Needs some advice

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by stinkbaiters, Jan 5, 2007.

1. stinkbaiters

stinkbaiters New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey Im in the chicago area enjoying a mild winter. I've been trying to catch some cats but cannot even get a nibble. Any one out there know how to catch catfish in mild winters or in any unfrozen waters. I've been using the usual stinkbaits and even shiners and small bluegills and nothing. any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Cut bait would be a safe bet. Gets a good scent out into the water and makes it easier for them to find it (blood trail).

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    First of all WElcome to the BOC.
    now as far as stinkbaits as you have done found out they don't don' work to well in the winter time. Don't think th e water is warm enough to release the smell. Your better off using some cut bait in about 1" chunks.Shad cut up in chunks works real well. Best of luck on the fishin.

4. stinkbaiters

stinkbaiters New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thats two that suggest cut baits. I will give it a shot and keep you posted. Thanks guys!

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tracy welcome to the BOC. I would agree with the cut bait also. If you are going to use stink bait I would suggest you use some type of stove and water pan to heat the stinkbait up this time of year. I also use pet milk to thin during cold weather. The idea is to thin the bait enough so that it will break down and attract the cats eaiser.

6. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Welcome and cut bait should work just fine. Going out myself in about 30 min. to do some channel cat fishing and will be using chicken liver. They work the best for me this time of year. good luck with whatever bait your using.

7. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Tracy.Good luck on your fishing trip.

8. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i agree on the chicken liver! as much as i swear by DK's, punchbait in the winter months isnt as effective. the livers been doin good here lately.

9. stinkbaiters

stinkbaiters New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wow! I've been a BOC member for only about 24 hours and have already recieved alot of helpful advice. Went out and got 3 channels today. Used the cutbait like you all said and put a little bacon grease on it for a kicker. I hope I can help someone out like you all have helped me.

10. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Welcome to the BOC!!!Like everyone had suggested,you can never go wrong with fresh cutbait.Glad to hear that you did good on your trip.BTW,what part of Illinois are you from and where do you fish?

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC from another Mo. member.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i would have to agree. and it worked too. small cut bait. as the bite is usually light.

13. stinkbaiters

stinkbaiters New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey Kenny. I am from the souther suburbs of Chicago. I like to fish at Issak Walton forest preserve for what I call killin' time fishin'. Thats in Homewood Illinois. Also I like to fish the Kankakee river for the big stuff. Charters on lake Michigan are always a blast. Last August, I reeled in a 32.5lb brown trout. Also the Menamanee River in nortern Wisconsin is a hotbed for monster bass and northerns.

14. stinkbaiters

stinkbaiters New Member

State:
    Illinois

15. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    You gotta love Lake Michigan...the Steelheads and Salmons put up a nasty fight!!!The last place i went fishing for them was in Zion,il.We were only out for about 1hr until i got sick from the 2ft waves:big_smile: .That was 4yrs ago.Hows the K3 for channels or Flats?I havent been there for over 10yrs now.My weekly spot is the Fox and the local forest preserves that have Flats in them.My weekends are usually the Rock River(Oregon,Rock falls) or Starved Rock.

16. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Try to get a depth map of the waters you are fishing and look for the deep holes where catfish might concentrate and use something that'll put off a good scent. Stink bait seems to seize up in colder waters. BE PATIENT! Good luck

17. whiskerbiscuit

whiskerbiscuit New Member

State:
    Blue Island, Ill
    I say an outing this year on the rock or kankakee river:big_smile_2:......Mike

18. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Are there any Com-Ed power plants in the area??? If so, look at maybe fishing the hot water discharge areas for cats.

Ray

19. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Cut bait is always a safe bet. The fresher the better.

20. goosehead32

goosehead32 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Tracy,

Welcome!! This post is a perfect example of why BOC is so cool!! Glad you had some success. I think another thing to point out about winter fishing is that the fish probably aren't moving around as much...especially in lakes. That means you may have to go out with is a few different spots in mind and be prepared to move after a bit of fishing if you haven't gotten bit. Good luck!