor to go fishing with you anytime she wants to go!, also see if there is anything you can do for her. somtimes its not the money that counts the most!

9. tfabry

tfabry New Member

State:
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    We take very good care of her - just like Mom or sometimes even better than mom. We bring her fresh fish very often, rabbit and deer too. Plus she knows that she can call at any time and either myself, my wife or the kids will be there for her - and we are. Some people call it strange I call it being a good neighbor. Hopefully someday if my wife is in the same situation as her there will be somebody there to just be a neighbor. But in todays world it makes me wonder. Oh my neighbor lady would love to go fishing but at 94 she doesnt get around too much. But she will have plenty of fish.

Thanks and see ya Todd

10. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Congrats-If I were you I would take her some nice catfish fillets sometime!