Neen advice on flathead catfish lake?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by monstercatmatt, Mar 17, 2008.

1. monstercatmatt

monstercatmatt New Member

State:
    n.c.
    Alright im plannin on catchin me a flatty this year hopefully this weekend up at badin lake any of u guides or just you guys that actually get to fish there alot.Can u give me any good advice on finding them and the best bait to use any help is very appriciated

2. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'll probably get pounded for this by the Badin guys but if I were gonna go huntin flatheads I'd go one more lake up the Yadkin chain and hit High Rock. High Rock is an awsome flathead lake.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    High Rock is two lakes up from Badin. Tuckertown, which used to be the best flathead fishery in the state is in between the two. Are there even enough catfish in Tuckertown to warrant going after them anymore? I know guys used to just throw piles of fish into the water by the ramps there all the time.

4. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeah I forgot about Tuckertown. I appologize but the lake to be on for flatheads is still High Rock.

5. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    find a downed tree and its your guess which side he is lying on

6. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Live bait, brim, perch, whatever really, they will be tight to structure and deeper durign the day and shallower and roaming some at night. Water temp. is getting right, good luck!

7. Brendin0702

Brendin0702 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You should use cut bait (bluegill,eels) and sometimes for the 1-4 pound cats you can use livers or nightcrawlers. I never fished there before but I know Any cut or live shad and bluegill will work if they are hungry.
    good luck on the water I wish I was out there.

8. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    I would have to agree with usin a whole bluegill. People who fish for flatheads tell me thats its a great way to catch a monster.

9. flatheadfisher

flatheadfisher New Member

State:
    NC
    It is too early in the spring for me to target flatheads and expect to catch many consistently. In about a month or so, I will start fishing flats adjacent to creek channels in the 10' - 20' range using live bream. I never use anything other than live bait for flatheads. I prefer bream but carp, large gizzard shad, bullheads, crappie, bass, etc will also work. When the water is still cold, they can be caught on cut shad. But, when the water is that cold, I am usually fishing for other cats and catch heads by accident.

I have never had much success at catching flatheads at Badin. But, I haven't targeted heads at Badin too many times. I like the other Yadkin chain lakes for flatheads.

10. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Lemme ask you guys a question.... we have the ability to get our hands on some bream and bluegills anywhere from 3" to 7" long and also know where to get suckers and other 'Bait Fish' around this size. Is this the size you guys are using for flatties or am I mistakin?? Also know where to get really nice small bullheads. I know the species for bait just not sure of what size's you guys refer to....... Ive seen post from guys that have caught BIG flats on bream heads as big as your thumb nail and others that catch them on live gills the size of your whole hand. Whats right??

11. flatheadfisher

flatheadfisher New Member

State:
    NC
    I prefer the biggest bluegill I can catch. But, I have caught many 'heads over 40 pounds on green sunfish the size of a silver dollar - usually when I am catching them like crazy and I am running out of bait. I like the bigger baits because that helps weed out the smaller fish. With that said, I have managed to catch 'heads on bait not much smaller than they were. But, that is an exception, not the rule.

12. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    In my opinion there is no limit to the size of bait that you use. I've seen six pound fish eat bait nearly as big as they are and I've seen big cats eat very small baits. The thing to do is to present a variety of baits in all different sizes then when you get hit adjust all the other rods with bait of the same size and species. The bite will often depend on the area that your in and the time of year. I.E. if your fishin near a crappie hole the bait of choice might be crappie or when the gills are in the shallows they might be bait of choice. If a big fish is hungry he can eat darn near anything he chooses but sometimes they are like us and get picky.

Shane

13. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey Flatheadfisher is that a high yellow High Rock flathead you got on your avatar pic? :big_smile:

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Size really to me doesn't really make a difference. I've caught/hooked almost all my big fish on small baits and oddly enough cut baits. I would say that if you're after a biggun' then I'd stick with sunfish about the size of your hand. The only real big fish(45+) that we got in the boat came on a giant bluegill and I mean giant. It was probably close to a pound. That said if you put a bait in front of a fish when he's feeding he's gonna eat it period. Catfish are opportunistic feeders and they can't afford to say "I can't eat that b/c it's cutbait and in all the catfish books they say I only eat big live bait". Hope some of this makes some sense.