needs some tips on where to fish in Conway

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by sigmanusportsman, Aug 3, 2008.

1. sigmanusportsman

sigmanusportsman New Member

State:
    Texas (living in AR)
    I have been a student at UCA for over four years now with one more semester to go and I still have not caught a big ole river cat... I have been fishing on Wright Patman Lake and the Sulphur River since I could drive and have stocked my freezer several times. But this is new territory and I don't know where to start. I have gone out to Toad Suck and Beavor Fork, but no luck. I don't have access to a boat which limits me to the great spots. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    hey jeff, sounds like you're from texarkana area----me too----there is a fellow on here with screen name of jtrew that fishes that area adn if u look him up on here i'll bet he can help u out. also try TopSgtLawrence

3. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    jeff, we hang out on arkansas river talk mostly

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Jeff. Boy, good bankfishing spots are really hard to come by. I've yet to find a spot in central Arkansas where I felt I was seriously fishing from the bank. If you had a boat, I could put you onto several good spots in the Toadsuck/Bigelow area. There are a couple of spots that look interesting to me, but I haven't tried them out yet. Again, they've been catching fish there from a boat. Go to your Google satellite map of the Bigelow area. Look at hwy. 113 just east of Bigelow, and you'll see an alternate 113. Follow that a little way, and you'll see where it crosses over the Fouche River. Just before the bridge, you'll see a place where they've been launching boats; just past the bridge, you'll see another. From talking to someone, I got the idea that a concrete ramp had been built at one of these spots, but if it has, I don't know which one...and I'm not even sure it's been built. Anyway, fishing from the bank at either one of these spots, or even under the bridge, looks interesting. But as I said, I haven't fished there yet, nor do I know of anyone who has tried it from the bank. If you do give it a try, please let us know how you do; or reports from anyone you talk to about fishing there, for that matter.

5. sigmanusportsman

sigmanusportsman New Member

State:
    Texas (living in AR)
    I think I have been to the ramp on that river. one of my friends is a grad student doing research on aligator gar and that is were he lets his boat in. sorta looking for somewhere closer. how are the shad at Lake Conway spillway?

6. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    We do okay catfishing at Camp Robinson WMA...it backs up to Lake Conway, but I think that area of the WMA is restricted. We also do pretty good at Willow Beach Lake, near Scott.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Can't say firsthand, but with the river at its current level, you should find some right below the dam.

8. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I have netted a ton of shad on conway over the years. In fact, I netted a cooler full about 3 weeks to out in the middle of the lake by the I-40 bridge close to the Mayflower exit.
    I am sure there will be some below the spillway too.
    good luck,
    ccat

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Jeff, I have not fished that lake yet, I would like to but have not gotten the chance, We have an inactive member, that fished it often by the Name of Seedtick, Hw mostely fished for redear there.