needing a new fish recipe

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by nannycat, Feb 24, 2009.

1. nannycat

nannycat New Member

State:
    mid AZ
    any ladies (or guys) out there want to share fish recipes? We catch different kinds of fish, so any suggestions would be great. I've been experimenting with different kinds of coatings to fry fish...

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Nanny! Check out The BOC Diner, under the Special Topics area. There are dozens and dozens (hundreds?) of recipes for catfish there. I know I've posted 50-75. Lots of other good recipes, too.

3. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Fried fish is hard to beat, but here lately I've been grilling some. I coat the fish two different ways.

1. Fiesta Brand Fajita seasoning ( I use this in almost everything, it's a really good spice), Garlic Powder, salt, and butter.

2. Fresh chopped garlic, fresh cilantro, onion powder, salt and pepper, lemon

You'll need to make a foil (very heavy duty) pan to put on the grill, or buy a cheap aluminum pan, with holes in it, that's made for grilling. I haven't tried grilling on a cedar plank yet.

I put it on the grill and turn every 4 minutes. I think it cooks a little slower when you turn it often. When it's done, enjoy. This goes good with broccoli and rice and an ice cold bud light.

4. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I am a die hard, cornmeal battered deep fried fish man, but an old feller told me about this recipe to fix on fish like stripper.

Scale one side of the fish, then fillet both sides. Do not skin.

Put fish on non stick baking sheet skin side down. Coat fillet with 1/4 inch mayonaise, salt and pepper and sprinkle real lemon juice over the top. Cook at 325. (the mayonaise will turn light brown and should be done on a 3/4 inch fillet).

5. Suthrngntlmn

Suthrngntlmn New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Here is something we cook often at our house, if you're not familiar with roux let me know and I can post a recipe. Hope y'all enjoy!

BAKED CATFISH SAUCE PIQUANTE

2 – 4 lb. of catfish bone in or fillet
    4 tbs roux
    2 cans of rotel tomatoes (drained)
    1 large onion (chopped)
    1 large bell pepper (chopped)
    2 stalks of celery (chopped)
    2 cloves garlic (crushed)
    2 cans of tomato paste
    Seasoning to taste

Mix roux and onions till wilted. Then add rotel, bell pepper, celery, and tomato paste, add just enough water to prevent sticking, sauce needs to be thick. Cook for at least 1 hour (the longer you cook the sauce the better it is); add garlic about 10 minutes before sauce is done; adjust seasoning to your taste while sauce is cooking.

After sauce is cooked

Put a couple of spoonfuls of sauce in bottom of baking dish and layer fish in pan. Pour remaining sauce over fish, cover tightly and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for approx 45 minutes to an hour till fish is cooked.

Serve over rice and enjoy!

6. 1 4 Fishing

1 4 Fishing New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The best i have got is easy to make this is for catfish. Furst you soke the fish in mountdew over night thin take beer and muster you make the beer yellow with the muster and dip your fish in it thin batter it in yellow corn mill and fry thim in a deep fryer at 350 until golden bron

7. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Why are you only scaling one side? Is the fillet butterflyed?

8. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Sprinkle in Cookie's seasoning and grill or broil. Sometimes one can get tired of batter.

9. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Sometimes we simply soak some catfish in a baggy with lousiana hot sauce for a few hours, then just roll it in flour,cornmeal mix. Its not hot, just spicy.

10. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have eaten fish fixed a lot of ways but if its not dipped in a mixture
    of milk with an egg beaten in battered in yellow cornmeal with salt
    and deep fried to a golden brown you are messing up good fish.

11. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Want a shore lunch or fried fish in a hurry with no mess. Easy!
    Take a sleeve of Ritz crackers, crush in a plastic bag and add 1 Tsp EACH of cayenne pepper, black pepper and white pepper - use less if your a p - wahtever. I don't use any additional salt but you may wish to. Cut catfish fillets into strips about the size of large shrimp and try to get thhem all the same size, then rinse and pat mostly dry. Drop two or three at a time into the bag with the cracker crumbs, shake then drop into 360-375 degree peanut oil. Catfish, hushpuppies and cole slaw served with sweet iced tea - now get ready for the best meal you will ever eat.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    this one is one i like.

2 fish fillets. lay in foil. top with cream mushroom soup. 1/2 can un mixed. use the condensed. top with 1 carrot sliced 1/4" thick and a stalk of celery cut same way. sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper on it wrap tight and bake at 350 for 30 min. open foil and top with your favorite cheese. broil till cheese bubbles and slide on a plate.:wink: