Needing some advice

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by RiverKing, May 2, 2006.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I have a 1979 35 HP evinrude, that runs great, but last time i took it out, i was have some trouble with the shifter...When you put it in gear, and puch the throttle all the way up and running wide open, it was popping out of gear into neutral..it would only stay in gear if i held the shifter in place..anyone have any suggestions about this, will it mess anything up if i keep running it like that?? needing some help please

2. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Mornin, have a look at this thread ..... this thread

Joe

3. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Thanks Joe, appreciate that alot..sounds like that may be common

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    You didn't specify whether you have a tiller handle or remote controlled shift / throttle.

If you have a remote throttle / shift control, read on...

Provided there's nothing else wrong with your motor and you haven't had it apart recently, it's may be as simple as adjusting the control cable right where it attaches to the motor on the shifter side.

There's a big adjustment knob on the outer cable where it attaches to the motor - turn it one way or the other to lengthen or shorten the cable throw. You want to adjust the cable so that the shift lever is farther forward when the control is in "forward." Shouldn't take more than just a few turns.

We had this problem with a 1977 35hp Evinrude. Adjusting the cable fixed it.

If that's not the problem, you'll find great advice over in BobPaul's "Outboard Repair" forum.

5. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    so would i want to turn the knob clockwise or countercloskwise, my engine is not a tiller handle..it has a regular old shifter and cables going into the motor

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Probably counter-clockwise - that will lengthen the total distance from the control box to that point, but the cable inside stays the same length. The result is that the end of the cable attached to the shift lever on the motor wil move forward, which is what you want.

You really can't screw it up if you keep track of which direction you're turning and how many turns - if you turn it one way and it doesn't help, undo it back to where you started, then go a few turns the other way. If nothing makes a difference, put it back where you started and ask for help over in the outboard repair forum and it'll get a bit more technical.

But really if you haven't taken anything apart, it's unlikely (but not impossible) that the problem is inside your motor. Try the simplest fix first before you get out the cutting torch and come-alongs... :eek:oooh:

7. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    good deal, thanks alot Mr.T..I pitty the fool...:big_smile:

8. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    well i have tried to adjust the screw on the gear shift cable, and it didnt seem to help, it is still popping out of gear, and the motor feels like it jerks every so often...almost like it bounces once or twice, i dont know if it is wanting to pop out of gear when it does that or what..all i know is that i need to get that crap fixed, i dont want to break down in the middle of the ohio river