Needing to put our beloved cat down

Discussion in 'The BOC's Animal House' started by alpal16, Jan 24, 2009.

1. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Well, this is somewhat of a sad story. We have had Kitty for 13 years since we rescued her from the alleyways of Chicago in the dead of Winter. Don't know how old she was when we found her---maybe 1-3 years old.

She has had a great life and is our favorite cat out of 3 that we have. Anyway, about 4 years ago she developed feline asthma. Since that time we have been managing the disease with a combination of inhaled steroids and a bronchodilator. Well the inhaled steroid ceased to work about 6 months ago and we have been using a combination of injected steroids and oral steroids.

Recently, scans of her lungs revealed a collapsed lung lobe, significant scarring and a lung tumor. Since that time she her weight has fluctuated, she has become increasingly lethargic and her breathing has become significantly labored and rapid. She got a long acting steroid shot a couple of days ago, which seemed to help some, but she is definitely on the decline. The vet we see says Kitty has the worse case of asthma she has ever seen. That coupled with her decline and other indications on the lung scans have convinced us that now is the time to put her down. She just can't get comfortable and we want to avoid an emergency situation of her going into respiratory distress. So, we have scheduled the deed to be done tomorrow afternoon. This is definitely a hard decision for us, but we think this is in the best interest of the animal before she gets any worse, which could happen any day now. We will miss our Kitty :sad2::sad2: but think this is the best thing to do right now.

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Srry to hear of this. And I don't mean to lessen what you are going through by saying this.

This is a Compliment to you, your Veterinary care and your thoughtfulness towards this animal you think so much of. Would that all creatures dependant on us have what you have shown this animal.

Thanks, John.

3. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Sorry to here that. They become family members. You've done all you can and the suffering will be over. My sympathies to your family.

4. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    I feel for ye brother. I had to put mine down 2 yr ago because he had feline lucimia.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sorry to hear this but if she's suffering and all has been done possible, you have no choice. Would break my hart to loose mine, but someday will. Sorry for you and family.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thats a hard choice we all face someday as pet lovers. Prayers sent.

7. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    My thoughts are with you, I have gone through it several times, it hurt every time. My last one was a year ago, Tigger was 16 and had a good life . I miss her company.

8. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Thanks to everyone who has responded to my post or contacted me. Went to the vet today and had Kitty put down. The vet was very kind and gave us plenty of time with our animal. She did not suffer as she was anesthetized prior to be putting down. It was extremely hard to go through, but I am convinced we did the right thing at the right time.

Thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers. It really means a lot.

Take care all.

9. gonefishing

gonefishing New Member

State:
    Near Monroe LA
    My sympathies to your family.We had to have one put down a few years back and still think about our old Gray Cat.

10. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm sorry about Kitty, Alex. It's never easy, even when they've had a good, long life.
    We lost our 15 year old red tabby in the ice storm 2 years ago and I was just thinkin of him again.
    Hope your family will be able to treasure memories without the sharp pangs... soon.

Carolyn